Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Favorite Restaurants/Hotels in Zurich (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favorite-restaurants-hotels-in-zurich-520186/)

travel_chef1 Apr 10th, 2005 08:28 PM

Favorite Restaurants/Hotels in Zurich

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for recommendations on hotels in Zurich. And if you happen to know, specifically, hotels that are baby-friendly and that may have a "family room" (two rooms interconnected) or a decent suite situation. We don't necessarily need a second bedroom, but a second room for the baby's crib and things. Looking for 4 or 5 star hotels.
I am also looking for restaurant recommendations for authentic Swiss cuisine, German cuisine, Italian cuisine and traditional AND modern European cuisine. All price ranges, please.
We will be visiting Zurich in about a month for 1 week.
Thanks for any and all feedback!

Cicerone Apr 11th, 2005 02:40 AM

There is a very good choice of 4-5 star hotels in Zurich. In addition to the ones I have listed below, there is a Marriott, a Park Hyatt and a Sheraton. Of those three, the Park Hyatt is the newest and the nicest, I would put the Marriott second before the Sheraton. Check their website for info.

You should be able to find connecting rooms and suites, ask about room size, for if you have a large room (say 35 square meters or more, may be offered as a junior suite) you can usually put a crib or roll away in the room, not sure if this is what you want. Some hotels offer family rooms, this is generally a 2-bedroom apartment with separate living room, again, not sure if this is what you want, also these may not be offered in 4-5 star hotels but more so in 3 star hotels, at least in my experience.

I think you would find all the hotels welcome children, but I would note that most of the hotels have windows in the rooms which open and/or french doors to terraces and these are not baby or toddler proof. It may be that the windows in the Park Hyatt do not open, perhpas someone who has stayed there could comment. It would be unlikely, IMO, to get the htoel to baby or toddler proof electric outlets, etc. You should be able to get a crib in most hotels, but do ask when making a reservation.

1. Baur au Lac
Talstrasse 1
8001 Zurich - Switzerland
Telephone: +41 1 220 50 20
Fax: +41 1 220 50 44
bauraulac.ch

THE hotel in Zurich with prices to match, great views of the lake and Alps.

2. Savoy Baur en Ville
Paradeplatz
CH-8022 Zurich
Switzerland
Tel. ++41 (0)1 215 25 25
Fax ++41 (0)1 215 25 00
savoy-baurenville.ch

Another luxury hotel in the heart of the city. Good location for business, shopping and restaurants.

3. Widder Hotel
Rennweg 7
CH-8001 Zürich
Switzerland
Telephone +41 1 224 25 26
Telefax +41 1 224 24 24
http://www.hotelwidder.ch

Fashion-forward hotel in a charming, mainly pedestrian area also with bars and restaurants.

4. Hotel Zum Storchen
Am Weinplatz
Zurich, Switzerland, 8022
Tel: 41 1 227 2727
Fax: 41 1 227 2700
http://www.summithotels.com

This is probably my favourite hotel in Zurich because I love its location (right on the river in the old town, good Alp views on a clear day) and charm. This would be quiet at night due to their river location and that they are in a car-free area. They have a lovely outdoor terrace for meals, and their restaurant is one of the best in town.

5. The Hotel Kindli
Pfalzgasse 1
8001 Zürich
tel: +41 (0)43 888 76 76
fax: +41 (0)43 888 76 77
http://www.kindli.ch

I have not seen the rooms, but it gets generally good reviews on the fodors.com site, and seems to have good prices. It is probably the most charming of the hotels mentioned here. It is in a very nice part of the old town. Their restaurant is excellent and is worth a trip even if you don’t stay there.

6. Central Plaza
Central 1
8001 Zürich
Phone: +41 (0)44 256 56 56
Fax: +41 (0)44 256 56 57
Room Reservations: +41 (0)44 256 56 55
www.central.ch

Very nice hotel on the river in a great location for sightseeing, shopping restaurants and business in Zurich. My only comment is that it faces one of the major tram intersections in Zurich, as well as a bridge and a generally busy street. This may be a noise issue, especially in the warmer months. Of course, this is Zurich so "traffic" is a relative term. You might want to ask for a high floor, or a courtyard. If there is air conditioning then the noise would be reduced considerably.

