Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Favorite churches or cathedrals in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love visiting old churches...as I was reading Eyewitness Paris last night, it seemed like every church was described as "one of the most beautiful in Paris..." I could spend a good part of the trip trying to visit them all, but my kids would revolt.

I've been to Notre Dame, Sacre Couer, St. Germaine de Pres and St. Chapelle (please forgive my spelling). What others are your favorites?
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:48 AM

St.-Denis, which was once the burial place of the kings of France. The tombs of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette are there (probably empty), and there's often a red rose on her tomb: very poignant. The area around St.-Denis is probably best avoided after dark, however. St.-Denis is known in architectural circles for being just about the first blend of Romanesque and Gothic.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Left Bank - St. Etienne Du Mont (metro: Cardinal Lemoine) Shrine of St. Genevieve, resting place of some literary greats like Pascal and Racine and has a beautiful rood screen.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:38 PM

My brother visited Paris about 2 months before I did last year and raved about St. Eustache. This is an 18 yr old boy so I was a bit surprised. It wasn't on my list of places to see but I found myself wandering after visiting the Pompidou Center and ran into the church. I decided to go in and really liked it. It is Gothic and has a wonderful pipe organ. NO ONE was in there and it was the middle of the day. It is right across from Forum Les Halles the shopping area.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:48 PM
jay

st. sulpice
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:18 PM

St. Gervais.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:42 PM

I second St Sulpice. Also, if you are up for a daytrip, I was bowled over by Notre Dame de Chartres. It houses Mary's birth tunic, which has mysteriously survived the two destructions of the church (at least once by fire) over the centuries.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Degas

St. Séverin church is the oldest parish church on the left back of the Seine River and is built in a beautiful Gothic-style.

This may be too much info, but here goes:

The church began in the 6th century when Séverin, a pious hermit, lived there. The small oratory that honoured Séverin became afterwards a chapel and then a basilica because the wives of the kings of France, who then lived in Thermes, used to come and pray in this basilica.

The Vikings destroyed the basilica. The church was then rebuilt during the 11th century starting with the façade. It also became, at the same time, a parish church. The first three bays of the nave, the first southern aisle and the bell-tower were built during the same period.

The church was enlarged during the 14th century with the addition of a second southern aisle. From 1489 to 1495, five other bays and the chevet were built. During the same period, the southern aisles were rebuilt while two northern aisles were added.

The several lateral chapels were built from 1498 to 1520. In 1681, the duchess of Montpensier, a close cousin of Louis XIV, who was also called the < Grande Demoiselle >, had the bad idea of covering the chancel?s archways with marble based on plans drawn by Charles Le Brun and executed by Jean-Baptiste Tuby. In the 18th century, the triforium was perforated in order to light up the inside of the church. Finally in 1837, when the St. Pierre-aux-Boeufs church was destroyed to make way for Arcole Street, its portal, dating from the 13th century, was fitted to the unfinished western fa&ccedil;ade of St. S&eacute;verin.

The church is only 60 m (197 ft.) long but is 34 m (112 ft.) wide. Its 8-bay nave has no transept. Its double aisles, as in Notre-Dame, lead to a famous ambulatory. The complex network of vaults and these stunning pillars surrounding a central pillar with spiral flanges. Above the triforium, the large windows are decorated with very beautiful stained glass dating from the 15th and 16th centuries among which some are originating from St. Germain-des-Pr&eacute;s. The bell tower houses the most ancient bell in Paris, in dates back to 1412.

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:46 PM

My family loved St. Sulpice. After the Sunday service, around 12:30, you can take a guided tour of the huge pipe organ.

Seeing the keyboard and all the pipes up close was very interesting, plus you get a different view of the church from the organ loft.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:55 PM
pj

I have enjoyed services in St Germain, it right across the street from Le Deux on Rue Bonapart. PJ

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Like I said, I love old churches, but will have to prioritize on this trip. We sing in our church choir and have seen references to lots of the churches in music ... (e.g. &quot;The composer was the organist at St.Sulpice...&quot

My husband and I have been to Chartres...we were fortunate to stumble up one of Malcolm (Miller's?) lectures, which was just terrific and explained so much.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Since you've got all the big ones....

St Julien le Pauvre, left bank, near Notre Dame, one of the oldest churches in Paris. You can take in evening concerts there.

Mike
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:11 AM

I'm a fan of the previously mentioned St Etienne and St Julien. I'll add
Val-de-Grace in the 5th. On some days there's a food market set up outside.
for some history
http://www.paris.org/Kiosque/apr01/val.html
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:58 AM

Missypie,
One side note. You mentioned St. Chapelle. If you can hear a classical music concert at it, as we did in July, you will be doubly blessed. We heard Les Violons de France, led by young Frederic Moreau. What an event!!

Anthony
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'm back from my trip and I made it to most of the churches you suggested. I especially appreciated the suggestion on St. Denis, since it was &quot;off the map.&quot; I would not have discovered it on my own...it was so cool...not only are Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette buried there, but a whole lot of other kings and queens...folks who were queens and kings say, 1200 years ago! The history about the place makes my imagination go wild! There is actually a &quot;Joan of Arc was here&quot; plaque!

And for the more practical among you, right by the metro stop there is a BIG grocery/discount store. If you can time your visit right, you can bring lots of treats back to your hotel or apartment at very afforable prices (that is where we stocked up on chocolate bars).
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:17 PM

I did one of the &quot;Paris Walks&quot; of St. Denis. Very worthwhile and interesting -I was so glad I did the walk.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Saint Denis is one of my favourite's cathedral..
I try to go back there every time i visit Paris..Although is a little out of the way..and the neighborhood is not the best.
But it is worth the trip..
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 12:55 AM

I don't remember seeing the Sacre Coeur Basilica in Montmartre mentioned; very different from all the others which have been mentioned, and a great view of Paris if it is a clear day.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 04:22 AM

St. Chapelle- If going during the day for the windows, be sure the sun is shining. Our cloudy day visit was nice, but less than spectacular.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:20 AM

I think St Chappelle, it took my breath away and it is the one place I always think of first when Paris churches are mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -