Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fastest way from Heathrow to Waterloo Station?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 11:49 PM
Anna

I've searched the boards, but haven't found a answer to my question. My flight arrives at Heathrow at 6:30am. My friend and I want to take the chunnel to Paris, which is in Waterloo station. What is the cheapest way? What is the fastest way?<BR><BR>Should I use the tube or the Heathrow Express which ends up in Paddington Station?<BR><BR>This is my first time to London, so what would be the wisest way for me to travel?<BR><BR>

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 02:17 AM
andrew

Anna - The cheapest way is to go by tube - buy an "all zone travelcard" - it will cost you about GBP5 (approx USD7). Take the blue line(called the Piccadilly line) eastbound to Green Park station change to connect with the silver line (called the Jubilee line) southbound to Waterloo station - total travel distance will be about 1 hour (but allow 1 hour 30). <BR><BR>The fastest way is the Heathrow Express which will cost GBP15 (USD21) to take you to London Paddington station in 15 minutes. The tube journey (cost GBP1.50 for a Zone 1 single) then from Paddington to Waterloo by the brown line (Bakerloo line) southbound is about 20 minutes. (allow 1 hour for the whole journey)<BR><BR>Of course other options are to take a cab. If you are arriving at 6.30am though the journey will take you well over an 1 hour (possibly 2 hours) as traffic will be horrendous then coming in to London. It will also cost anything up to GBP40 (USD56) <BR><BR>My advice is if you can afford it take the Heathrow Express and then the tube from Paddington. Although it is more expensive, it is a lot more comfortable after your long flight<BR><BR>Hope this helps<BR>Andrew<BR>

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Patrick

Not quite the fastest way, but the alternative is to take a car hire. I use Swiss Cottage Cars 011-44-207-431-2700. They will meet you right as you come out of customs, help you with your luggage and take you direct to Waterloo. The cost should be about 25 pounds to 30 pounds (for the two of you, less than two tickets on Express plus a taxi to Waterloo from Paddington), but still a little more than the Express plus the tube -- they will quote you an actual price when you call. No extras even if they have to wait for your arrival. I don't know how much luggage you have, but taking it clear through Heathrow to the Express station, dealing with it on the train, through Paddington, and onto the tube can be quite an ordeal, especially at that rush hour. I wouldn't want to be changing from the Heathrow Express to the tube at Paddington at something like 7:30 to 8:30 in the morning especially with my luggage. It will be a zoo there. And a taxi from Paddington to Waterloo could be a total gridlock.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 11:00 AM
janis

There are only two ways I would recommend at that hour. A car service - not much more than the LHX when you add the cab fare or tube fare from Paddington to Waterloo - and a LOT less hassle. Plus the queue for a taxi at Paddington will be miles long at rush hour.<BR><BR>Second choice - take a cab to Windsor or Slough (about ten minutes) and then catch the train directly to Waterloo. This would probably be faster than a driver considering traffic at that time of day. There are two railway stations in Windsor - the main station train to waterloo involves a change of trains at Slough. But Windsor Riverside trains go directly to Waterloo.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Anna

Patrick, <BR><BR>Does the car hire company have a website? How long will it take to get from Heathrow to Waterloo if I use the car hire?<BR><BR>Janis... How long is the train ride from Windsor to Waterloo?

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Alec

Windsor and Eton Riverside to London Waterloo is just under an hour, train about two an hour on weekdays.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Patrick

No, Swiss Cottage Cars does not have a website, you need to call them. There are a number of similar companies with websites, most seem to charge a little more. They take me from Heathrow to Covent Garden, not far from Waterloo and it seems like it is always takes an hour, whether we seem to get stuck in a lot of traffic or not. Not sure how it always comes out to be that and of course, it could take longer. Usually the driver is in contact with other drivers and knows where all the traffic blocks are, so he tries to avoid them, but of course, sometimes the traffic is backed up everywhere in London.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 11:36 PM
Anna

Patrick,<BR><BR>Sorry to bother you again Does the Swiss Country Car Company charge you by the hour, or is it a flat rate?

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 04:31 AM
Patrick

It is a flat rate, that they will quote you when you call and give them the details. I didn't go to London this year, but last year my charge was still 25 pounds, maybe up a little now. You give them your flight number and they meet you with a sign with your name right outside arrivals. Once my flight was over two hours late, but they check with the airlines and time their arrival, so there is no extra charge if you are late. They also do not charge for parking as some services apparently do. If you call, don't be alarmed if they answer something other than Swiss Cottage Cars. This same service actually uses a couple of other names as well. They have independent drivers who own their own cars. I often recommend them and have only had one "bad" report here, from someone who said the car they got was small, not clean, and the driver couldn't find their hotel. Since you are supposed to give them your destination in advance, I've never understood that. Every car that has picked me up has been comfortable and spotless. And they certainly will know where Waterloo is!

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Lori

Anna,<BR>We've used www.london-tranfers.com (Ray Skinner) several times for driver pick up services. He is terrific and I've recommended his company several times and everyone has been pleased. Flat fee plus tip - you cannot beat the service. No way would I drag luggage in and out of trains (Heathrow Express included) and then try and get a cab at Paddington. In the end it costs as much as getting a car driver service which is much less stressful overall. By the way, they call it the Eurostar train to Paris .. not the chunnel train.

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Lori

That's www.london-transfers.com - I think I made a typo!