Favorite restaurants in Lisbon

Mar 11th, 2019, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Favorite restaurants in Lisbon

Looking for some of the favorite restaurants in Lisbon. Will be staying in the Rossio Square general area. I'm not interested in the most high
end establishments; but are interested in restaurants that provide a good sample of the local culture (certainly not touristy). Seafood in
obviously a plus. Will be in Lisbon in early April for about 6 nights.
Mar 11th, 2019, 10:11 AM

Stasha on rua Gaveas in the Bairro Alto. It is inexpensive.

Thin
Mar 11th, 2019, 02:30 PM

Bom Jardim. Best chicken ever. Seriously not fancy.
Mar 14th, 2019, 07:58 AM

Dining in Lisbon (reasonably priced)

In the Avenida da Liberdade Area
Terraço by Rui Paula
Bistro 4
Olivier Avenida

In the Trendy Principe Real
K.O.B. “Knowledge of Beef”
Tapisco
Gorki

In the Chiado
Largo
Tágide
O Cantinho do Avillez
Pizzaria Lisboa
Sacramento do Chiado

And of course there is the Time Out Market

Time Out Market

Last edited by Robert2016; Mar 14th, 2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: corrections
Mar 14th, 2019, 04:55 PM

Our favorite restaurant in Lisbon is Cervejaria Ramiro, recommended by the late Anthony Bourdain. It serves primarily fresh seafood! We ordered enormous oysters, small clams in a garlic & oil sauce, huge rock crabs, giant prawns, and razor clams. The razor clams was the only dish we didn't care for.

We enjoyed the roasted chicken, french fries, and red wine from the Douro Valley at Bonjardim. We did not like their creamed spinach.

Can also recommend Monte Mar in the Time Out Market.
Mar 14th, 2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by KarenWoo View Post
Our favorite restaurant in Lisbon is Cervejaria Ramiro, recommended by the late Anthony Bourdain. It serves primarily fresh seafood! We ordered enormous oysters, small clams in a garlic & oil sauce, huge rock crabs, giant prawns, and razor clams. The razor clams was the only dish we didn't care for..
Ever since I saw Anthony Bourdain's episode, I've been set on going to Ramiro. It's a hugely popular place. One thing makes me a bit nervous though. I see some of the reviews saying that because everything you order is sold by weight, the bills sometimes are just crazy expensive. I don't know whether those reviews are from disgruntled employees or local rivals. Did you find it to be fairly priced? I mean I don't mind paying the price that is on the menu, I just want to end up being overcharged especially since we are going as a group.
Mar 15th, 2019, 07:32 AM

A thousand seconds to Bom Jardin - amazing piri piri chicken.

I also second the recommendation for Cantinho de Avillez. Any of the Jose Avillez restaurants are a good choice.

If you're out in Belem, the tiny and casual Pao Pao Queijo Queijo serves sandwiches on some of the best bread I've eaten.
Mar 15th, 2019, 11:37 AM

Carabineros

Good seafood in general is expensive. Carabineros, which are generally sold by the grams, can easily break your budget since they can sell for around 78€/kilo in the market, with each Carabinero weighing up to .25 kilo or more.

One Carabinero to a plate
Mar 15th, 2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by minamax10 View Post
Ever since I saw Anthony Bourdain's episode, I've been set on going to Ramiro. It's a hugely popular place. One thing makes me a bit nervous though. I see some of the reviews saying that because everything you order is sold by weight, the bills sometimes are just crazy expensive. I don't know whether those reviews are from disgruntled employees or local rivals. Did you find it to be fairly priced? I mean I don't mind paying the price that is on the menu, I just want to end up being overcharged especially since we are going as a group.
Hi Minamax10,
No, we did not think Ramiro is expensive. Maybe it depends on what you order. According to my notes, in addition to the items I listed, we also had wine, of course, and we had ice cream for dessert. The total bill for two of us was 86 euros. This was the most expensive meal on our trip.
Mar 15th, 2019, 04:18 PM

Agree,, Ramiro is fairly priced. And memorable! OH, those carabineiros!!

My notes from 2016, including Ramiro:

LISBON FOOD NOTES Fall, 2016
Mar 15th, 2019, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by KarenWoo View Post
Hi Minamax10,
No, we did not think Ramiro is expensive. Maybe it depends on what you order. According to my notes, in addition to the items I listed, we also had wine, of course, and we had ice cream for dessert. The total bill for two of us was 86 euros. This was the most expensive meal on our trip.
Wow, I read again what you ordered and for that number of dishes with wine. 86euros for 2 people is great! I am hoping not to go over 40-50Eur per person with wine and coffee and desserts. I understand that seafood is going to be expensive. it' is in Japan and as an island nation, you would expect it to be cheaper .

Mar 15th, 2019, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Robert2016 View Post
with each Carabinero weighing up to .25 kilo or more. One Carabinero to a plate
I don't think I've ever seen this kind of ...shrimp? but I see them mentioned as a "must try" at Ramiro's. They are served as an individual dish, not to be shared, yes? For an older Japanese lady that would probably be enough for a whole meal! We'd like to try and share many different dishes. that's always fun. But I do want to try Carabineros!
Mar 15th, 2019, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy View Post
Agree,, Ramiro is fairly priced. And memorable! OH, those carabineiros!!

