Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Favorite rooftop bars & restaurants in Athens? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favorite-rooftop-bars-and-restaurants-in-athens-549885/)

tom_h Aug 7th, 2005 10:04 AM

Favorite rooftop bars & restaurants in Athens?

What all are your favorite rooftop bars & restaurants in Athens? (with acropolis view, of course!).

Grand Bretagne gets mentioned a lot but seems horribly expensive -- don't want to spend US$100 for a few martinis!

Does the Electra Palace Hotel still have a rooftop bar, after its recent renovation?

brotherleelove2004 Aug 7th, 2005 10:28 AM

Allow me to be the first to suggest the Attalos Hotel.

xaroula Aug 7th, 2005 03:17 PM

Olive Garden restaurant, the roof garden of the Titania Hotel (52 Panepistimiou)

m_kingdom2 Aug 7th, 2005 03:28 PM

I stayed at Grande Bretagne for six nights the winter before last. It's a superb property. The food, and drinks are of a standard to match.

The rooftop area was closed during the winter, but if the drinks there are as good as they are at Alexander's (the winter garden bar) then they're certainly worth the money. From memory the cocktails were priced at only 16EUR for martinis and suchlike (i.e. no champagne), and around 20EUR for ones with champagne. A few martinis would last hours, and it's worth the money for the view alone.

beanweb24 Aug 7th, 2005 03:40 PM

Thanassis for the best (and cheapest) souvlaki you'll ever eat...don't forget to order a side of tzatziki.

Judy Aug 7th, 2005 03:51 PM

We had dinner at the Grande Bretagne rooftop restaurant this spring. We paid approximately $220 for dinner for two including champagne apperitif and a cocktail, two appetizers, entrees and desserts and a very good bottle of wine. For the food, service and view, it really wasn't horribly overpriced...I would think a few martinis would definitely be worth it!

Catbert Aug 7th, 2005 04:21 PM

According to the website, the Electra Palace still has a rooftop bar. When I was there, pre-renovation it was one of my favorite places to hang out. It's where I fell in love with Greek pistachio nuts.

brotherleelove2004 Aug 7th, 2005 05:06 PM

And how about a drink at sunset at the top of Lycabettus Hill?

DenverDice Aug 8th, 2005 06:52 AM

Another vote for the Attalos Hotel rooftop bar

debby_fish Aug 8th, 2005 05:16 PM

Unfortunately the Electra Palace does NOT have a roof top bar, or a roof top restaurant or a roof top pool. We found that out the hard way - just got back 2 weeks ago.

TracyB Aug 8th, 2005 06:15 PM

We loved the Attalos Hotel rooftop bar..The view was awesome!!

sactomama Aug 9th, 2005 08:08 PM

Another vote for the Attalos rooftop bar. They have an excellent view, friendly & affordable service, and incredible ice cream if you're travelling with kids.

mzani Aug 10th, 2005 05:21 AM

1/ The lounge bar Galaxy for a drink at the Athens Hilton

2/ The perfect greek dinner at the restaurant Strofi on Rovertou Galli Street

jules4je7 Aug 10th, 2005 05:59 AM

Another vote for the Attalos Hotel -- it sits in the shadow of the Acropolis, and at night you can sit up there when your day is over and have a drink or two while looking at the Parthenon all lit up. I loved that.

The hotel itself is also reasonably priced, with a helpful staff and clean, basic but comfortable rooms. And it's very close to Athen's practically all new subway system.

Happy travels.

Jules

jjashworth Aug 14th, 2005 04:20 AM

We are still looking for a roof-top restaurant that isn't too boutiquie or terribly expensive. Is the Athalos a restaurant as well as a bar and would you recommend it not just for drinks?

brotherleelove2004 Aug 14th, 2005 09:21 AM

No restaurant at the Attalos, just a bar/lounge. At least that's the way it was when I was there last.

billbarr Aug 14th, 2005 03:12 PM

Virtus Restaurant is on the rooftop of Hotel Stanley, on Karaiskaki Square. We eat there at least once each time we visit the city. You can have your meal either inside the restaurant or on its outdoor terrace. The Maitre d' has asked us each time where we prefer to sit.

The food is very, very good and prices reasonable. The hotel is a 7 minute stroll from Omonia with the Metaxourghio metro stop right at its entrance.

The Stanley also has an excellent roof-top bar and seated area where you can enjoy your drinks.

The hotel is located, I figure, about 1.5 miles from the Acropolis and the views of it and the city below from the restaurant and bar are great.

Details of the Stanley can be found here:-

http://www.atitours.com/stanley.htm

Bill

wowjojo Aug 17th, 2005 07:35 PM

there are restaurants in the plaka area
which are rooftop,and not boutique or expensive, just dont know the names of them, ask at your hotel.