7. Steigenberger Bellerive au Lac
Utoquai 47
8008 Zürich
Phone: +41 (0) 1 / 2 54 40-00
Fax: +41 (0) 1 / 2 54 40-01
www.zuerich.steigenberger.ch

Nice hotel in a good location on the lake (across the street), a little bit out of the old town area, but certainly walkable from there. Some of the rooms have balconies. Rooms facing the busy main street would have very good lake views. If you choose this hotel, ask for a room on as high a floor as available, or on a side street room to avoid the busy street which fronts the hotel (of course no views from side street rooms).

I will post restaurants on another thread later.

gradyghost Apr 11th, 2005 03:04 AM

Hello Chef:

Cicerone did not mention the grandest of all Zurich hotels, the Dolder Grand. A few minutes from the center, but worth the inconvenience. As for restaurants, be sure to try Piccolo Accademia. Good luck. Gradyghost

Cicerone Apr 11th, 2005 03:07 AM

Below, in no particular order, are some of my favorite restaurants in Zurich. Note that Zurich is in the process of changing its area code from “1” to “43”, so you may get a recoding when dialing some of the numbers below that you need to re-dial with the new area code. The recording may be in German only. You may be able to find websites for some of these restaurants by googling the name.

1. Brasserie Restaurant Lipp
Uraniastrasse 9
Zürich
Tel: 41-1-211 1155

Popular local restaurant with Swiss and European dishes. No outside seating. Casual bistro--type atmosphere.

2. Juice Market
Augustinergasse
Tel: 01 211 69 33

Located in one of Zurich’s most romantic little alleys. Delicious fresh pressed juices and hearty sandwiches. Very casual.

3. Sprungli
21 Banhofstrasse

Famous chocolate shop with a restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, dinner and ice cream. Nice on a sunny day to sit outside, not sure it is worth it unless you can sit outside, as there are other better choices for inside dining.

4. Restaurant Bierhalle Kropf
In Gassen 16
Zurich
Telephone 41-1 221 1805

Swiss specialties in a nice setting in the old town.

5. Hotel zum Storchen
Am Weinplatz. 2
Zürich
Tel: Tel: 41 1 227 2727

Has a very good restaurant on the first floor with Swiss specialties (expensive and formal), a lobby bar serving tea and drinks with a fireplace (good for rainy afternoons), and the Barchetta bar, which serves food in the Colonnade Café which has outdoor tables (with heaters in winter) along the river.

6. Cafe Wuehre
Wuehre 11
Zurich
tel 41-1 211 26 53

A few houses down from the Hotel zum Storchen, closer to the Fraumunster, on a narrow pedestrian-only street right along the river. A wonderful tiny cafe. Very popular, so come early or make a reservation, esp on weekends. Great location right along the Limmat river in the midst of some interesting shops (bring plenty of money).

7. Adler’s Swiss Chuchi
Adler's Hotel
Hirschenplatz
Tel: 41-1 266 9696

Known for their fondue. They also have rachlette and Fondue Chinoise, which is pieces of beef and vegetables which you cook in stock. In the Neiderdorf area, charming cobblestone streets and car–free. A bit touristy, but they have menus in English and the food is good.

8. Kantorei
Spiegelgasse 33
Intersection with Neumarkt
Zürich
Tel: 41-1 252 2727

Very good Italian and fusion Italian-Asian food. Interesting part of the old town, a few blocks off the river.

9. Zum Grünen Glas
Untere Zäune 15
Zürich
Phone: 41-1-2516504

Very good modern French food near the University.

10. Rathaus-Café
Limmatquai 61
Zürich
Tel: 41-1 261 07 70

Casual bar and restaurant, nice spot on the river, esp the outdoor tables.

11. Gran Cafe
Limmatquai 66
Zürich
Tel: 41-1 252 31 19

Standard café food, good people watching at their outdoor tables.

12. Café Walthi
Schoffegasse 3
Zurich
Tel: 41-1 262-0906

Great crepes. Extremely casual, not expensive, lots of university students.

