Favorite Restaurant in Salzburg

Oct 25th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Steve

Favorite Restaurant in Salzburg

I visit Salzburg occasionally and am curious where you've had your best meal.

For me, it's AMICI, which is a short taxi ride or a 15 minute walk west of the Aldstadt. A quaint Italian restaurant with a great staff and even greater food.

I will never forget the anti-pasta platter and espresso there...some of the best I've ever had in Europe!

Oct 25th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Mickey

McDonald's, of course

Oct 25th, 2002, 06:54 AM
zootsi

We were only in Salzburg two nights, but we loved the 'Faithful Ape' (I can't remember it's German name). This is a very lively place where locals and backpackers congregate at large tables, and the beer, sausage, sauerkraut, and dumplings, flow late into the night. It's just across the bridge from the old city, a 10 minute walk.

Oct 25th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Bob Brown

ZUM FIDELEN AFFEN is the name of the establishment. Usually I see this rendered in English as At the Faithful Ape, singular.

I do not know why it is not converted as At the Happy Monkeys or At the Happy Apes, for the following reasons.

In German der Affe also means monkey as well as ape; die Affen is the plural form.
"Zum" is zu dem, with dem being the dative plural form of the article the, as required by the preposition zu, which is almost always followed by the dative case.
(Which we don't have in English as a separate entity.)

The word "fidel" as an adjective means jolly or happy; the suffix en is the date plural ending.

So I don't know why the translation would not be "At The Happy Monkeys" or the "At the Happy Apes."

Perhaps a native German speaker can shed additional light on the subject.

At any rate the simian figure on the sign looks more like a chimpanzee to me.

Oct 25th, 2002, 07:41 AM
kim

We loved the Sacher Hotel. We ate outside next to the river and had a view of the city and the fortress. The food was unbelievable. It was a little expensive but I really felt it was worth it.

Oct 25th, 2002, 08:45 AM
topping

toppers

Oct 25th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Michelle

The Hotel Goldener Hirsch has excellent traditional Austian cuisine. We stayed at hotel for (2) nights and enjoyed two great meals (and deserts). Small intimate room with great service.

Usually a hotel restaurant is the last place we choose for dinner, but it was so good we went back again.

Oct 25th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Bob

Okay food, but fun for a drink is a little small bar near Mozarts Gebertshaus. As you face Mozarts yellow facade house on the street, turn around and you will see a tiny building. Go inside and have a drink. Fun bartenders and fun place. They have okay food upstairs.

Oct 25th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Bert

The best place to eat in Salzburg, and in all Austria, is the Bosna stand in the Gasse just past Mozart's Geburtshaus. It's the best sausage this brat lover ever tasted.

Oct 25th, 2002, 06:28 PM
John

Skiftskeller St. Peter gets my vote, with Cafe Glockenspiel a close second

Oct 25th, 2002, 06:41 PM
BillJ

For breakfast, the Cafe Tomaselli on the Alter Markt. Fantastic baked omelett, on the terrace, watching people and the sun come up.

Oct 25th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Julie

We went to St. Peter's Stifftskeller, which was nice, but Zipfer Bierhaus was wonderful. Great food!!!! Great drink and a great whatever!

Oct 25th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Julie

Went to Zipfer Bierhaus and it was great.. Great food and great drink Would highly recommend it !

Oct 25th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Jewels

lvalkhrfaw;ohf

Oct 25th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Jewels

We loved the Zipfer Bierhaus as a great restaurant and release to the great world

Oct 25th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Julie

We have visited Salzburg and stayed in the Sacher. It was one of the greatest hotels we stayed in

Oct 29th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Jochen

This is for Bob Brown:

Since you asked, I'd like to comment on the translation of "Zum fidelen Affen". I agree that the translation of "fidel" should be "happy" or, even better, "jolly". There may be a confusion with the Spanish name "Fidel" ( e.g., Fidel Castro ) which means indeed "faithful". One slight correction: "Zum fidelen Affen" IS singular. Plural would be "Zu den fidelen Affen". I know these different endings can be a nightmare. I have the same kind of problems in French. English is easier in this respect, although it is difficult enough. This is perhaps one of the reasons why English is so popular as an international language.

Regards, Jochen

Search this Thread