Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Favorite area to stay in Tuscany for 10 day stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favorite-area-to-stay-in-tuscany-for-10-day-stay-149015/)

Karen Jan 7th, 2003 01:34 PM

Favorite area to stay in Tuscany for 10 day stay?

Does anybody have a favorite place to stay in Tuscany for a 10 day stay. We would like something that is easily accessible to a restaurant(s) but would have room to move around. Which hilltown would be the best to locate next to or out of. Something smaller than Siena or San Gimiginano, please. Thank you.

cathy Jan 7th, 2003 02:14 PM

Hi Karen,<BR><BR>We stayed in Castellina in Chianti for a few days last year. It was a great location for traveling around Tuscany. We visited Siena and San G, as well as many small villages throughout Chianti. We enjoyed it very much.

Marilyn Jan 7th, 2003 02:42 PM

How about Montalcino?

Diane Jan 7th, 2003 02:54 PM

I'd suggest somewhere around Monteriggioni...there are several places in Strove. CastelBigozzi is where we stayed (and they have apartments which would be ideal for a longer stay). Wonderfully furnished in a real castle with extraordinary views. We had a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi. Yow. This area is South of Florence and slightly North of Siena. You can daytrip to just about anywhere in Tuscany from this area, and it is simply beautiful. Monteriggioni, itself, is like a toy town...there are a couple of good restaurants there. But one of the best restaurants we found was in a hamlet between Strove and Monteriggioni named Abbadia Isola. The restaurant is La Leggenda dei Frati. The concierge at CastelBigozzi recommended it to us as it was our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We spent about $100 for a splendid 4-course meal with a wonderful bottle of wine and complimentary grappa to finish. Just re-reading my notes from this trip...oh my, we really have to go back! A friend of mine stayed at another good place in the same area just this past Spring...I'll see if I can find that and post it here for you to consider as well.

Howard Jan 7th, 2003 03:07 PM

The Motalcino-Pienza-Montepulciano area in Southern Tuscany fills the bill, affording easy access to a good part of both Tuscany and Umbria.

Alice Twain Jan 8th, 2003 03:25 AM

With ten days I would not spend the whole holiday in one place only. Split it in two parts, spend one in the areas that have already ben suggested, and another 3-4 days in either the Amiata area or the Casentino area. These areas are far less famous than the countryside near Siena, but gorgeous and with lots to see. Probably the best lodging in either area is at some agritourism www.agriturismo.regione.toscana.it is the offical site for atritourisms in Tuscany, it lists all agritourisms in Tuscany, you can chose the area you want to stay in and contact the owner via mail or telephone. My favorite agritourism in the Siena area is in Radicondoli, Fonte di Sopra is a small farm with comfortable rooms all with small private bathrooms and it also offers breakfast (with terrific homemade jams) and dinner. It costs 44 euro per person (at least that's how much I have paid in december). From Radicondoli you can reach Volterra, Moteriggioni, Chiusdino, Massa Marittima, Siena and San Gimigniano in half an hour, with a one hour and a little more car ride you can get to Montalcino Pienza, Montepulciano and San Quirico D'Orcia.

Henly Jan 8th, 2003 08:10 AM

We stayed at this villa/resort/vineyard called Casali di Bibbiano and absolutely loved it, especially the location. It is right outside of Buonconvento with a view of the fortress in Montalcino. I loved southern Tuscany and Casali's proximity to Siena, Montalcino, Pienza, Bagno Vignoni, the beach town of Castiglione della Pescaia, and so much more. We also took a day trip to Florence which was around 1.5 hours in car.

Karen Jan 8th, 2003 09:45 AM

Thank you all for your help. I will research the information you all provided.

Karen Jan 8th, 2003 10:06 AM

Thank you all for your help. I will research the information you all provided.

loveitalia Jan 8th, 2003 11:31 AM

I would recommend Lucca (founded 180 BC by the Romans) and the environs around Lucca. Truly belissima! Lucca is unique as a Tuscany city because has remained sheltered and protected behind the 16th C walls encompassing it. Due to the flatness of the city (compared to other Tuscany towns), it is easy to walk around in with no hills to climb, in addition there are a lot of bicyclists which lend charm to the city as well.

Joyce Jan 8th, 2003 03:30 PM

Karen,<BR>You can get excellent advice on Tuscany from the website www.slowtrav.com. They have an excellent message board as well as reviews of areas and places to stay in Italy. Hope this helps.<BR>Joyce

FTR Jan 9th, 2003 04:24 AM

Any suggestions on places to stay in the area that have family size rooms. We would like something in a small town with accomodations for a family of 5.We will be spending 4 days in Tuscany, and 4 in Cinque Terra, so a weekly apartment rental won't work.

FTR Jan 10th, 2003 06:05 AM

ttt

Alice Twain Jan 10th, 2003 06:15 AM

FTR:<BR><BR>For Tuscany browse the www.agriturismo.regione.toscana.it site. It lists all agritourisms of Tuscany and make a few calls to the owners. Unlike when going through agencies, the owners are usually willing to rent rooms (one large room or one double and one with 3 beds) or small apartments also for 3-4-5 days (usually no less than 2).

canuck Jan 10th, 2003 08:07 AM

We stayed 2 weeks in Podere Torricella..just south of Florence. It enabled us to do tons of great day trips to as far away as Gubbio and close enough to drive into Florence in just a few minutes. It's near Montelupo but really out in the country. Has pool and nice restaurant. We loved it.

Claudia Jan 12th, 2003 05:06 PM

Last year we had a great base of operations for 4 days from Castellina in Chianti. We stayed at the Villa Godenano--close enough to town to walk in. The very best meal we have ever had in all of Italy was in C in C at Gallo Papas. You MUST get there when they open their doors (I think 7:00 pm). It is an all-evening event--the wait staff is superb. Get the Chef tasting menu. Yum, yum, yum.

Claudia Jan 12th, 2003 05:08 PM

Here is the web site for the Villa Godenano.<BR><BR>http://www.itwg.com/itw13683.asp?ses...amp;cache=6955