Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Favorite CORNWALL/DEVON towns to visit in 3-4 days? Please advise!

Mar 21st, 2005, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,
Looking to travel to Cornwall(Devon too) in August. There are so many seaside towns it's hard to choose where to visit! (Would travel from my London trip to visit the Cornwall region for 3-4 days)

I won't be driving so the places would have to be near public transport. What do you recommend? I love the idea of seeing the rugged coastline, gorgeous cliffs, charming towns, historical buildings, moors, artists' jewelry and fun shopping, maybe even go on a boat...

Basically I will be staying in one town in Cornwall and my idea is to do day trips from that town via public transport (so I would also need to find a fair amount of stuff to do in the places I visit since it would be 1 place to travel to per day).

What do you all recommend? Penzance? St. Ives? Lands End? Mevagissy? Plymouth? Falmouth? Fowey? Padstow? .....The list goes on and on but I only have 3 of 4 days to do it.
Mar 21st, 2005, 06:31 PM

HI--I can only comment on 2 of the places you named. We loved St Ives. Penzance is more urban--compared to the picture postcard perfect town that is St Ives. There were several threads on this topcic recently and I suggest that you put cornwall as well as the names of some of the towns in the search box and see what comes up. I will also cut and paste some of my previous responses:

here is a post I sent a while back....Author: socialworker
Date: 04/22/2004, 11:22 am
Message: Abour 4 hours from London by train is the village of St. Ives. We were there in May one year (1998) and had 80 degree weather and sunshine.

We stayed in a B&B just out of town, up a steep hill, (walkable if you are in reasonable cardiovascular shape) with incredible views. The couple who ran it reminded me of the Fawlty Towers couple and the people staying there were all wonderfully stereotypically British.

It is a beautiful little seaside town that has palm trees. The water there is a lush shade of blue, reminiscent of the Mediterranean. It is a little touristy, but for the British. Sort of like Cape Cod for New Engalnders. We never saw any Americans, but it was May, not summer. And if you remember the nursery rhyme "I met a man from St Ives...seven wives...cats...kits, etc.."" (too long to type it all in here)--there really are cats everywhere there, so I guess the nursery rhyme has some basis in fact. Anyway, we loved it--stayed there 2 nights and just wandered around the little village and sat by the sea.

I don't know if I would call the place we stayed "fantastic". If this sounds interesting, let me know and I will try to dig up the name of the establishment. However, there are many B&Bs in the town. The best part of the one where we stayed was that some rooms had unbelievable ocean views but the place is very modestly priced--or at least it was in May of "98.

Mar 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM

We were in Cornwall in October and loved it. We did have a car though. Fowey was a great place and they did have a lot of places to stay. I can't speak about public transportation. We rented a house in Treworgey which is in the Looe Valley. We walked the Bodmin Moors and would definately recommend doing that. Plymouth was very urban, Polparis(sp?) very touristy. The Eden Project was worth the visit, but you really need a full day for that.
Mar 21st, 2005, 06:54 PM

In Devon, my husband and I loved the beach town of Torquay and the nearby environs. Lots to see and do in the area.
Mar 21st, 2005, 06:57 PM

Definitely Torquay!
Mar 21st, 2005, 07:01 PM

I took the train from London to Penzance in November a couple of years ago. Even in the off season I was able to use the public bus system. From Penzance it was an easy days bus ride to St. Ives and Lands End. In August you shouldn't have much trouble.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:14 AM

If you chose Truro as your base for seeing Cornwall (don't know if that was your eventual plan) that gives you the option of seeing quite a few places.

Personally I would make the effort to see

1. St Ives - not only is this a great tourist destination with things to do varying from the Tate Gallery to gift shopping in the charming Fore Street and Sloop craft market to taking a boat trip to Seal Island but it is also blessed by one of the most beautiful coastal rail branch lines in Britain from St Erth to St Ives. Rail services are regular and timed to fit in with the main service that would take you back to Truro. Also as a side note there are some wonderful restaurants in St Ives - my personal new favourite (I go at least once a year) is the Blue Fish just above the Sloop craft market. St Ives is on the rugged north coast and the sea air on Porthmeor Beach or at the top of the "island" with St Nicholas Chapel on top is exhilirating even in summer

2. Falmouth - a much bigger town but contains the National Maritime Museum which is worth a look, more mainstream shops (e.g Marks and Spencer) and also a lovely beach walk all the way to Pendennis Castle. There is a branch rail line direct from Truro

3. One day splurge hiring a taxi or even going on a local tour company bus -then you could accomplish the charming fishing villages of Mevagissey, Fowey and Polperro in one go. Polperro is the ultimate tourist fantasy of small stone houses, little gift shops, a whiff of fresh fish being landed and even getting a horse and cart into the village. Fowey is a much bigger town and somewhat more sophisticated - no beach but pleasant shops. Mevagissey is similar to Polperro but marginally less touristy and also very close to the Lost Gardens of Heligan if you like visiting a beautiful natural garden that feels almost tropical.

Do feel free to ask any more questions if you'd like to know more specifics. I'd be happy to help
Mar 22nd, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input.
**LONDONENGLAND--Thank you for your offer to let me contact you for further advice. How may I best do that with you? On this post or via email?

One of my questions among others would be---
Regarding places like Polperro--Since I am looking for a place I could spend hours in for the day doing lots of activities (shopping, walking by a beautiful coastline). Do you find that this town has a lot of activity to offer? You see, I spoke to a travel agent who 'canceled' the idea of traveling to some of the towns as not having enough to occupy a person for a full active day of sightseeing etc.

Thanks!
Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:24 AM

Personally I like the Linton/lynmouth area - scenic and lots of great walks. The coastline is lovely there. However I don't know about public transportation in the area.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 02:21 AM

LOTRHP - in answer to your question I'm happy to post here in case others are wanting to pick up on the advice too.

Over Polperro 2 hours maximum would be fine to "do" this. Similarly with Mevagissey and Fowey. Hence why I suggested trying to combine all of them in one day. I certainly believe it would be a tragedy though to miss out on the charm of seeing at least one of Mevagissey or Polperro. You could combine Mevagissey with the Lost Gardens of Heligan and turn that into a nice day
Mar 23rd, 2005, 02:48 AM

i second st ives and lynton, lynmouth. i've always driven so i am no help with public transport. i imagine st.ives is relatively easy to access via public transport since it is a fairly large town. there may be some better places recommended but st ives i think is the best combination of accessability vs. unspoiled. i do not recommend lands end or penzance. we drove out to lands end and were very glad we did but i would not spend a lot of time to try to get there by bus, etc.

i have no idea about the accessability of lynton/lynmouth but they are indeed beautiful places. i hope you like to and are able to walk because seaside walks are the best way to enjoy the british coast (large areas are undeveloped and easily accessable to walkers).