Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fat Tire Bike Tour in Paris on arrival day? Need Paris itinerary input!

Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

We arrive in Paris CDG from the US at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning (May 2nd). We are staying in an apartment in the 4th on Rue Rambuteau.

We want to do a Fat Tire Bike Tour at 3:00 p.m. Is this nuts?
We've never traveled overseas and have not experienced jetlag. I plan to condition myself the week before by gradually setting my clock forward to the new local time. My husband will not be able to do this because of work, but he can sleep pretty much anywhere. Our 18 year old son adapts to new time schedules fairly easily as well.

Our second day in Paris will be on a free Louvre admission Sunday. That is all we have planned for that day.

Our third day we plan to do the Fat Tire Versailles tour.

Day four will be go to Sacre Couer and Musee d'Orsay.

Our fifth (and last) day we will visit Notre Dame in the morning. We'll need to arrive at the airport around 4 in the afternoon.

Suggestions? Input? Mild criticism?
Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM

Field Trip.
If I am reading your itinerary correctly, you plan to take the Fat Tire Bike Tour of Versailles on a Monday, which is the only day of the week the Chateau is closed. If you must see Versailles, as this sounds like a very short trip, I would suggest switching your Sunday and Monday activities. The Louvre is open on Monday (closed Tuesdays). You won't be able to take advantage of the free admission on Sunday, but as has been posted on this board previously, Free Sundays can be extremely crowded.
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:49 AM

I've flown to Europe several times over the years and find having a fairly quiet day works best for me on arrival. So a bike tour would be out.

I also wouldn't worry about the free Louvre day... the cost of a museum ticket is very small in comparison to the cost of your trip... buy a ticket and get there first thing to avoid crowds on a regular day. Free day is likely a zoo!

And a whole day at the Louvre? I've been several times but can't imagine a whole day in there... my head would explode! LOL

Spend part of your day there then walk to Ile St Louis and have a wander around. Cross from the Ile and walk along the Boul St Germain and into the Latin Quarter. You will thus discover that one of the true joys of Paris is not having any plans at all! ;^)

Bon voyage!

Rob
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:57 AM

My experience of returning from the US after holidays, and landing early morning, is that 3 pm is just about the time jet lag really hits and I find it really hard to concentrate or keep awake. I would suggest it's not a good time for a bike ride.
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:59 AM

Sunday is a great day to do the Versailles bike trip. Sunday is Market Day in Versailles, really fun! My husband and I really enjoyed it.
Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:53 AM

Hi! I agree with the other posters here - a bike tour after arrival personally would be a bit too much...

We did the Versailles tour last summer and LOVED it - what a fantastic way to see Versailles! It was so much fun to get picnic items at the market and enjoy them lakeside. We were wiped out by the time we got back to the hotel, so prepare for a long (though well-worth-it) day!

Enjoy your trip!
Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM

I would not schedule anything specific for the first day, especially if you have never experienced jet lag. If you are feeling frisky, you will find plenty of things to do in the city (mostly walking around, probably), and if you are exhausted, at least you won't feel guilty about missing something that you have carefully planned.
Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Great advice! Thanks to all of you!
Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM

We usually, check in, find a bite to eat, take a short nap, then eat again....I guess that is how much of our vacation goes though...Hmmmm...
Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:52 PM

My 17 year old daughter and I are in Paris right now. On our second full day here, we did a Fat Tire SEGWAY tour and it was a BLAST! A great way to get your bearings on the city, see some of the high points (Eiffel Tour, Invalides, Tuileries, Louvre, back and forth over the bridges on the Seine) get a bit of history and have a lot of fun doing it. If you are already going to do a bike tour at Versailles - I would suggest you try the Segways in Paris. Have fun!
Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:41 AM

i am also in paris right now with my 16 y.o. dd.
on our 1st day after checking into our apt in the 6th, we checked out our neighbourhood, ate some crepes and walked along the siene.
although we had intended to stay up, we succumbed to fatigue around 3 p.m. and had a short 2 hour nap.
we took a siene cruise in the evening and enjoyed wine and cheese at a bistro near our apt.
we had planned on sleeping in the next morning and taking the fat bike tour at 11 a.m.
but, i think because we rested in the afternoon and went to bed relatively early (10 p.m.), we ended up waking up in time to visit the eiffel tower at 9:30 a.m.
it gave us the perfect opportunity to miss the crowds at eiffel tower and be on time for the fat bike tours.
i don't think there is any way in the world we would have had the energy for the bike tour on the day we arrived.
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Do the fat tire tour on your first day, we did it on our last day there, just last week & THOUROUGHLY enjoyed it, as a segway tour, would have recommended it a the beginning also , to get an overview of the city. You will NOT regret it, and stock up on their cheap water bottles while you're there.