Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Favorite Parks? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favorite-parks-817126/)

Palenque Dec 9th, 2009 09:22 AM

Favorite Parks?

European parks IME are often a top tourist sight in themselves - here are some of my favorites - what are yours?

Paris - Luxembourg Gardens - a great place for a picnique and or people watching - a respite for Parisians - and of course the Tuileries.

London - all London parks i love, especially Hyde Park (and the Serpentine), Regents Park and St James Park - love those outdoor-indoor tea shops/cafeterias

Amsterdam - Vondel Park is so so neat - especially on weekends in fine weather when all sorts of folks - yup ALL sorts of people pop out

Munich - the Englischer Gardens - again in fine weather and, like in many German parks it seems, a veritable nudist colony - folks or all shapes and sizes and ages lying stark naked even right by the main walking paths - not for the bashful - and the Chinese Pagoda in the middle of the park - the quintessential Germany Beer Garden and all the usual beer garden foods.

Vienna - the Prater with the Big Wheel

Barcelona - Parc Guell (sp?) - full of Gaudi edifices and even Gaudi park benches

What parks are your favorites?

tower Dec 9th, 2009 11:02 AM

Good thread idea here pal:

A vote for Parc Guell....even though it's a bit "gaudy-Gaudi". His home in the parc is open for visits. I'm sure most Fodorites know that he was killed by a streetcar (in the 20's).

Hyde Park, no matter how many times you walk through, is a tranquil, well-kept place to escape the hustle and bustle of surrounding London...and Harrod's is across the way. With the dollar where it is you might even be able to buy a bread sandwich therein...two pieces of bread and another piece in the middle...delicious!

Villa Taranto Gardens, in the Italian lake district, across the street from Lake Maggiore's boat stop...when in bloom, a veritable riot of color. Villa Carlotta, Lake Como, is smaller, but also offers a very colorful villa and gardens.
The ferry to Bellagio is just down the road (with a parking lot if you're driving, where you can leave the car, sail across to Bellagio, and then return)

Vigeland Sculpture Park, part of Frogner Park in Oslo, if nothing else, is enjoyable, but "different"...quite "different"...Gustav Vigeland's statues are unlike any to be seen anywhere else I've been.

Phoenix Park in Dublin is a hoot when there's something going on...market, flea and otherwise, concert, dance, etc.

Herastrau Park (and village museum) in the northernmost reaches of Buchares(h)t located in a beautiful lakeside setting. The outdoor museum has replica architecture from all over the country....and in the center of the city, the C(h)ismagu Gardens offer a place to stroll, with restaurants and lush grounds. Give Buchares(h)t a chane...there are more redeeming features than most travelers are led to believe.

There are so many more around the world, and epecially throughout the USA and Canada.

stu

tower Dec 9th, 2009 11:11 AM

That should be " give Bucharesht a <u>chance</u>"...and
C(h)ismigiu...typos...and probably more..blame these old eyes.

quokka Dec 9th, 2009 12:17 PM

Two late 18th century gems in Germany:
The gardens of Schwetzingen Palace near Heidelberg/Mannheim
Wörlitz Park

kleeblatt Dec 9th, 2009 12:26 PM

Europapark: A highly recommended amusement park in the South of Germany

pauljagman Dec 9th, 2009 01:14 PM

I like the English Gardens in Munich. We did a Mike's bike tour and that was the highlight. Getting off our bikes, stripping down to our underwear and jumping in the river was pretty cool. Yeah, I really did.

Europapark is ok too.

hetismij Dec 9th, 2009 01:18 PM

Windsor great Park.
The garden of Paleis het Loo, Apeldoorn.
www.paleishetloo.nl
A couple of Dutch National parks - I know they aren't what you meant Pal, but Hoge Veluwe and the Weerribben are wonderful.
www.hogeveluwe.nl
www.np-weerribbenwieden.nl

And, for something a bit different, the Landschaftspark in Duisburg-Nord, Germany.
http://www.landschaftspark.de/en/home/index.php