Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Favorite Italian saying? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favorite-italian-saying-684018/)

sandi_travelnut Mar 1st, 2007 09:23 AM

Favorite Italian saying?

Tell me your favorite saying and its meaning. Maybe its funny or poignant. Is there a story behind why it means so much to you?

Ann1 Mar 1st, 2007 09:27 AM

Ciao Bella....Hi Beautiful.....Makes me feel good.

StCirq Mar 1st, 2007 09:31 AM

I'm rather partial to waving my fist and yelling "Porca Madonna!"

auldyins Mar 1st, 2007 09:35 AM

An old, plump porter greeted my wife as "La Bella Senora" every time we visited and made her blush profusely. Sadly he passed away and I am much too old to make her blush.

MissPrism Mar 1st, 2007 09:37 AM

Dolce far niente.
When I visit Italy, I spend time in cafes doing just that,

sandi_travelnut Mar 1st, 2007 09:38 AM

StCirq - will we get censored if I ask the meaning of that? It's not in my dictionary. I hate to assume...

sandi_travelnut Mar 1st, 2007 09:41 AM

Please translate your saying if possible...

kireland Mar 1st, 2007 09:43 AM

"Porco, porco, porco!"

I was waiting for my husband in our hotel lobby in Rome and was "reading" an Italian newspaper. There was a one page story about JFK/RFK/Monroe that was styled after a comic book. In one of the frames Marilyn slams the phone down on JFK while shouting "Porco, porco, porco!" and throws herself down on the bed! It was very dramatic and I like saying it now whenever I feel myself hard done by the oppostie sex.

ellenem Mar 1st, 2007 09:48 AM

"Porco madonna" means so much more than the literal translation. It is actually very rude.

Porco does refer to pig, but is also used to refer to sex in a nasty way.

An Italian once told me that all the best Italian curses combine sex and God.

sandi_travelnut Mar 1st, 2007 09:51 AM

ahhh, excellent. I can always use another curse word that doesn't offend most of the people that hear it cause they don't know what it means. Just feels good to get it out.

THERESA10 Mar 1st, 2007 09:52 AM

whynada! Said to Us by a waiter when we asked for More Bread.

shorenougha! My Husband's grandma from Sicily favorite saying.

StCirq Mar 1st, 2007 10:49 AM

Yes, it is indeed quite rude, but sandi, you can always just say "La luna!" if you have the urge to yell.

Aramis Mar 1st, 2007 01:25 PM

Fuggedaboudit

annhig Mar 1st, 2007 01:32 PM

Basta!

BTilke Mar 1st, 2007 01:37 PM

"I do not wear mass transit shoes!"

This was said by an irate Milan colleague after receiving a memo urging staff to take subways and buses instead of taxis when traveling on business. She yanked off her gorgeous high heels and thumped them on the exhibit stand for extra emphasis and then dramatically crumpled the memo and threw it into the trash.

As far as I know, everyone is still taking taxis.

kleeblatt Mar 1st, 2007 01:39 PM

Bello impossible

Brazilnut Mar 1st, 2007 01:40 PM

St Cirq,

Wouldn't it be "PorcA Madonna" instead? Madonna is feminine, so the qualifying adjective should also be in the feminine (a rule in romance languages...).

BTilke Mar 1st, 2007 01:46 PM

Brazilnut, StCirq DID say Porca Madonna.

worldinabag Mar 1st, 2007 02:10 PM

"Osso Bucco Milanese". Uttered in exasperation by Kevin Kline in....what was that movie...

nbujic Mar 1st, 2007 02:14 PM

The fish called Wanda ( I think)