Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Favorite Country in EUROPE????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favorite-country-in-europe-250945/)

Mary Aug 19th, 2002 08:16 AM

Favorite Country in EUROPE?????

Looking at my first trip to Europe and the choices are mindboggling. I only have a week so I need to limit my visit to one country.<BR>Your favorite country in Europe and why?<BR>THanks bunches

Peter Aug 19th, 2002 08:19 AM

Mary you are bound to get tons of different opinions, all correct to some degree. I, however, will tell you that all countries are wonderful but the most intriguing place in Europe is definetly Jerusalem. History, culture, food, I could go on and on.

xxxx Aug 19th, 2002 08:43 AM

Italy, without a doubt.

L Aug 19th, 2002 08:53 AM

Italy. Beauty, history, food & wine, wonderful people. What else do you need?

favorites Aug 19th, 2002 08:56 AM

First - try a search for "favorite countries" or "best country", believe this question has appeared before...<BR><BR>If you are traveling in the summer and want ocean/sea area: toss-up between Portugal (Lisbon and coastal area) and Italy.<BR><BR>If you are traveling in the early spring and late fall: London (England), Edinburgh (Scotland), or Madrid (Spain). Except for the south like Spain, there's a good chance it will rain in Europe in these seasons and you don't need sunny skies to enjoy the cultural and historical fascination of these places.<BR><BR>Otherwise: Switzerland has got to be Nr. 1. It's got great - and trendy - cities (Zurich and Basel), incredible mountains (the Alps, where there are gazillions of scenic areas and villages you could escape to...), lakes (Zurich; Walensee; Vierwaldstattersee; Lac Leman), lower hilly/mountain areas (Fribourg area, Jura), and even Italian flavor (Tessin). Plus some of the best tourism infrastructure including transport service par excellence and great hotels in all price categories; the best, wholesome food in the world; and, exposure to 3 main languages/cultures (by the way, it's a country where you can get by very well with English, since it's rapidly becoming a 2nd or 3rd language learned in the schools - and used for tourism and business). <BR><BR>Hope I've convinced you...?

janis Aug 19th, 2002 08:56 AM

SCOTLAND!!!!<BR><BR>Unbelievable scenery, terrific people and enthralling history<BR><BR>But you can't go wrong going anywhere in Europe for a week

Sarah Aug 19th, 2002 09:24 AM

I think italy without any doubt!<BR>It has got everything you want, art, culture, pope, wonderful landescapes, sun, snow (on the alps), sea, history, people, food, wine, friendly people...! I've been twice, the first time i was in the south...Fantastic! However the weather can be absolutely boiling in summer(over 42-43°C in sicily). I suggest you going there in November.<BR>There are no words to describe Rome, Florence and Venice. A visit to italy is a must! Have a nice trip!

Bill Aug 19th, 2002 09:37 AM

Albania.<BR><BR>Because the people there are so filled with joy at how much better life is now than 30 years ago. And how much better life will be in 30 years, compared to now.<BR>

Sheila Aug 19th, 2002 09:54 AM

I love my country (Scotland) and can recommend it above most for a visit. But I think there are other great places to go- Greece and Italy are just two.<BR><BR>But what do you like? What's your idea of a great week's trip?

ann Aug 19th, 2002 10:46 AM

Hi Sheila I love Scotland as well! I had the fortune of going to Stirling University for a semester and just loved your country.<BR>I also love Germany, especially southern Germany.

What??? Aug 19th, 2002 10:49 AM

Jerusalem is in Europe? You really are an ugly American!!!

zootsi Aug 19th, 2002 11:04 AM

Austria should also be considered. Vienna is a very beautiful, cosmopolitan city, easy for a first time visitor. The Austrian countyside is very beautiful, from the wineries on the Danube, to the Alps, to the rolling farmlands of Corinthia. Salzburg is one of the most enchanting small cities in Europe! I don't know how badly the flooding has hit this country, however.

PM Aug 19th, 2002 11:14 AM

Paris is my first choice and secondly Rome

Jonna Aug 19th, 2002 11:21 AM

SCOTLAND!!!!!<BR><BR>Without a doubt, wonderful in everyway except the food, but who cares. It is fabulous!!

gigi Aug 19th, 2002 11:44 AM

Paris, France!<BR>When I had my first chance to go to Europe for ten days, I had a very hard time deciding where to go. I finally asked myself, if I could only take one trip and see one place in Europe for the rest of my life, where would I want to go? I decided I could not die happy if I'd never been to Paris, so Paris it was! <BR>We also did day trips to Versailles, Fontainbleau, and Chartes, which got us out of the city and into a couple of smaller towns. Chartes was especially memorable- the cathedral is glorious and the medieval town fun to explore.<BR><BR>Paris is so beautiful and there is so much to see and do. Fabulous art museums, beautiful buildings, churches, great atmosphere, wonderful food, interesting cemetaries. Clean and efficient. Most people we encountered were very pleasan. It is also very affordable-we had a limited budget but we ended up spending less than we planned. Or, if you've got the money, it is certainly a fabulous city in which to splurge!<BR>Good luck and have a great trip, where ever you go!

Linda Aug 19th, 2002 12:00 PM

Germany: because of the beauty of the mountains and flatland, small towns, historic Berlin, great wine, Christmas markets, friendly people, cleanliness, "zimmer frei" b&b's, good food, interesting rivers and coastline, centralized location.

kalena Aug 19th, 2002 12:43 PM

As a previously self-avowed francophile, I must now add SCOTLAND to the list. I just got back from a two week trip there, and fell in love with Scots, the country's magnificent scenery, its history and great food. Edinburgh is magnificent. We will return to the Isle of Sky and Iona, and I will venture further into the Hebrides.

nancy Aug 19th, 2002 05:17 PM

Anytime someone asks me where I want to travel back to I say Italy. I've not spent a whole lot of time in Italy but, to me, it's so different from other European countries such as England, France, Germany, all of which I loved. Italy, to me, says welcoming people, fantastic sites, more interesting rural areas, just so different than the U.S. A week is not very much time but if I only had that I would spend time in Rome and Venice with any other place I could fit in.

Danna Aug 19th, 2002 05:24 PM

Scotland for sure.... the friendliest folk, and a breathtaking place. We are THE american promoters of Galloway in the Southwest :)... but Sheila keeps trying to lure me to Aberdeenshire... no matter where you go, the Scots and Scotland cause you to return again and again!

Fran Aug 19th, 2002 06:49 PM

Paris, France. Wonderful food and wine, lovely people, history, art, architecure, charm, variety. Have been there three times in the last 4 years.