Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Favorite castle accomodations in Europe... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favorite-castle-accomodations-in-europe-384078/)

dcmom8 Jun 24th, 2008 03:18 AM

Favorite castle accomodations in Europe...

We just returned from a visit to France and Germany. Thank you all for your insight: the trip was wonderful. I will post a trip report soon.

The highlight of our trip was our stay at Castle Hotel Auf Schonburg. It was amazing: great ambience, service and attention to detail. My daughters (age 4 and 7) said it was a dream come true.

I wanted to find out about other great castle stays in Europe (especially, but not limited to: Ireland, England, Scotland) while dreaming about our next trip.

Thank you!!

dfr4848 Jun 24th, 2008 04:23 AM

Amberley Castle, Nr. Arundel, West Sussex (England). Est. 1301. Extremely nice accommodations and grounds. Excellent Queen's Room Restaurant.

www.amberleycastle.co.uk

hausfrau Jun 24th, 2008 06:16 AM

So glad to hear that you enjoyed the Schoenburg!

I haven't stayed in any castles in the U.K. yet, but if you ever get back to Germany, another good one is on the Romantic Road, near Rothenburg:
www.burg-colmberg.de

bettyloo Jun 24th, 2008 07:04 AM

Dromoland Castle in Ireland was fantastic and the setting is so beautiful.

http://www.dromoland.ie/welcome.html

traveller1959 Jun 24th, 2008 12:19 PM

Here the castle hotels where we have already stayed and which we can recommend (most of them have a pool):

In Scotland:
www.devere-hotels.com/our-hotels/cameron-house

In Germany:
www.schloss-waldeck.de
www.schloss-schorssow.de
www.schloss-teschow.de
www.schlosshotel-kronberg.de
www.hugenpoet.de
www.burg-hotel-anholt.com
www.sportschlossvelen.de
www.burg-schnellenberg.de
www.schlosshotel-lerbach.com
www.buehlerhoehe.de
www.burg-schlitz.de

In Spain:
www.paradores-spain.com/spain/poropesa.html

(to be continued)

tampabay1 Jun 24th, 2008 12:25 PM

Castle Gutenfels in Kaub, along the Rhine.

Pretty amazing castle. We enjoye dit tremendously.

hopingtotravel Jun 24th, 2008 12:38 PM

Some have liked Ashford in Ireland.

Hagan Jun 24th, 2008 04:01 PM

Castello di Montegufoni, in Tuscany, about 20 km SW of FLorence. 12th century, with extensive grounds and a pool.

traveller1959 Jun 25th, 2008 06:34 AM

In France:

www.chateau-etoges.com
www.abbayedecernay.com
www.chateau-de-barive.com
www.lechateaudelatour.fr
www.tortiniere.com

flygirl Jun 26th, 2008 04:39 AM

ooh, I like this thread.

suse Jun 26th, 2008 04:45 AM

My family LOVED spending time at Ashford Castle! We've stayed at others, but this was our favorite.

LEVENLINKS Jun 26th, 2008 05:20 AM

THIS WAS OUR FAVORITE CASTLE IN GERMANY, TOO. WE HAD THE ROUND ROOM IN THE TOWER WITH THE ONLY BALCONY OVER-LOOKING THE RHINE.

kelliebellie Jun 26th, 2008 05:37 AM

Definitely bookmarking this one. I want to build a castle house here in the US and live in it.

driverlady Jun 26th, 2008 06:35 AM

The Alhambra in Granada, Spain. It is one of Spains Parador hotels. Book early (6 months in advance) because there are only a few rooms and the sell out early.

LJ Jun 26th, 2008 07:10 AM

Italy does not go in for castle accomodation in quite the same way as Germany, but this one Castello dell'Oscano, in Umbria, not too far from Perugia is great. We loved our room with four-poster bed and fireplace. It is largely used by very upscale Italians in search of a quiet weekend with fabulous food, esp. local 'antica, autentica'
dishes.
www.oscano.com

librarygirrrl Jun 26th, 2008 07:15 AM

An lovely place to stay in Scotland is Traquair House near Peebles. www.traquairhouse.co.uk
It's still a family home inhabited by the Maxwell Stuart family since the 12th century.
We combined the visit with a trip to Roslyn Chapel about 45 min. north of Peebles.

Looking like a french chateau, it's great for Bed and Breakfast (we stayed in the Blue Room on the website)and enjoyed breakfast in the Still Room with the family silver and a great view over the maze.

We also had the use of the 18th century living room and fireplace for the evening. The stay included a house tour. Note: they do weddings in the chapel and have a lovely dining room.

They have a wonderful on site brewery and we enjoyed meeting the local wildlife such as the peacocks, goat and Thelma and Louise, the cats.

Jaqkel Jun 26th, 2008 07:29 AM

Bonjour - Our group of 4 families totaling 17 people just returned from a stay in Loire Valley, France. Our self-catering chateau (w/housekeeper & daily continental breakfast)was by far one of our favorite stays in Europe. Chateau de Launay in Lombron (1/2 hour East of Le Mans)

robertino Jun 26th, 2008 08:05 AM

Really enjoyed Glengarry Castle Hotel on Loch Oich, Schloss Hohenstein near Coburg, and the Chateau de Trigance at the eastern end of the Gorge du Verdon.

double_n Jun 26th, 2008 08:06 AM

Ballyporty Castle, County Clare, Ireland. Near the town of Corofin. Absolutely gorgeous, and authentic...limestone walls, peat fireplaces, etc. Best of all, the castle and grounds are all for you...you rent the entire place for your family. After an orientation they just let you be and you get to be your own king/queen/etc. for however long you are there. Truly a special place. This is not a luxury resort, but is a thoroughly comfortable, very authentic and memorable experience.

pmrichard Jun 26th, 2008 09:19 AM

I'm with you flygirl. This is great! And perfect timing as we're planning a trip to Ireland (spring '09). Thanks for all the great info everyone!!!