FAUX FUR Coats in London in November

Sep 8th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

FAUX FUR Coats in London in November

Hi! I saw some older topics on this subject, but I wanted to make sure the information/facts have not changed. I will be going to London the first week in November and I need to know if a FAUX FUR coat would be okay to wear. I had a real fur coat I was going to take, but, after reading the old topic in this forum, I came to understand that London is not fur friendly and that the rain might ruin a real fur. It really is the only coat I have outside of the faux fur one and I am trying to avoid spending more money (already spent enough on the trip; going to see a sick friend, so it is a necessity and not a vacation). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:26 PM

Rain is likely in November but London isn't that cold so you'd probably be better off with a raincoat.

It's fine to wear faux fur but it's not a great look in the rain! Do take an umbrella.
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Rain could ruin a fur coat anywhere, right? I agree about the temps at that time of year; London can be quite "mild" and the raincoat perhaps with a lining sounds like a better idea. Layers might help if you don't want to spend money on a new coat. A collapsible umbrella should be fine.
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM

It was cold one November in London when I was there.
Faux furs are not popular in Paris as well as London,
but with the global warming you never know. There was alot of snow in Provence last winter and that was weird for the population who don't dress for snow. Try the five day weather report for London.
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:08 PM

Don;t see how rain can ruin a fur coat - the animals seem OK. But do agree that owing one is reprehensible IMHO.

As for faux fur - too tacky for words.

Agree that London is not that cold in Nov (or even usually in midwinter) and a raincoat - esp if it has a liner should be fine. You will also want layers - since many places in London are not overheated indoors - so you will want to have sweater, warner pants or skirts, waterproofed walking shoes or booties and a sturdy umbrella.
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:25 PM

correction, faux furs ARE popular and they are now not tacky as previously made years ago.
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:10 AM

But it will still be too warm for a fur coat unless you are from the Deep South or southwest.
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:12 AM

definitely a rain-coat.

if it's wet it'll be a more practical than your fur, and if it's warm you wouldn't have needed the fur anyway.
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:28 AM

I often have to remove the liner in my raincoat in November. THe usual is the rain gods smile on me and I seldom have had the need for an umbrella even.
Sep 9th, 2012, 04:30 AM

Is anyplace (other than Moscow) "fur friendly" these days? You will not need a faux fur in London. I was there on business the end of November a couple of years ago and never even used the liner of my raincoat. The weather was really nice.
Sep 9th, 2012, 04:33 AM

weird conversation, why do you have real fur coat? Agh the jokes are lining up in the back of my mind...
Sep 9th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Oh,wow! I am new to this forum and kept expecting to get email notifications when people responded. I didn't get any and thought I'd check back in and had gotten soooo many! Thanks so much! Based on all the comments, I will consider "splurging" for an all-weather coat of some sort.

@mamcalice - They actually don't bother us about fur here in Texas, either.

@bilboburgler - Why is the conversation weird? I have it because I wear it.

Again, thanks to all!
Sep 9th, 2012, 10:07 AM

To people in many places fur is not considered appropriate. Hav eyou never heard of PETA? Have you never seen women wearing furs doused in red paint? And I can;t imagine it gets cold enough in Texas that you would actually need a fur.

And sorry - every faux fur I have seen resembles a dead rat - or a pair of Uggs.

Perhaps because we don't have many of them here (either real or faux). (I have seen women wearing furs - but never walking on the streets - only getting in or out of limos - I'm sure in part due to the protests/attitude.)
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I have heard of PETA and I have heard the stories of people getting doused. That's why I was asking the question as it relates to the faux fur. Besides IT IS ALL I HAVE!

And yes, it does get cold enough to wear my coat here in Texas, though not everyday.

There are better quality faux furs that do not look cheap, too.

I didn't know if the attitude was the same regarding faux furs. As I said above, we have never had a problem with either one here, not ever. If they DO protest here, it is not in my town or my area.
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Get off your high horse nytraveler!
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

@cafegoddess - I know! Thank you! Geez!