Hidden or Secret Rome?

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:44 AM
vivaldi

Hidden or Secret Rome?

Have done most of the major attractions and looking for a change of pace. Need your recommedations on slightly off-the-beaten track places or activities - things that require a little searching, but are not too hard to find.

Interested in history, art, religion, old buildings, cooking, gardens and fountains.

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a search on Google, using the words 'hidden Rome' and found some interesting things:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...280130-1635800

http://www.travel.it/roma/touringrom...0HIDDEN%20ROME (there's a Hidden Rome tour on this website)

http://www.astheromansdo.com/hidden_treasures.htm

http://www.initaly.com/regions/museums/muselist.htm

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/partners/....asp?file=rome
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 06:28 AM
dln

vivaldi, you absolutely positively must hunt down this small volume and I will pester you until you do .

It is called City Secrets Rome, edited by Robert Kahn. Taken from the book's cover, these following words--"The world's foremost artists, writers, architects, archeologists and historians reveal their favorite discoveries in the ultimate insider's guide." As you can imagine, it is highly subjective and very entertaining! However, it is also very pracical as it contains maps, addresses and phone numbers. You want to see stuff off the beaten track? It will be in this little book. It's going to be in my suitcase next Thursday even if I have to leave my high heel shoes home to make room for it!

I am telling you about this as a thank you for the tip about that flower market in Prati.

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:34 PM
dumas1870

San Clemente - 12th Century Brasilica sits atop a 4th Century christian church which sits atop a 2nd Century Mithraic Temple. Several deep tunnels, an underground stream and burial place of St. Cyril. On via San Giovanni. Metro: Colosseo.

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:52 PM

I'm not sure how "hidden" it is, but have you been to the Crypt of the Capuchins, Via Veneto, 27? It's a church with several chambers decorated with the bones and skulls of dear departed monks. Here's a link:http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...804510981.html
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 02:41 PM

I've posted a couple of things that might interest you. One is the gameboards in the Roman Forum, do a "Text Search" on Gameboards.
The other is an "Ides of March" Julius Caesar Walk. Do a "Text Search" on Julius Caesar, it will give you a link to the Google archives.
Unfortunately google runs it all together (no paragraphs) and adds "???" all over the place .
But if your interested e-mail me and I'll send it to you in a better and updated form. Regards, Walter
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:21 PM
vivaldi

ttt

Old Aug 30th, 2003, 02:58 AM
vivaldi

Thanks for your inputs - Ill check them all out. City Secrets Rome is on order. amazon.com had lots of good book reviews on it.

Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:04 AM
dumas1870

Go see the Ecstasy of Santa Teresa.

Its in the Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria which is one of the finest examples of the baroque period in Rome. This Bernini statue shows the last moments of the young saint.

Piazza Santa Susanna.

Old Nov 24th, 2003, 04:43 PM

I agree with the post above about the Ecstacy of St. Teresa--one of the most moving Bernini pieces i have seen (sounds like I'm reccommending a film, but it's really a statue. really.). Trastevere is great, as well as Campo dei Fiori. Also, check out Santa Maria Maggiore near the train station. It's pretty impressive for a roman-turned- Baroque style church.

Also, Aventine Hill. Pretty neat and quiet. Beautiful beautiful views.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:18 PM

Following advice from this thread, I ordered 2 copies of "City Secrets Rome" from Amazon for Christmas presents. What a wonderful little book. Now I need to get myself a copy. It's a great read and is full of interesting information. Thanks for the tip!
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:25 PM

San Clemente and Crypt of the Carthusians were two of our favorite places in Rome. Neither one was crowded either.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:30 PM

A Google search for UNDERGROUND ROME will bring up links to websites like this one

http://www.underome.com/

that discuss Rome's subterranean sights. San Clemente is perhaps the best known, but there are many others.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:47 PM

If you go to the Aventine hill, have a look at the early Christian churches of Santa Sabina and Santa Prisca. Then walk down to the via Marmorata and have an authentic spaghetti alla carbonara at Perilli, much better, IMHO, than La Carbonara in Campo di Fiori, also less expensive and far less frequented by tourists.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:03 PM
MMM

Palazzo Massimo, near Termini Station, contained some incredible Roman mosaics as well as wall paintings that used to decorate Roman villas. Some were tremendously well preserved. Trastevere itself is a good stop, as is the church of Santa Maria in Trastevere. There is an impressive Bernini sculpture located in the church of San Francesco a Ripa in Trastevere--it is an altarpiece and is done in marble on the last side altar on the left if you are facing the main altar. I believe it represents the entering of one of the patrons of the church--Ludovica, I forget if she was a Barberini or another family name.

MMM
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:42 AM

Check out the Fontanella in Villa Borghese. A must for those who really want to experience the folklore of the city.

Experts say that this drinking water is the best in Rome. Find Viale Aranciera in the Villa Borghese and walk toward the lake, where you can rent a paddle boat. Just before you get there, on the left side of the path, sticking out of the stone, is a spout. Try the water and see for yourself.

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:33 AM

The Crypt of the Capuchins was closed for restoration on December 23rd. Check on its re-opening before showing up
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:24 PM

First and foremost, the Church of San Stefano Rotundo, which few people seem to know about--including our taxi driver, who came inside with us to marvel at the giant frescoes of the martyrdoms of the saints. Awesome!

Another is the catacombs beneath St. Peter's; tours are given in various languages and are the only way to see this amazing lower level, with early Christian burials.

Finally, don't miss the church of San Clemente, built on 3 different levels and including a chapel to Mithras.
Old May 25th, 2004, 03:41 AM
ChatNoir

Topping

Old May 26th, 2004, 03:54 AM
ChatNoir

Okay, here's one I found yesterday;

Rooms of St. Ignatius - The Pozzo Corridor. Piazza del Gesu 45.

Sometimes called The Holy Fun House. Wonderful example of prespective painting and distortion in art.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -