Reload this Page >

Favorite Hotel & Room Advice: Bellagio, Venice, Florence and Positano

Notices

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There used to be a post on here about favorites in Italy -- can't seem to find it and am trying to plan my honeymoon for next June.

Anyone have any favorite hotels (and even more specific, hotel rooms) in these locations?

[also if you can include general price point that would be great]

thanks!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:05 PM

Give us a price range; eg, do you want over the top luxury, upscale, good value for the $$, charming and cozy,etc.?
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Intrepid

Bellagio is wonderfully beautiful even if it does seem a bit contrived and not "typical" of Italian towns and I'm sure you'll enjoy staying there. Folks have frequently mentioned the Belvedere (I believe that is right) for its rooms with views and the Villa Serbelloni (sp?) although some have complained that the latter's rooms may not really be worth the price. A search mentioning Bellagio and hotels might be enlightening.
Congratulations on your impending wedding!

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the well wishes. We are very excited!

price range: perhaps splurge a bit more in Bellagio and Positano -- so maybe the upscale for those.... and for Venice/Florence -- good value or charming/cozy...

does that help clarify? we can't do over the top on every hotel, but certainly are prepared to spulurge a bit for our honeymoon!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Hi
I'm not good at noting room numbers, sorry, but in Venice I'm happy to recommend these hotels:
Colombina--renovated just a few years ago, rooms moderately-sized, charming decor, 5 minutes to the Piazza, front of hotel faces a small canal

Flora--rooms vary in size so perhaps spend a bit more for a larger one, also 5 minutes to San Marco, quiet location, all essential services, drinks and breakfast are served in the small but pretty courtyard

Saturnia Internazionale--an older hotel, quite near the Flora, larger.
Excellent hot buffet breakfast included in the price.Public rooms and some of the guest rooms are quite grand, if dated. However, don't pay the rack rate, and see if you can get a front-facing room--there may be a noise issue, you'll have to inquire. Our rear-facing room was quite large, but quite dark, and lamps proved to be inadquate.
Saturnia will be more expensive than the other two, but you'll have a larger room.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Start your honeymoon like we did in Varenna, room 1 or 2 at Albergo Milano. Huge balcony, great little town, quick boat ride over to Bellagio. www.varenna.net
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Intrepid

I was just going to say that for some people, their "favorite hotel room in Bellagio" is the one they can see from their cheaper hotel room with a great view of the lake (think the Hotel du Lac) in Varenna! An alternative if Bellagio doesn't work out for you.

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 09:01 AM

In Florence, the Hotel Bellettini ANNEX has lovely rooms. The annex is around the corner from the main building, in which the rooms are not very special, as I understand it. Our room in the annex was furnished with antiques, had a lg marble bath, and the ceiling was covered with painted fabric that looked like frescoes. The owner described that they had restored these old fabrics. Not a luxury hotel, but the annex is good 3 star quality. And great location!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 10:37 AM

If you can afford Le Sirenuse in Positano, I would recommend it based on what I've seen of it and others rave recommendations here on the forum.

We stayed ( revisited this past July) at the 4-star Hotel Poseidon, which is just up the road from Sirenuse. We had an amazing jr. suite, I think it was #56, that had a huge terrace with a sweeping view of Positano. The hotel itself was heaven on Earth. It's a small place with an intimate feel, and offers excellent food and service. It also has a spa on the top floor and a tiny swimming pool. I can't recommend it enough. If you decide you're interested in booking at Poseidon, I'd look into it right away, as it's one of the most popular hotels in Positano.

Good luck, and congratulations!