13. WINGS Airline Bar
Limmatquai 54
Zürich
Tel: 41-43 268 40 55

Casual bar and restaurant. Very good wrap sandwiches. Run by former employees of Swiss Air.

14. Molino
Limmatquai 16
Zürich
Tel: 41-1 252 43 72

Good basic pizzas and Italian food. Nice location on the river looking onto the Fraumunster.

15. Café Terrasse
Limmatquai 3
Zurich
Tel: 41-1 251 1074

A bit more upscale with an interesting menu, a funky bar. Very nice outdoor terrace in spring and summer. The ambience may be slightly better than the food.

16 Odéon
Limmatquai 2
Zürich
Tel: 41-1 251 16 50

A Zurich institution, Lenin and James Joyce used to eat here. Pub food, including great soups. Clientele is heavily gay men, but you will not feel unwelcome or uncomfortable.

17. Vorderer Sternen
Restaurant Sterne Foifi
Theatrestrasse 22
(at Bellevue tram stop)
Zurich
Tel: 41-1-251-4949

Very good restaurant serving European and Swiss specialties. If you can get a window seat (upstairs or downstairs) you will get a good view of the tram station and lake. The serve pretty much all day. They also have a restaurant behind called Rosalys, which I have never eaten at.

18. Sternen Grill Bratwurst Stand
Freitgasse and Theatrstrasse
Next door to Vorderer Sternen

Next door to Vorderer Sternen is their famous bratwurst stand. Just look for the line. The kitchen and all tables are outdoors, you can also do takeaway. A glass of beer and a bratwurst and you are a Zuricher! Great people watching as well. Not expensive, bratwurst starts at about $5. FYI, most bratwurst in Switzerland is veal, not pork. It is really delicious.

19. Tibits
Seefeldstrasse 2
Zürich ZH
Tel: 41-1 260 32 22

Casual, good food. Picnic tables outside. This is just past the Opera House on the right.

20. Petermann's Kunststube
Seestrasse 160
Kusnacht
tel 41-1 910-0715

This is a Michelin 1-star. Very expensive but excellent. It is in Patricia Schultz's book 1,000 Places to see before you die. Location may be a drawback for you, you would need to take a train to Kuschnact (about 15 minutes) and then a cab (or a fair walk), so with only one night it may not be feasible, but I put it first because it is one of the best restaurants in Switzerland. You could take a ferry down, but they may not be running at the end of the evening, so you would have to train or cab back. Cabfare from Zurich would be about $60 one way. Train schedules can be found at rail.ch

21. Blaue Ente
Seefeldstrasse 223
Tiefenbrunnen
Tel: 41-1-388-6840
Set in an old mill on the shore of Lake Zurich. The house specialty is duck, the menu is European and Swiss specialties. A favorites among locals.
22. Blu
Seestrasse 457, 8038
Tel: 41-1-488 6565

Mediterranean cuisine, good wine list, nice spot along the lake. This is one of my favorite restaurants, on a nice evening ask for an outdoor table. Slight drawback for you is location, it is a bit out of downtown. You could take a tram or train to the Wolisfhofen train station, then about a 10 minute walk. You could also take a bus from Burkliplatz in Zurich (by the lake), would be the 3rd or 4th stop, ask your hotel. A cab from the old town areas of Zurich would cost about $30 one way. You could also theoretically walk here from downtown Zurich, probably about 40 minutes along the lake.

23. Zunfthaus zur Zimmerleuten
Limmatquai 40
Phone 41-1-252-0834
This restaurant is in one of the old "guild houses" along the river in the old town and has a marvelous old Swiss style decor. The menu combines Zurich specialties with innovations by the current chef.
24. Caduff's Wine Loft
Kanzleistrasse. 126, 8004
Tel: 41-1- 240 2255

An excellent restaurant with a huge wine list and cellar. In a residential and industrial neighborhood, could be a bit hard to locate, but worth it. You can have a different wine with each course.

25. Rive Gauche
Hotel Baur au Lac
Talstr. 1, 8001
Tel: 41-1-220 50 60

Lovely restaurant in a very upscale hotel. On a very clear day, you should be able to see the Alps from the windows.

25. Kronehall
Rämistrasse 4, 8001
Tel: 41-1-251 6669

This is probably Zurich's most famous restaurant, also one if its oldest. A favorite with locals, their bar is worth a look and a drink. Classic Swiss-German food.

26. Cantinetta Antinori
Augustinergasse 25, 8001
Tel: 41-1- 211 7210

Excellent Italian food in a great location on the left bank of the old town not far from the Banhofstrasse. A bit less expensive and casual than the other places above. This is run by the Antinori winery in Tuscany, so they have an excellent wine list. They have some outdoor tables which are nice on a warm evening.

27. Seerose
Seestrasse. 493, 8038
Tel: 41-1- 481 6383

Has a huge deck on the lake, this would be the most casual and least expensive of all the restaurants. As with Café Terrasse, IMO, the location and views outperform the food. Location may be a drawback for you, it is not far from the Blu Restaurant. You could take a tram or train to Wolishofen, then walk. You could also theoretically walk here from downtown Zurich, probably about 30 minutes along the lake.

28. Hiltl
Sihlstrasste 28
8001 Zurich
tel: 41-1-227-7000

Vegetarian. They have a huge buffet at lunch, including curry vegetarian. Great food and value for money. A Zurich institution.

Cicerone Apr 11th, 2005 03:09 AM

Sadly, the Dolder is closed for renovations for the rest of this year. They have a old 3 star which they are still operating, but I would not stay there. It is also a bit inconvenient for seeing Zurich, as it is quite a bit out of town.

taxatty Apr 13th, 2005 06:59 PM

We got the Zurich Marriott a couple of years ago on Priceline for $100--if a price close to that is still available, it's the best deal in town. The hotel is nice and a short walk north along the river from the train station.

travel_chef1 Apr 18th, 2005 05:50 PM

Thanks for all of the GREAT suggestions, especially cicerone! Much, much appreciated.
Another question-- is Zurich a late-night city in terms of dining, bars, etc.? Thanks!--travel_chef1

fdestefano May 16th, 2005 08:47 AM

For a business trip in early September, can someone recommend a hotel close to the University Hospital, Zurich? Or should I just select a 3-4* hotel and take a cab?

Cicerone May 19th, 2005 02:49 AM

The University is spread out over the hill above the left bank of the river. The main hospital building is on Ramistrasse, but I believe some parts are further away, like the Children’s hospital. If you can give me the address of the particular part of the hospital you want, I may be able to make better suggestions.

I don’t think there are many hotels in the University area. However, the city is very small, and you could easily use public transport and could even walk from some areas (albeit uphill to get there, but downhill to get back). The main hospital building is on the #5 and I think #6 tram lines, and would not be more than 10-15 minutes by tram from most areas of the city.

Let me know what hotels you are considering, or run a search for hotels here, and I could give you ideas as to which might be more convenient in terms of using the tram. Cabs are quite expensive here (even I don’t take them and I take taxis virtually everywhere else in the world). A rough cost figure would be about US$15-20 per trip, which would take 10 -15 minutes from most parts of the city. The trams are easy to figure out, relatively cheap and very efficient.

The Florhof Hotel, which I have only seen from the outside but which gets good reviews here, is the closest that I can think of. Depending on which part of the hospital you are going to, you could probably walk from the hotel, it is also close to two tram lines. Take a look at http://www.florhof.ch/ They are part of the Romantik chain, and I think their hotels are generally very good and charming.

Travel_chef1, Zurich is not as “all-night” as some places like London or New York, bars close generally around 2 am, some are open until 4 am. In the summer months, people are out quite late and you can usually be served dinner up until around 11 pm, many bars will serve snacks until later hours. There are lots of outdoor restaurants which are very pleasant on a summer evening, as it is light until almost 10 pm for most of May and June and even into July.

Cicerone May 19th, 2005 02:51 AM

Sorry, there are some mistakes in my post. The main hospital building is on Ramistrasse, which is on the #5 and I think #6 trams.

The University is in the right bank of the river, not the left.