Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Favorite B&B's in Kenmare and Dingle area (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favorite-b-and-bs-in-kenmare-and-dingle-area-898698/)

persevere Jul 13th, 2011 11:41 AM

Favorite B&B's in Kenmare and Dingle area

Need a Family room for a triple and was interested in hearing favorite's for lodging in the Kenmare and Dingle locations.

jent103 Jul 13th, 2011 12:09 PM

What exactly is your budget? People here can have everything from budget to luxury suggestions, so knowing that will help.

I stayed in a triple (one double bed + one twin) at Emlagh Lodge in Dingle. It was four years ago, so check current reviews, but I really enjoyed our stay. (There is an Emlagh House as well, I believe - just note that they're two different places. Though Emlagh House is probably perfectly nice as well!)

wojazz3 Jul 13th, 2011 12:49 PM

First I will say that I tend to stay outside of town for the peace, tranquility and views.

In Dingle I always stay at The Shores Country House. It is on the north coast of the peninsula in a stunning location overlooking the longest beach in Ireland. The service, comfort and food is unmatched, especially for the price. You can pay much more for much less. It is rated ***** by AA. At last check, price was still about E35-40 pp. Annette is my favorite B&B owner.

Near Kenmare I have stayed at Shaminir and Waters Edge. I Stayed at Water's Edge when it was very new and it is in walking distance of town on the otherside of the bridge and looks out on the Kenmare River. Shaminir is further down the Beara Coast road, perhaps a bit more upscale nad has a stunning view over the Kenmare River. Hosts at both places were great.

Hope this helps.

floridapugmom Jul 13th, 2011 01:03 PM

I highly recommend Pax House in Dingle. We stayed there for 2 nights this past October. While we were there a family of 7 arrived for a 3 night stay. Pax House has very comfortable rooms, good rates, the owner and his staff could not have been more friendly. The view from the dinning room is to die for! You can check out my review and pictures for Pax House on tripadvisor.com. I really loved our stay here and I know you and your family will also. b.

persevere Jul 13th, 2011 01:16 PM

Thank you for the above suggestions. Does anyone know what the cancellation policy is through "reseliva"? It states a one night booking cancellation for a no show, but isn't there generally a 24 hour cancellation free of a penalty? or not so in Ireland's B&B's through a booking service? Has anyone stayed at the Rock Crest House in Kenmare?

Thanks for the above recs, I will check them out now.

longhorn55 Jul 13th, 2011 03:13 PM

We spent two nights at Abbey Court in Kenmare and the owners couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. It's about a 12 minute walk to the main street and it's set far off the road, so it's really quiet.

While we did not stay in a 2-bedded room, we did inquire about them and they are available.

Why are you looking to book a B&B through a booking service? It's easy to book directly with the owners and preferable since there is no "middle man".

jefe Jul 13th, 2011 06:50 PM

We stayed at Rock Crest House in 2007. Technically, our room was in a house right behind Rock Crest House connected by the driveway. It was a newer unit with lots of space. Big room, huge bathroom. The owners were nice, and maybe it was because we didn't stay in the main house, but there definitely isn't the homey feel you will get at some other B&Bs. They were very full when we stayed there, so I think it's hard to have it not feel a bit like a small hotel rather than a B&B. Not a complaint, just an observation for those who might not like this.

Location to Kenmare is excellent, too. Quick walk into town. Only noted I made about breakfast were that the couple at the table next to us were asked like 3 times what they might like to drink. They still had nothing by the time we left. I didn't really note any other issues, which means breakfast wasn't bad - just nothing for me to have noted. I'd most likely stay here again. They also get pretty good reviews at Trip Advisor.