Search

Fat Tire Bike Tour - D-Day Beaches Tour

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fat Tire Bike Tour - D-Day Beaches Tour

Hi,

Has anyone ever done this? I've taken the day and night tours of Paris with this company, and I am interested in going to the D-Day Beaches while in Paris (for 2 weeks).

The weekday tours are 10 hours and the weekend tours are 12 hours, and the price is 150E.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually done this.

Thanks.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM

ttt
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:53 PM

Celiaanne-

Sorry I haven't taken the D-Day tour, but we did take the night tour of Paris and the Versailles tour.

I know Versailles is nothing like D-Day, but on both tours you have to take the train with your bikes, correct? I just wanted to report that everything went very smoothly. I completely trust this company and would recommend it to anyone. If you go, please let us know how it was.

Liz
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:21 PM

We signed up last year, believing that they were similar to the others, because they had a much more reasonable departure time (10:20, versus 7AM or earlier) than all the bus tours.

However, when we went to pick up our train tickets (and by then, I had learned that the train ride took the exact same time as the bus ride), we were told that we should pack a lunch or pick one up at the train station and have lunch on the train, as there would be no lunch or break stops once in Normandy.

We decided to cancel because it seemed that their tour would be too rushed and not as comprehensive (fewer stops and sights) as the bus tours. And, also, because our primary reason for booking with them was the smaller bus/group, but then they advised they had switched to the huge tour bus because of the number of bookings.

All in all, we decided that it just wouldn't be as worthwhile as the regular bus tours.

On our way out, a couple who had gone on their Normandy tour told us that, unless you really want to stand in the huge cemetaries, you can appreciate everything about Normandy from movies and documentaries and travel shows. They were most disappointed with the "beaches", as nowadays, they are more "scenic" and "resort" and you'd never guess anything ever happened on them.

We didn't mind having to pick up our train tickets ahead of time, or getting ourselves (and lunch) to the station. What bothered us was the much larger group and less comprehensive itinerary.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:29 PM

Keep in the mind, that the beaches are over 50 miles long. And a lot of the action occured over a wide area behind the beaches. Very difficult to comprehend or view in one day and especially a one day tour from Paris. Stay in the area and take a couple of days.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

djkbooks, Thank you for all the information. From what you describe, I don't think this is what we are looking for, but I guess the distance from Paris and the size of the Normany Beach area determines the tour. I'll have to re-think this option.

Maybe as frmpden says, you need a few days in the area, which in our case isn't possible.

But, if anyone does have a one-day tour he/she would recommend, I would appreciate hearing about it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:18 AM

Celiaane. if you cannot stay overnight in the area then I would focus on something else. And save it for another trip. One way that we always deal with problem is to say,"We will see that next time." Even if we don't have a next time scheduled. Never exclude the possibility of returning.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, fmpden. I think I will take your adivce and "save it" for another time.