Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Favorite Parisian neighborhood?.... and why...

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 10:03 PM
Adit

Hello all, <BR> Can you all seasoned travelers share your favorite Paris neighborhood and why... <BR> Perhaps a little story too?... <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Adit

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 04:40 AM
Sanne

Hmmm it's difficult to choose one arrondisement for another in Paris, but having lived there for several years I must admit that my favourite areas are 4, 7 and 10th arrondisement. <BR>Why? <BR>4th arr. because I love the Marais allthough there today is a lot of tourists and it's quit expensive but it IS very charming and have some nice cafées and small cosy shops. <BR>7th because my favourite museum and especially favourite garden are here. The Rodin Museum is a beautiful old mansion situated in the most beautiful garden with a lot of sculptures made by Rodin. In spring/summer one can sit here on a bench for hours, with a coffee or ? enjoying the beauty. Inside the museum there's so much beauty too and everything is so calm, you wouldn't believe being in a big town. <BR>10th arr. because here lives the parisiens and here most live is taking place around Canal St. Martin. Take a walk or take one of the boats out to Parc La Villette. In 10th arr.you can find some real local cheap restaurants, situated in humble environments and try eating mussles with potatochips and mustard. Sounds bizar? Well.......it's good. <BR> <BR>Sanne

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 01:53 PM
rf

My vote goes to the Marais (4th). What a charming area! You have the gay community AND the Jewish community living side by side and it exudes energy. The shopping is wonderful and the Caron de Beaumarchais hotel was lovely! A must see.

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 08:26 AM
Jen

Hands down the 6th! Great eats (Pricey and moderate), galleries, shops all outside your door. Great wine bars for a pre-dinner drink, and close to everything! <BR> <BR>We stay on Rue de Buci, right near the Buci daily market, and on the corner of St. Germain. It's just me and my husband so the neighborhood is good for us. Last time we went, we gallery hopped and ate and drank. Our first time there, we could easily walk to all the sites from our location. <BR> <BR>If you would like more info, feel free to e-mail me directly.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 05:28 AM
sheri

Got to give my vote to the 4th (Marais). It is just such a vibrant mix of old, narrow streets, gorgeous mansions (hotels particuliers), cool shops, bars and restaurants--I've stayed in other neighborhoods but always come back to the 4th.

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 09:02 PM
Betsy

I love to stay in the 7th. The neighborhood is quiet yet so close to everything and then there is the Eiffel Tower. At night the Marais yes, but I also like the 1st, particularly the Rue Moufftard and the Place de Contrescarpe. What a vibrant neighborhood!The top of Montmarte is to me,the Paris of stories . When it's crowded with tourists, (which it usually is), it feels like Disneyland, but without them, its magical.I'll be back in July and thanks to the above suggestion will be visiting the 10th.

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 09:21 PM
Donna

Well, we just love the 7th, but it all depends upon what you have in mind, as all have their plusses and minuses.