Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Favorite stops between Seville and Granada?

Old Nov 6th, 2018, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Hello everyone! We are planning to rent a car and drive from Seville to Granada on December 29, making a couple of stops along the way. We're hoping to make the drive in one long day (I know it's not ideal for everyone, but it works for our family of four, including two teenagers), although we'd consider staying somewhere overnight. Would love some route suggestions (car rental advice would be great, too--I think we can pick up and drop off at the train stations).

So far we are considering Ronda/Acinipo and Antequera/dolmens. Alternatively, we'd drive down to the ruins of Baelo Claudia on the coast (we all have an interest in Roman ruins, and that one looks spectacular)--but that might not leave time for anything else.

Thanks so much for your recommendations!
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 09:12 AM

Cordoba ... visit the Mosque-Cathedral
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 09:34 AM

Cordoba isn't on the way between those cities and is such a big city itself, I wouldn't recommend it for a drive-by.

I think your idea is good -- Ronda and Antequera. I think the route would be obvious on a map if you chose those two.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 12:19 PM

I like Antequera and a smaller place not far from it, Iznájar, where I stayed for a week amid the olives. Since they’re both off the main highway between Seville & Granada, more efficient than the detour to Ronda. There’s a lake that almost surrounds Iznájar and a restaurant on the water that makes a very pleasant place for lunch.
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I wish we could make it to Cordoba this trip--next time for sure. And I'm glad to hear that Ronda/Antequera makes sense. I hadn't heard of Iznajar--it looks beautiful!

Please feel free to chime in with your favorite towns, sites, experiences in this area. I'm especially curious about the Roman ruins--has anyone been to Italica, Acinipo, or Baelo Claudia? Thanks!
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 02:37 PM

Ronda IME is the sight - the town with a deep gorge in it - upper older town nice but little reason to linger though can make a neat overnight stop or a few-hour stop.
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Good to know that Ronda wouldn't necessarily be a long stop! I'm primarily interested in seeing the bridge over the gorge, and maybe the Palacio de Mondragon. Acinipo is nearby, so we could stop there, too--I wonder if it's easy to find?
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 03:33 PM
kja

The Palacio de Mondragon is, IMO, well worth seeing.
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 07:32 PM
kja

BTW, it doesn't sound like you have time for it, but for future readers of this thread, note that there is easily enough in Ronda to occupy one for at least a full day, more if hiking is of interest.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

That's good to know, kja. We were considering hiking down into the gorge that morning--are there any other hikes nearby that you would recommend?

Speaking of hiking, what about el Torcal? Or the Caminito del Rey? We realized (regretfully) that we couldn't fit in the Caminito--plus a lot of the timed tickets for December 29 and 30 are already gone!
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 09:39 AM
kja

Sorry, but I can't help with specific hikes around Ronda -- I just remember reading about some and thinking that if I hadn't chosen a different location for hiking (Las Alpujarras), I would have enjoyed them.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 01:44 PM

El Chorro gorge is spectacular.
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Hello again everyone! Our departure date nears, and I wanted to check in one last time to see if folks had any opinions on the Roman ruins in the area--Italica (near Seville), Baelo Claudia (near the coast), Acinipo (near Ronda), ... ? We will be leaving Seville via rental (picking up at the train station) early Saturday morning and are staying in Ronda Saturday night. We need to return the car in Granada (also at the train station) by 4p on Sunday. We have a visit to the hammam booked for 6:30 that evening so we can push ourselves for the two days and then relax Anything else for us to note would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 03:50 AM

Ronda: don't forget the visist of the Cueva de P9ileta https://www.cuevadelapileta.org/text...on-2.htm#visit