Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Favorite View for Drinks in Rome,Florence,Venice

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 06:53 PM
margo

I am leaving for Italy in 12 days. Can't believe it. Have list of many restaurants but where should we have drinks overlooking a view I will never forget!<BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 11:12 PM
linda

Margo, <BR>I wish I were going back with you. We just returned from three weeks in late May and June.Here are my thoughts. Rome, La Terrazza at the top of the Eden hotel. Go for cocktails at sunset.It is on the 6th floor and it is a great view of the city. Florence again at susnset go to Piazza St. Michaelangelo. You will porpbalnby need to take a cab.It is a tourist stop but below the bus stop is a cafe and you see the entire city of Florence in front of you and enjoy a drink. Venice take the Cipriani boat at St. Marks square over to Guidecca and have a drink at Cips. We ate dinner so I don't know if they serve drinks outside or only dinner, but stay for dinner as it is well workth it. You will need reservations but it is not a very formal restauant. You overlook the lagoon back to Venice proper.It was our last night in Venice and the sunset made our evening absolutely perfect.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 09:31 AM
Lori

For an absolutely unforgettable, picture-perfect view, eat at Hotel Aurora (or just have drinks at the cafe next door) in Fiesole, just 15 minutes outside of Florence if you take bus #7. While I found some dishes (we had dinner there) to be a bit over-priced, the view completely makes up for it if you reserve in advance a view-side table for 2. If you're really into great views don't forget to walk around Fiesole on the opposite side of the square, where's there is also an unbelievable view, though no restaurants.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 09:42 AM
John

Don't miss the view from the Tiepolo Bar in the Europa Regina Hotel in Venice. Sit outside overlooking the Grand Canal, gondolas and a drop dead view of Della Salute at dusk.<BR><BR>In Rome the view at the restaurant on the Roof of the Minerva Hotel is unmatched. You can go for drinks and almost touch the Pantheon with a panoramic view of Rome. Dusk is best.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 10:52 AM
Dona

Margo,<BR><BR>In Rome, I, too, love the Hotel Eden. The roof of the Forum Hotel overlooks the Roman Forum (no surprise, I guess! (LOL)), and, although I haven't been there yet, La Pergola is supposed to have a wonderful view of Rome.<BR><BR>In Venice, the Danieli and Gritti Palace have tables with a view.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip!<BR><BR>Dona

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 11:24 AM
Bob

Good suggestions above. Another thought: Nice areas for a beer and people watching during the day: Piazza Navona in Rome, St Marks Square in Venice and the main square in Florence at one of the outside restaurants. The people views are great

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Rod Hoots

Try the rooftop bar at Danieli Hotel in Venice. There is a terrace with a wonderful view of the lagoon. The restaurant is next to the bar and is excellent, although very expensive.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Jan

Lori is correct about Florence. You should strongly consider heading up to Fiesole (pronounced fuh-so-lee). <BR>Spectacular views and photo ops. <BR>We stayed at the Villa San Michele, which is on a high terrace/cliff overlooking Florence. Beautiful pictures from there. The restaurant has seating on a balcony overlooking the city. But it's very expensive.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Joelle

The Tiepolo bar at the Europa and Regina has a great view on the Grand Canal, so has the rooftop restaurant at the Danieli (I think there is also a bar). <BR>Another place is La Linea d'Ombre (bar and restaurant) in the Dorsoduro area, just near Punta della Dogana (former customs office). The view on San Marco is great!

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 05:15 PM
Not

What about this phonetic pronunciation of Fiesole? First, fuh-so-lee is incomplete because it doesn't show which syllable is accented. Is it FUH-so-lee, fuh-SO-lee, or fuh-so-LEE? Second, I don't believe it. I've never been there, but I believe it's more like fee-EH-zo-leh, but it could be fee-eh-ZO-leh. Anybody know for sure?

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 05:44 PM
Rex

I believe you are on the right track when you said "fee-EH-zo-leh (but it could be fee-eh-ZO-leh)" - - but the emphasis might just as well contain the "Z" - - "liaison'ed" from the third syllable. <BR> <BR>Thus, maybe just as well represented as <BR> <BR>"fee-EZ-zo-leh" <BR> <BR>or it might be just as much an "ess" sound. <BR> <BR>"fee-ESS-so-leh" or fee-EZ-so-leh or even fee-ESS-zo-leh. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:52 AM
Livingston (Liv)

To Margo, Lori & Jan: <BR>In 2 weeks we go to Florence and want to go to both Piazzale Michelangelo (PM) and Fiesole to walk and view Florence from above. Rather than a cab isn't there a bus that can take us up to PM and we can walk down hill (perhaps a mile) back to the Pointe Vecchio? Do you know the bus # and where to catch it? We want to go by bus to Fiesole mid morning, walk, have lunch and return to Florence in mid afternoon. Any suggestions for lunch in Fiesole?

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:09 PM

Topping for possible answer to last post regarding bus to Fiesole and suggestions for lunch.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 04:26 PM
KT

Fee-EH-zo-leh is closest. I'll spare you the didactic drone about Italian pronunciation rules.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 07:17 PM
Kay

I had lunch on the terrace at Villa San Michele. The food was great and the view fabulous.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Needs advice

I like this idea of having drinks in a restaurant with a view. Can you do this at pretty much any such restaurant? Will they seat you in the same area of the restaurant as if you were there for a meal? I guess they wouldn't want you to take up a table that they could use for people buying dinner, so how do you time it so that they will be open for customers but you won't interfere with their dinner business? What do you say to the maitre d' so he knows what you're there for? I'd like to do this at the Minerva rooftop restaurant my last night in Rome, but I will do dinner instead if just going for drinks will result in being seated in an area of the restaurant where the view is not as good. Will there be outside seating around mid-May? If you can overlook my lack of sophistication, I will be grateful for any advice you give me.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:45 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Needs advice

Anybody? Rex, Capo, JohnG, S. Fowler or other sophisticate?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 12:30 PM
mike

good question

Old May 8th, 2002, 12:27 PM
topper

toppering

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -