Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Favorite Places you visited in Turkey, Fondest Memories, Purchases You have Made & things you would recommend if you have traveled to Turkey. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favorite-places-you-visited-in-turkey-fondest-memories-purchases-you-have-made-and-things-you-would-recommend-if-you-have-traveled-to-turkey-258279/)

Jean Sep 16th, 2002 06:58 AM

Favorite Places you visited in Turkey, Fondest Memories, Purchases You have Made & things you would recommend if you have traveled to Turkey.

Message: Message: I would love to hear from any of you who have traveled to Turkey about any of the things I mentioned. We are planning a trip there approximately mid-April for 2 weeks, and are trying to map out our itinerary and our priorities.<BR><BR>Thanks so very much,<BR>Jean<BR> <BR>

abc Sep 16th, 2002 11:49 AM

Here are the places YOU MUST GO:<BR>Istanbul: (St.Sofia Church, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Cistern, Chora Church, Topkapi Palace, Archaeology Museum, Grand Bazaar, Spice Market, Bosphorous trip<BR>Canakkale: Gelibolu, Troia, Assos<BR><BR>PERGAMUM<BR><BR>Selcuk :EPHESUS, St. Jean Church, Virgin Mary's House, Prienne, Miletus, Didyma<BR><BR>Denizli: Pamukkale (cotton castle), Aprodisias<BR><BR>Antalya: Perge, Aspendos, Side,<BR><BR>Konya: Whirling Derwishes Museum,(Mevlana Museum) Catalhoyuk,<BR><BR>CAPPADOCIA<BR><BR>Corum: Hattusha, Yazilikaya, Alacahoyuk<BR><BR>Ankara: Anatolian Civilisation Museum, Ataturk Mousaleum, Gordion<BR><BR>Bursa: Silk bazaar and Ottoman sultans graveyards<BR><BR>Have A nice trip<BR><BR>ABC

Kay Sep 17th, 2002 01:07 PM

I just returned from two and a half weeks in Turkey and it was wonderful! We did a private yacht charter, then went to Bodrum, Ephessus, Cappdocia and Istanbul so I can give you info on any of those places. I bought carpets in Cappadocia and know that I got good values. I bought some gorgeous pottery in Avanos and some jewelry in Istanbul. The quality on these products was very high and the prices about a third of what I would pay in the U.S. I can recommend an excellent tour guide and hotel in Cappadocia if you're interested. Please give yourself a minimum of three nights in Cappadocia so you have at least two full days to explore - it's so beautiful and fascinating!

nancy Sep 17th, 2002 05:09 PM

Turkey is definitely one of the most interesting countries in the world. If I could only go to one place besides Istanbul it would be the Cappadoccia region - the fairy chimneys, underground cities, just the general landscape is like nothing I've seen before.<BR><BR>There are so many small, inexpensive items you can buy for gifts or yourself, particularly in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.

cb Sep 21st, 2002 07:45 AM

If you like jewelry, Turkey's gold price is very good; 18K and 22K are common. Silver jewelry are also plentiful.

jane Sep 21st, 2002 09:00 AM

In 1994 we (2 couples) toured Turkey. Club Voyages (NJ) set it up. We loved our trip. We were particularly pleased with Bodrum. Also loved our private yacht cruise out of Marmaris. Sailboat with owners. A week of sailing, snorkeling, stopping to explore sites. Dinner every night at some out of the way very good restaurant. Our guide for Cappadocia was not as wonderful as others provided so we were a little disappointed there. It was our almost best trip ever! Galapagos was best! Maybe next year's France trip will top all.

topper Sep 22nd, 2002 04:34 AM

topping

nellie Sep 28th, 2002 01:30 AM

The hammam experience. I dont mean the spa at the hotel I mean the real hammam. Also it would depend on where are you staying. In Istanbul there are several so check with the guide books on which one is the closest to your hotel.

Neil Canavan Oct 4th, 2002 07:15 AM

Just got back.<BR>Cappadocia is a must.<BR>Bursa also very nice - and far fewer tourists.<BR>The ultimate experience is the hammam, followed by and apple tea and waterpipe in a nearby garden.

Susan Oct 4th, 2002 08:34 AM

Jean, we were there for just a week in September 2000 - we crossed over from Rhodes and went south to Kalkan. I loved that area and can't wait to go back to Turkey to more.<BR><BR>I agree with the hammam recommendation. It was incredibly relaxing! My husband also went to a Turkish barber and had a shave and haircut (actually they shaved his head as well - he has very little hair!). He loved the experience and would definitely do it again. <BR><BR>As for purchases, we did buy a small (very small) silk carpet, which we love. Also bought a beautiful plate. I remember the apple tea was very nice (although we didn't bring any back). We brought back some turkish delight for relatives and that was much better than any I've had at home. <BR><BR>I'm sure you'll have a fantastic trip.

topper Oct 5th, 2002 08:34 AM

ttt

interested Dec 5th, 2002 07:08 AM

topping

Jen Dec 17th, 2002 09:26 AM

I bought great colorful handknit gloves in Cappadocia from a family that ran a shop out of their former cave dwelling home. They were about $3 each and all my friends love them. They are so unique and each day I wear them I remember my trip. I also bought a small gorgeous carpet that I love.

Liri Dec 23rd, 2002 05:15 AM

We were in Turkey for 2 weeks in August '02 and had a wonderful time. So much so, that I cant imagine not going back several times! We stayed one week in the Sultanahmet section of Istanbul. Stayed in a nice hotel (Hotel Ambassador) that had a lovely roof top view of the city that we enjoyed every morning and then again each evening before retiring for the night. We walked just about everywhere in the vacinity, visiting the mosques, museums, bazaars, palaces,etc. The people are friendly and the city itself it neat and clean. I can not begin to describe just how much fun it was. We also stayed in Kusadasi and Fethiye and enjoyed that as well. While in Fethiye we stayed in a seaside hotel and enjoyed spending our days on the beach. One day we took an islamd hopping cruise and that was the most fun. The ship was nice and the crew was even nicer. We would dock at an island and swim for a bit, and them move on to the next....<BR><BR>All and all, Turkey is a lovely place, we brought back many memories, pictures, video, souviners, I can imagine anyone not having a spectacular time there!

Dee Dec 30th, 2002 02:35 PM

Jean, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time as many of posters have experienced. I do alot of traveling and Turkey is by far the first place I want to return.<BR><BR>You must experience the Grand Bazaar, but realize you will find much better deals elsewhere. I did purchase a few things at the Bazaar (small trinkets). Turkey has the best leather in the world. The majority of the leather shops will custom make whatever you like. I went to the Grand Horse in Instanbul and purchased two coats. You'll be able to find every color imaginable. I saw a jacket with a collar I liked, then another with a particular sleeve, and another with length. I combined those qualities and my coat was ready in 3 days. You will find better deals outside of Istanbul.<BR><BR>Do realize, if you go on any tour, 9 times out of 10, the tour guide will stop at a local leather, ceramic, or carpet shop. Some tourists felt like they were pressured to purchase products.<BR><BR>My cities I traveled were:<BR>Istanbul<BR>Pamukkale<BR>Kusadasi<BR>Ephe sus<BR>Cappadocia<BR>back to Istanbul<BR><BR>I do not recommend Pamukkale. There was NOTHING to do. Yes, there is the &quot;cotton castel&quot; which was amazing and a beautiful spot overlooks the city. However, besides that 15 minute excursion, there wasn't anything else in the city (IMO).<BR><BR>Cappadocia - amazing!! The place to stay is the ESBELLI EVI.http://www.esbelli.com/<BR>Words cannot describe the experience at this cave dwelling. The owners and workers at the Esbelli are some of the most loving people in the world. You will enjoy a homelike encounter. They have a washing machine!! For a reservation, you must book early. They are constantly sold out. If you're able to adjust your schedule, this is well worth the effort. If you do find out they are booked, keep checking to see if there are cancellations.

abc Dec 30th, 2002 03:07 PM

Dear Dee ([email protected])<BR><BR>YOU DON'T RECOMMEND PAMUKKALE? WHY<BR><BR>ABC

Leslie Dec 30th, 2002 05:00 PM

You must buy rugs! I bought a large one for a dining room and love it. We were there 12 years ago and I would love to go back (more rugs, more history) but I have felt that there would be excesive danger to Americans in a mostly Moslem country. I'm not timid - flew to Europe 10 days after Sept. 11th - But....

Anna Dec 31st, 2002 01:47 PM

I love the carpet my husband and I bought in Turkey. I also like the Byzantine style ring I got at the Grand Bazaar. We bought a beautiful plate at a pottery shop in Cappadocia too.<BR><BR>We went on a Rick Steve's tour. Ephesus is a must, as is Cappadocia, and Istanbul. Have a great trip, I wouldn't be afraid to travel in Western Turkey, but I would avoid Eastern Turkey.<BR>

Ginger Jan 1st, 2003 03:18 PM

Just returned from my first trip to Istanbul. Hope to be able to return again soon. The most wonderful city...friendly people who love Americans. Never felt safer anywhere. Booked our tours through Insight Travel who also helped with our hotel reservations. Sollyman, the owner/tour guide met us at the airport, his English is wonderful, was very helpful in getting us settled...and the tours he arranged for us were great....we saw mosques, museums, churches, the Grande Bazaar, the Egyptian spice market,the Arasta Bazaar, and we also took a boat trip up the Bosphorous. His knowledge of the city and of Turkish history was amazing.<BR>Really can't wait to return. And we will likely plan a trip in the spring when the weather is warmer. <BR>

Tracey Jan 1st, 2003 05:58 PM

Can't remember all the places I went to, bit my friend and I had a great time back packing for 6 weeks all around Turkey. The turkish baths are the most relaxing experice you will ever have.<BR>shopping is great if you can cope with the pushy stall owners at the markets.<BR>Any place you go will be a great experience. The people are eager to help.