Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fav article for layering (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fav-article-for-layering-84958/)

PatriciaV2 Aug 30th, 2000 06:20 PM

Fav article for layering

Hi everyone! I am going to France in early-mid November. Brrrrr!!! I have a feeling it will be cold, and am looking for some advice (I know, I know) on what to wear. However, my question is somewhat different from others' in that I would like to know what is your favorite article for layering? <BR> <BR>What something might you *never leave home without* in November for those cold and rainy streets of Paris? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance! <BR>Patricia

Bob Brown Aug 30th, 2000 08:19 PM

Polarfleece!! If it works in a sleet storm on the Iceline Trail in Yoho, it will work in Paris! I also had my trusty Polarfleece under my wind breaker on the Jungfraujoch. <BR>Usually you need a wind tight shell of some type over the fleece on a windy day. I recommend Polarfleece 300. It should keep you warm in any weather about freezing. The 200 weight is a little lighter and suitable for most people, with a good shell garment.

elvira Aug 30th, 2000 08:32 PM

Underneath, a button-to-the-neck wool cardigan (are you old enough to remember Pandora sweaters?). Easy to take off when you get warm (no pulling over the head), tie it around your waist to keep your kidneys warm, keeps your chest warm (don't laugh at the previous two, I lived in New England, so I know whereof I speak), and if it's a dark color, can double as a dressy top with a scarf or jewelry.

Holly Aug 30th, 2000 09:45 PM

First layer should be a turtleneck. Then add the take-off stuff from there.

topper Aug 31st, 2000 06:20 AM

carolyn Aug 31st, 2000 06:22 AM

Cuddle Duds are great.

Tracy Aug 31st, 2000 06:26 AM

Patricia, <BR> <BR>It'll be cold by Californian standards but not if you're a New Yorker. Me, I like a silk vest under everything . . . Damart is one of the best European brands, but REI's house brand stuff is just as good! <BR> <BR>Keeps you warm without ruining your svelte figure <BR>; ) <BR>hth & have fun!

sandi Aug 31st, 2000 07:23 AM

Silk long johns are great (get them at REI) because they're oh-so-soft and they breath. They keep you amazingly warm for being so thin.

frank Aug 31st, 2000 07:31 AM

A fine wool scarf.

elaine Aug 31st, 2000 08:15 AM

one of my favorites is a pretty but durable large wool shawl. On a milder day, or on evening when I'm not going too far on foot, it's all I need. On a colder day it's another layer over my jacket or raincoat, or even inside the jacket draped around my neck or front. Adds a little pizzazz as well. <BR>What you need is largely dependent on what temps you are used to in November. <BR>I live in the N.E. of the US, so Paris doesn't seem any colder than home in Nov. Also the temps you get are very dependent on pure luck. Check the forecasts before you go.

Lesli Aug 31st, 2000 08:18 AM

I always bring a scarf and lined leather gloves if I think there's a chance the weather might be cold. (Clutching an umbrella with raw, frozen fingers is a real damper on your enjoyment of the charming street scenes through which you'll be passing.) My microfiber raincoat also has a warm liner, and I agree w/Elvira that a wool cardigan is infinitely useful - mine doubles as a bedjacket/bathrobe!

Robin Aug 31st, 2000 08:21 AM

REI also carries some "high-tech" synthetic stuff that is thicker than silk, but thinner and more packable than a lot of other undergarments. It's polyester with a cottony feel, and is very warm, and also strechy, so it's comfortable to lounge in as well. Sorry, I don't remember the proper name, but they should recognize what you're after.

KT Aug 31st, 2000 10:05 AM

I always bring my silk long underwear and either a Polartec vest or a Polartec jacket. One advantage of both of these fibers is that they dry very quickly. <BR> <BR>At home I like to wear cotton sweaters, but I'd advise against packing them. They don't provide much warmth considering their bulk and weight. Lambswool, on the other hand, is very warm for its weight. <BR>

Thyra Aug 31st, 2000 10:24 AM

Another vote for the leather gloves, every trip I debate bringing them, then I am ALWAYS glad I have them. Also I bring soft cotton tights to wear under pants, skirts etc. They are not scratchy like synthetics and they keep you warm. Believe it or not, my husband and I bought East German Army Parka's a couple of years ago, they weigh a ton. But everytime we've been over seas we have been happy that we have them, (thin, So. Cal blood and all) But there is no denying they are kind of a pain to cart around.

Steve Aug 31st, 2000 01:39 PM

Another vote for Polartec, especially the lighter/thinner weights. Warm, dries quickly. Polartec scarves are great. As an old runner, I've learned that nothing keeps you warmer in cold weather than a warm head, neck, chest, and hands. That's where you seem to lose warmth the fastest.

Norma Jean Aug 31st, 2000 01:39 PM

Just wear Chanel No. 5 & find romance...

Richard Aug 31st, 2000 02:08 PM

For me, if my neck is warm, I'm warm. 1st, a long sleeve T-shirt, then a cotton turtle neck, a cotton sweater and finally a wind-breaker jacket. For your feet, wicking socks and light wool socks. All of the above is suitable if you're never going inside or on the Metro. Paris is not that cold, we've been there in January and wore the clothing I described and were just fine, especially after climbing the Notre Dame tower.

Thyra Aug 31st, 2000 02:21 PM

With all due respect to Richard, two years ago we were in Paris and it was FREEZING cold, icy showers blasting us. We were there in March, and just to show you how weird weather is, we had just finished up 2 weeks of touring around Austria and the Alps and all that where it was downright hot and sunny! We kept wandering around thinking, "why did we bring all this winter gear?" We get to Paris and BlaM*** It did make for some lovely, fun nights in cafe's though with a bunch of strangers sitting around commenting on the weather and a waiter who sang Singin' in the Rain and tap danced around the bistro.

Karen Sep 1st, 2000 06:45 AM

We're also going to France in early November. Here's what I plan and have done on other trips..... <BR> <BR>Save your old, ratty t-shirts for layering, and then toss them at the end of the trip. No one sees them under your sweater, and you go home lighter. <BR> <BR>For new things, tank tops or cotton camisoles are great under a turtle-neck and/or sweater. They keep your front and back warm without the bulk of sleeves, and take up little room in your luggage. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

topper Sep 2nd, 2000 03:43 AM