Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Favorite meal in Ireland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favorite-meal-in-ireland-753880/)

wrenwood Dec 18th, 2007 11:24 AM

Favorite meal in Ireland?

What and where was your favorite meal in Ireland?

We'll be headed there in September 08, and I'm still very open on the itinerary, so please tell me about some wonderful places!

Wrenwood

tower Dec 18th, 2007 11:50 AM

Wrenwood:

First of all, ye'll love Ireland no matter you'll visit.

On our most recent visit, we stayed at, and ate at Doyle's in Dingle...though the food presentation and quality was excellent.

Also, for lunch, try "Destry's (Rides Again) in Clifden...cute little place with innovative dishes.

Stu T.

Seamus Dec 18th, 2007 12:02 PM

Ballymaloe House, hands down.

Viajero2 Dec 18th, 2007 02:09 PM

This is a restaurant you do NOT want to miss if ever in Kenmare:

http://www.odonnabhains.com/

I can vouch for their Roasted Chicken & Potatoes, their Beef and Guinness Irish Stew, and their Potato cakes with herb and smoked salmon. We LOVED this place!

wondering Dec 18th, 2007 03:48 PM

Seafood in Kinsale

MonicaRichards Dec 18th, 2007 06:04 PM

I most remember Pasta Pasta in Dublin.

writerchicknyc Dec 18th, 2007 07:00 PM

We couldn't get enough curry chicken and chips.

Seamus Dec 18th, 2007 07:50 PM

Just remembered another place where we had a memorable meal - The Mustard Seed at Echo Lodge in County Limerick near Adare. We also lodged there a couple nights and loved it. www.mustardseed.ie

carolsc Dec 19th, 2007 07:21 AM

The Lime Tree in Kenmare. Don't remember what we had (it was 2005) but remember it being very good.

carolsc

tower Dec 19th, 2007 03:50 PM

wrenwood:

If you're going to be anywhere near Galway, a wonderful fried oyster lunch awaits you at famous Moran's...in Kilcolgan, a little bayside town a few kms. south of Galway. Probably good for dinner ,too.

Stu T.

nytraveler Dec 19th, 2007 05:02 PM

Salmon - almost anywhere.

Either as a main course - or as lunch, smoked on brown bread with salad.

Also - Dublin Bay prawns.

Songdoc Dec 19th, 2007 05:03 PM

The breakfasts at Ashford Castle and Dromoland Castle. OMG. AMAZING!!!

dancoyle1 Dec 19th, 2007 05:08 PM

I second the vote for the Mustard Seed. Definitely the best!

Clifton Dec 19th, 2007 06:13 PM

Seafood (scallops for me) at Jacob's Ladder in Cobh. Added bonus, watching the sailboats race in the harbor as we ate.

SiobhanP Dec 20th, 2007 12:33 AM

It depends on your price range. Seafood especially salmon is good here, everyone should try fish and chips at least once. My favouritte places are not necessairily "Irish" food here in Dublin. There are some great Indian Restaurants around as well. We ate at a nice one a few weeks back in Ennis above a shop near the market sq must look up and post. What area will you be in to narrow down?

HappyTravelling Dec 20th, 2007 01:29 AM

L'Gueleton on Fade Street in Dublin if you're there. It's rustic French food done very well and a great atmosphere. You can't book but they take your name and will call once a table is free. Usually no wait at lunch.

Beshoffs fish and chips while walking up the pier if you're in Howth is wonderful...and bracing.

halcyon Dec 20th, 2007 01:41 AM

If you are in the Galway city area, don't miss the White Gables in Moycullen..
www.whitegables.com/ourrestaurant.html .......
We have eaten there several times over the years! It is always very special!

cailin Dec 20th, 2007 05:37 AM

That's a coincidence - I just had lunch at L'gueuleton! One of my favourite restaurants in the city. There was a queue at lunchtime today and we actually got the last table for 2 - however it is Christmas week so all restaurants in the city are packed. Food is FAB! My other favourite place is Chapter One on Parnell Square.

AtlTravelr Dec 20th, 2007 05:46 AM

Best meal was lunch at Fishy Fishy in Kinsale - they do not take reservations and at the time (2 years ago) were only open for lunch. It was great. Another great meal was had at Out of the Blue in Dingle. We loved it but some may find their "attitude" slightly offensive - i.e. from the website:

"Meat eaters need not apply: Out Of The Blue is strictly for seafood lovers! Everything depends upon the catch of the day and nothing but the best will do. If there’s no fish, the restaurant doesn’t open." You may get a lecture on local fishing rights, etc. It was worth it to us!

hester Dec 21st, 2007 05:04 PM

My best meal was also at Fishy Fishy in Kinsale. I had a Lobster salad that was to die for.