My notes from 2016, including Ramiro:

LISBON FOOD NOTES Fall, 2016
Oh, wow! Read the whole report Awesome! For me when planning out trips, food is as important as all of those sightseeing sites. Even when one is exhausted from a long day of sightseeing, getting to a great restaurant is like getting a second wind! So far (and i have to be fair) I've not done any extensive research, but the only restaurant that is calling my name is Ramiro. And Pasties de Belem (hopefully we'll be able to get a table on a Sunday )

I definitely need to get a "wow" restaurant for our last night. for about 80-100Eur with drinks per person. On our last trip to Madrid, we dined at the restaurant Goya in Madrid. Very classy surroundings and within the budget. https://www.mandarinoriental.com/mad...ogle&src=local Somehow, I don't seem to come across anything like that in Lisbon.
Mar 16th, 2019, 09:37 AM

Around Rossio Square are some "foodie" stops such as A Ginjinha. Just watch your belongings in Rossio Square.

If you are going to the Gulbenkian there is a version of a Food Hall on the 7th floor of the El Corte Ingles. I had that shrimp and black rice dish shown here at Tasca Chic (a Jose Avillez outpost). Very convenient location if you want to pick up some last minute gifts in the supermarket, also.

https://www.elcorteingles.pt/gourmet...tasca-chic/en/

Don't hesitate to use Uber to get around.

The best codfish cakes I had were at Confeitaria Imperial on Av Augusta de Aguiar. I don't have a preconceived list of where I have to eat, so glad I popped in there on a rainy night when I didn't feel like walking too far. Love those little surprises instead of having a "to do list" and stressing out about reservations.

As far as the pastry tarts, as long as they're hot, they're good. The lines at the place in Belem were ridiculous. Sorry I bothered. Not any better than ones I had at Pingo Doce's snack bar which I visited a few times since it was across from one of my hotels, or the Star Inn near the airport for breakfast (I like the smaller ones, more pastry less goo).

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 16th, 2019 at 09:52 AM.
Mar 16th, 2019, 10:23 AM

Mina: I may get battered for saying this but I did not find the food in Lisbon to be overwhelmingly great. We had dinner (one of several tasting menus) at Belcanto, which I thought would have been a big "WOW!" but apart from a couple of dishes, I just did not get that feeling, although the food was very good and service as well.

If you want to try Belcanto (book well in advance) I think you can get out for around that amount if you order a la carte, which is certainly possible. It's possible that we should have gone that route and been more satisfied. Since the big wow in my opinion is the seafood (and probably the pork in the countryside), you might choose to have two dinners at Ramiro, or have one dinner there and try another seafood restaurant that gets good reports. One I would have liked to have tried was Nunez in Belem.

I think that many people who write negative reviews on seafood restaurants in Spain and Portugal, and Italy, and elsewhere, go in without an understanding of the practice of selling fish and seafood by weight. And many do not understand what a .250 gram order of prawns actually turns out to be on the plate. Or they will ask for a whole fish but not ask the weight before ordering. I know you are more sophisticated than that, but I do think that naive diners, or people who do not ask questions or read up in advance, often turn out to be the source os so many poor reviews on mainstream review sites.
Mar 18th, 2019, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
Around Rossio Square are some "foodie" stops such as A Ginjinha. Just watch your belongings in Rossio Square.

Love those little surprises instead of having a "to do list" and stressing out about reservations..
The only time we could pop in without reservations was in Malaga for Churros and tapas in Seville! we were only a group of 7, so that was still double. Unfortunately, when planning for a group (this time about 15 people) I won't have the luxury of just going somewhere without booking and triple-confirming everything this time )

Great to know about Gourmet shops! Scared of pickpockets. What a horrid way of making a living *_*
Mar 18th, 2019, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy View Post
Mina: I may get battered for saying this but I did not find the food in Lisbon to be overwhelmingly great. We had dinner (one of several tasting menus) at Belcanto, which I thought would have been a big "WOW!" but apart from a couple of dishes, I just did not get that feeling, although the food was very good and service as well.

...go in without an understanding of the practice of selling fish and seafood by weight. And many do not understand what a .250 gram order of prawns actually turns out to be on the plate. Or they will ask for a whole fish but not ask the weight before ordering. I know you are more sophisticated than that, but I do think that naive diners, or people who do not ask questions or read up in advance, often turn out to be the source os so many poor reviews on mainstream review sites.
I'll check out Belcanto again. I really am looking for something that combines great food and sofisticated "old world charm" ambiance. There is no lack of good restaurnts in Tokyo, but that feel of being in Europe so to say would be a cherry on the top. I veer of Portugal, buf if anyone is reading who is considering a visit to Barcelona, we had an amazing lunch (Tue-Fri menu) at Caelis a Michelin star restaurant at the what was formerly the Palace Hotel. Lovely and creative food in gorgeous surroundings. For 36EUR including a drink! I thought that was money well spent. That was in 2014.

I've never ordered a dish based on weight. just never had an opportunity up to now. I can see how it can be intimidating. Perhaps, in my case since we are going as a group, it might be helpful to tell the server what the budget/person is an ask not to let us order over that amount. I am traveling with elderly Japanese ladies, we get full pretty quickly ) Again, since I've not been to Portugal before, AND if anyone is going to Madrid, I can suggest the following place,. SPECIAL MENU That was an insane amount of seafood, with drinks and dessert and flammable coffee ).... for like 40EUR per person. it was great and we'd never find anyting like this in Japan!! I really hope I can find something like that in Portugal. Something that leaves a lasting impression.
Mar 18th, 2019, 02:59 AM

Petiscaria Do Elevador, Rua da Bica Duarte Belo 62, Lisbon 1200-057, Portugal
Awesome little (very little, like 12 total seats inside) Brazilian restaurant next to Bica tram.