Favorite jazz/music club in Paris

Feb 11th, 2002, 06:32 PM
clady

Favorite jazz/music club in Paris

Would like to hear about your fave jazz (and other music) clubs. Prefer the 1st, 4th, 5th, or 6th so I can walk back to the hotel. How is Duc des Lombards? Le Petit Opportun? Caveau de la Huchette?

Feb 11th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Kate

Clady, My husband & I visited Le Petit Opportun in October of 1999. We went there based upon a recommendation of the cab driver who picked us up from our restaurant. We REALLY enjoyed it...however, I will say, that I first felt that Le Petit Opportun stood for "a little opportunity to see." The music is down in the basement which is divided into two rooms with a small "room / closet" in between where the walls have been been knocked out. If you are taken down to the back room, you can hear the music just fine...and you may be able to see the musicians, but you are definitely separated. We were put down there initially & then moved our way up to the middle "closet". The music was really great! The club was very SMOKY! I would recommend it...but go early to get a good seat. We arrived, probably, between 11:00 and 11:30.

Kate

Feb 12th, 2002, 12:12 AM
clady

any more suggestions?? please??

Feb 12th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Christina

If you want names of clubs, you can find them on www.jazzvalley.com and in the entertainment guide www.pariscope.fr I think Timeout guide does a pretty good descriptions of places so you can get an idea, see www.timeout.com
I've been to Caveau de la Huchette and it was an interesting experience and I enjoyed meeting some French guys (I was sans male travel companion), but that venue often has jazz that people dance to (or try to, a lot of them can't dance very well, but they have fun), not sure what you'd call it, it's not exactly Dixieland. In any case, it wasn't a great musical experience or that good listening jazz, I think there are other places much better for that. It did get very crowded and we could not find a seat. Anyway, it's not where I would go if you want a nice evening having drinks at a table and listening to good jazz. There are tons of clubs with all different kinds of music in Paris, some URLs are www.zingueurs.com and www.danse-a-2.com and www.novaplanet.com, www.sortir.fr, there are plenty. Latin music/clubs have become popular in last couple years and there are several of them around the Latin Qtr, I forget their names right now, there are a couple on rue Monsieur le Prince, as I recall.

Feb 12th, 2002, 12:01 PM
clady

Christina, thank you very much for your suggestions. I'd wondered about Caveau de la Huchette; thanks for carifying for me. Incidentally, Timeout has it listed in thier Paris book.

Also, I'd really like to get specific recommendations, rather than a list of names of clubs. What were your favorite places & had good just sit & listen to kind of jazz?

Feb 12th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Sue

We liked the Petit Journal St. Michel (near Luxembourg Metro stop), but it was pretty much like Kate described Le Petit Opportun; however, we especially wanted to see Claude Bolling, who is there the last Tuesday of every month. We sat in booths before the intermission where I don't think the band was visible and were moved to the center after.

Feb 13th, 2002, 05:08 AM
wendy

There are two that I like in the 6th, one is on the rue de Buci, a cellar jazz club called 'L'arbuci' the same name as the restaurant and the Bilboquet, behind the Cafe Deux Magots... L'arbuci's 'style' is jumping and 'happening' and bilboquet is refined Sinatra and 'route 66' kind of nostalgia... I've always enjoyed going to the caveau to watch people half my age jitterbug like pros!

Feb 13th, 2002, 02:27 PM
mike

I am also enjoying this thread. Any other personal choices out there?

Feb 13th, 2002, 02:28 PM
mike

OOOps, hit reply too soon. We are also looking for jazz venue recommendations, as well as any African music clubs.

Feb 13th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Wendy

I recently went to Bibliquet and loved it! great music and ambiance. Very friendly staff.

Feb 13th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Jennifer

One thing I've found out is that different nights at the same club can be very different. You may love one evening's entertainment yet be indifferent to another act, atmosphere, and audience.

My suggestion is to read Pariscope to see what kind of jazz is playing on the night that you wish to attend.

Jennifer

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:10 AM
topper

Topping for Anthony (jazz clubs).

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:36 AM
bill

We particulary like Lionel Hampton's. It is less smoky and with better viewing than most of the other clubs.