Favorite eating spots in Amboise

Nov 21st, 2003, 07:53 AM
MAP
Original Poster

Favorite eating spots in Amboise

We will be in Amboise (with a car) for 3 nights in June. Any suggestions for dinner in Amboise or close by in about $20-30 per person range? Also, any really great spots for lunch in area...same range? Appreciatively, MAP
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:32 PM

Well, right in town there's L'Epicerie and Madame Bigot's (at the foot of the castle), and if you're willing to splurge a bit beyond $30, you might try Le Cheval Blanc in Bléré, one of my favorite restaurants in all France.
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:40 PM

Hi, MAP. I'm no gourmet but I thought that my one dinner at the Hotel Blason in August of 2002 was very good, especially considering the price. I was staying there on half-board plan but I'm pretty sure that anyone could have dinner there for the same price. Here's what I wrote about it in my trip report.

"I was on the demi-pension plan (half-board) so had dinner at the Hotel. Dinner was delicious: Pannequet de Jambon et Fromage St. Maure (little cakes of ham and St. Maure goat cheese with salad of greens and beets), Civet de lapin (rabbit cooked in wine) with au gratin potatoes and a wonderfully light dessert - sorry, don't remember the name - of whipped fromage blanc (cheese) served with a raspberry coulis, a half-bottle of Evian - all this from their 14,30 euro menu. Wonderful!"

You could probably add a bottle of wine and still be within your budget.
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:55 PM

By all means, try L'Epicerie. I was there last May and had a wonderful meal!
I didn't eat at Madame Bigot's, but certainly sampled plenty of her chocolates - be sure to get some of those.
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:27 PM

Agree about Hotel Blason although our experience was two years ago. We happened to park in the lot behind the hotel; I remembered reading an entry about it in my guidebook, so we went in without reservations. We had just come from a week in Paris, and this was by far the best meal we had in the entire trip. I don't remember exactly what we had but every course outdid the one before.
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:41 PM

Also try Le Choiseul, though they might not let non-hotel guests eat there (I doubt it). It would also be beyond the $30 budget, but would be worth it.
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:13 AM
MAP
Original Poster

I will make a note of all of these. They sound perfect. Thank you !