Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   favorite swiss guidebook? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favorite-swiss-guidebook-427331/)

flygirl May 1st, 2004 07:19 AM

favorite swiss guidebook?

I am going guidebook shopping today. If DK makes a book about CH, I will likely buy it, but are there any others?

I will only be in Geneva, Zermatt, and in the vicinity of St. Moritz.

thanks!!

DavidD May 1st, 2004 07:51 AM

flygirl,

I'll be heading off to CH this summer, and I recently obtained a copy of the Rough Guide to Switzerland.

I've long been a fan of these publications, and RG's latest to CH doesn't disappoint. Formerly geared to mainly budget-oriented travelers, The Rough Guide now caters to a much wider audience, and as usual the guide is candid, comprehensive, and highly informative. In addition, you'll find extensive sections on Geneva, Zermatt, and the St. Moritz region.

Fodors, too, publishes a fine guide to CH. It's not as slick-looking as DK, but for my money it presents more historical and cultural background, and represents better value for money.

DavidD May 1st, 2004 08:06 AM

flygirl,

Pardon my re-appearance, but allow me to sharpen my point about DK guides. My comments concern DK's guides to Germany and Austria. I'm not aware of a DK guiude to CH.

yk May 1st, 2004 03:11 PM

flygirl-

When I went to Switzerland, I bought both Fodors & Frommers. Fodors was by far much better in describing the historic aspects of the sights, while Frommers have slightly more "practical" info. If I had to choose between the 2, I'd go for Fodors.

flygirl May 2nd, 2004 03:38 AM

thanks to both of you!

as it happens, Borders only had the insight guides. so the decision was made.

oh, how I lament the passing of the Travel Books and Language Center in DC. apart from Stanfords, the best travel bookstore I have ever been in.

damn Borders and B&N killing the indies (well, amazon too likely)

hopscotch May 2nd, 2004 04:25 AM

The Michelin Green Guides are my favorites. Handy and thin, they are full of maps and detail you won't find in most other books.

If you are a member of AAA, get their free Europe TravelBook and tear out the 20 pages on Switzerland for your trip. Also ask for a map (could be part of the Germany or Italy map?).

Yes flygirl, the corporate bookstore chains have all but written off any guidebook except those from the top 4 or 5 publishers. I happened to meet the regional manager of Waldenbooks who confirmed that. They only carry the best sellers, which makes it well nigh impossible for any other book to break into the loop. Barnes & Noble has a wider selection. Amazon carries far more than any bricks & mortar store, plus there is no sales tax and you'll get free shipping on most orders over $25.

You might try Alibris.com and buy a used copy of a guidebook since the only thing that changes in most of them is the date on the cover.

jmw44 May 2nd, 2004 05:04 AM

The best book before a trip is the old "Phaidon Cultural Guide to Switzerland", which is now out of print. Maybe a library will have it or one of the used books sites. No hotel or driving info. J.