Favorite Italian supermarket finds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always love to go to the supermarket whenever I go back to Italy. When we go back to Italy, I love to go to the COOP supermarket to pick up some things. These are the things I like to bring home. Bottles of Aperol since we can't get it here, the nubby white floor rags used to clean terra cotta floors, the yellow soft clothes to polish furniture, Knorr Porcini flavor boullion cubes, Knorr garlic and parsley boullion cubes, Kinder cereali candy bars, DAY Gum in the boxes, Nivea jars of body cream, Cielo Alto hairspray, Neutro Roberts shower gel and bath soaps - every scent, powderd vanilla, gelatin sheets for desserts, small bottle or Perlana in the pink bottle for fine washables - I LOVE the scent of it. Do you have any favorite supermarket things???
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Calamari - welcome home! I love to go to the supermarkets in Italy too. Actually anywhere I am it's one of my weird things that I do and can spend alot of time browsing.

My last time trip I brought home for myself and gifts 10 packages of Vileda brand sponges. There are 4 mabye 6 x 8 thin square sponges for dishes counters whatever I love these things - simple pleasures.

Also Marvis toothpaste - I like the blue one (peppermint) but it's very hard to find now.

Again welcome home!
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 10:56 AM

I LOVE Aperol and kicked myself for only brining home one bottle. I can't wait to stock up now!
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 03:29 PM

I go to supermarkets in whichever country I'm traveling in... addicted to them, in fact.

In Italy it's always Star porcini bouillon cubes (they beat Knorr for flavor), Rio Mare tuna in olive oil - the best for making vitello tonnato, and strings of red peppers (since I live in France no problems bringing them home).

Patricai
Patricia
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 03:29 PM

I go to supermarkets in whichever country I'm traveling in... addicted to them, in fact.

In Italy it's always Star porcini bouillon cubes (they beat Knorr for flavor), Rio Mare tuna in olive oil - the best for making vitello tonnato, and strings of red peppers (since I live in France no problems bringing them home).

Patricia
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 04:17 PM

I also love shopping European supermarkets! When we went to Italy on a day trip from Monte Carlo everyone else spent their time shopping for leather purses and perfumes. I spent my time stocking up on olive oil, jars of tapenade, truffle sauces, etc. My husband spent his time buying CD's. Everyone else in our group thought we were so weird!

What is Aperol?

Last time we were in Rome we found some wonderful boxes of crunchy garlic bread sticks and some great dried pastas in markets in Umbria. My sister brought me a big bag of dried porcini mushrooms which I love. And of course, wine, which is much cheaper in grocery stores in France and Italy. Not to mention CHOCOLATE that we buy in every European supermarket (can't wait until our first trip to Switzerland this fall, they have COOP there too!).
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 06:12 PM

It's like Campari but not bitter, definitely sweeter.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 06:32 PM

Vinolover, when you're in Switzerland look for the liqueur-filled Lindt chocolate bars. Heavenly!
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 02:15 AM

I love souvenir shopping in supermarkets. I was recently in Phoenix and stocke up on all kinds of southwestern marinades, spices and hot sauces!!

In Italy - I found these amazing olives that were packaged in tin-foil like packages (kind of like you can get tunafish packaged now) They are amazing. I find myself rationing them out to myself! I wish I knew the brand, but I don't off hand.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 06:00 AM

I love any form of shopping so count me in on <i>supermercato</i> binges. Many of my favorites are already posted here on Travel Talk, as is my love affair with Dario, the meat king of Panzano.

Sprizz Aperole and Sgroppino are my favorite cocktail indulgences when in Venice. Sounds like Calamari and I could have some fun together.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 06:13 AM

Living in Kenosha, WI, (with a population that's 99% Italian descent, mostly Calabrese) I am fortunate to have a great Italian grocery store a mile from my house, Tenuta's. It has just about everything you can buy in Italy, but when I travel, I stock up on Kinder Bueno bars,olive oil, wine and Neutro Roberts shampoo.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 12:46 PM

ecat--Marvis is my favorite too. I like the green one. You can buy them at beautyhabit.com but sheesh they are $8 a tube over here. The last time I was in Italy I brought home 12 tubes. I'm sure the lady in the store was wondering......I'm about to run out. Time to go back.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 04:32 PM

Look in the soap section for Tesori d'Oriente in the zenzero fragrance. They usually have plastic bottles of it. It is the most delicious scent. Be sure to get the zenzero (ginger). You will never smell anything like it. I buy orvieto wine. Grocery stores are great places for inexpensive, but unique, souvenirs for friends and family.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 09:50 PM

I bought 4 different kinds of Italian coffee!!! I'm in love! And I'm thinking of buying an Italian espresso machine!
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 11:18 PM

Soozer-
Check out www.illy.com
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:44 AM

Hi Calamari,
In Montelchino I was in the Coop while &quot;the spenders&quot; were at the Entocea's buying very good wines and found Truffle Salsa. It was to die for and lasted about 1/2 hour on toasted bread. I also shopped the wines for dinner that night (our Villa was in Palazone,near Lago Trasemino). Bought several bottles of very good wine at reasonable prices which I'm sure is not merchandised for tourists. The Butcher loved me when I had him cut steaks for me 1 1/2 inch thick which is not the norm I suspect!The Suprecal in Chiusi has a fabulous Sausage and Cheese counter also. Carrafour is also fun in Provence! I still use my Pool slippers from there! I loved the Frozen Tiramiso for dessert....I better eat now.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:57 AM

My last stop before returning home is always a supermarket. Those porcini cubes are a great find. I also always buy packs of fazzoletti--tissues like those little Kleenex packs. They're significantly stronger than the packs available in the US. The Tempo brand is particularly good, though eve the store brand is better than those at home.

Also enjoyed some pasta sauces in cartons that don't need refrigeration: salmon cream and porcini cream. Last time I found hot chocolate mix, the &quot;densa&quot; version, which stirs up a pretty good approximation of that thick, wonderful Italian hot chocolate. Also, panna cotta mix.

Most of these items, I would never dream of making from a mix at home--usually I cook from scratch. But somehow, seeing that Italian packaging on my own shelf and struggling through the cooking instructions adds some vacation excitment to my day months later.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:59 AM

Topping because this is such fun. I'm not as cool as you all, but I bought a fat package of bright plastic straws on Lago Maggiore, and I'm still experiencing a rush of travel-lust each time I use one. Go figure. J.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

I also love the way they package cotton. Just like the &quot;cotton wool&quot; in the UK. You pull it like cotton candy and just used however much or little you need. It also feels softer than ours.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:34 AM

Are there any on-line sources for products such as the Neutro Roberts soaps and the Tesori d'Oriente scents? Thanks, J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -