Fast trip to D-Day Beach's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At present I am in Mumbai, India on a work assignment, I will be here for about 4-6 more weeks, yea I know..Monsoon season..
But, I fly from here to Paris and have a day, maybe 1 1/2 days layover, (my choice)
Best way to get to Normandy..drive? train?
If I drive, hire a car in CDG? Best directions to get there from CDG..I see that A13 gets me up there..
Any help or ideas?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:35 AM

Use viamichelin.com to plan a route. Bayeux is about a 3-hour drive almost due west of CDG.

In terms of a guided tour, the train from Paris would be a good fit. You'd take the RER to Gare du Nord then Gare St-Lazare. SNCF trains go from there to Caen and Bayeux. Maybe spend the night and take either a canned tour or hire a driver from the TIC. An economical alternative would be a bus pass from busverts.fr
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:36 AM
wug

We were just in Paris a couple of weeks ago and took a day to go to Normandy. We rented a car from CDG and drove on our own. It was about two hours. We opted for a car rather than a train because there were four of us and it made more sense as far as cost. Having a car was nice too because we could see things at our own pace, etc. Once you're along the Normandy coast it's really easy to get around. There are a lot of signs guiding you to the sites.

We took the A13. You have to head south out of CDG back toward Paris and then take the roads around St. Denis, etc... in order to get to A13. Just be sure you know what you're doing ahead of time. It's easy but, the exits can come up pretty quickly when you're going around Paris and it can be fairly heavy traffic.

This was the fourth time to Normandy for me and it was still very moving. Enjoy!
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you fly Mumbai to Paris to Caen?

I think I'd look for a private tour out of Caen or Bayeux and have an agenda in mind for your brief time so that you can tell the guide what's most important to you. My personal priorities, for only 1-1.5 days, would be to drive the beaches from east to west. Stop and walk the ones that interest you the most and definitely stop at Arromanches and Pont du Hoc. Visit the American and German cemeteries (dramatically different atmospheres) and any of the small museums you have time for. The one at Arromanches is very good. If you still have time, visit the Peace Museum in Caen.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:03 PM

If you are alone and don't want to drive, Grayline has a bus tour, leaves Paris in the morning and returns about 14 hours later. Wouldn't have to drive and could sleep on the 3 hours back, if you like this sort of thing. Just a thought.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 05:18 AM

Bus tours from Paris on Citirama or Paris vision have minivan (8 people or less.+ private guide).Hotel pick up at 6 am and return to hotel at 8 pm. About the best deal with limited time.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 06:22 AM

For groups of up to 7:

PREM fare from Gare St-Lazare to Bayeux 19&euro; each way per <i>person</i>
Driver from Tourist Information Center 70-90&euro; per <i>carload</i>

I think that's pretty hard to beat with a tour out of Paris.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 05:10 PM

Robspierre.....what you are describing sounds like transportation to Bayeau not a tour...but where does one make arrangements and at what time etc,etc????
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 06:30 PM

PREM fare from Gare St-Lazare to Bayeux 19&euro; each way per person <b>= transportation to Bayeux</b>

Driver from Tourist Information Center 70-90&euro; per carload <b>= guided tour of the invasion area</b> Just walk in and tell them what you want. They'll have your tour ready to depart in 10 minutes.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Robespierre,
I am starting to like your idea..
If I understand right, take a train from Paris to Bayeux, hire a tour there at Bayeux..correct?
Would the price of the tour change if just one person?
Train schedule? My flight from Mumbai would get into Paris around 8AM. so time to get to a hotel and on a train.
Would I do better to stay in Bayeux or Paris? Being that I will have some luggage.

Thanks to all for the ideas..it is making it easier to plan this fast trip.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Since you wouldn't get to Normandy until well after noon, I'd suggest staying there. Maybe take in the Bayeux cathedral and/or Tapestery, then do the invasion museums and beaches the next day.

The private tours charge carload rates, but maybe you could join another group when you book. If you're up for a do-it-yourself adventure, get a day pass from http://www.busverts.fr and conduct your own tour.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 09:24 AM

I'm trying to do a similar trip but have enev less time. I want to check out the American cemetary on Sat July 29. Depart Paris in the am and then back to Paris Bercy for the overnight train to Rome. Possible?
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Absolutely.

Take the first train from Gare St-Lazare to Caen
Either get a bus pass (<i>ticket Libert&eacute;</i from http://www.busverts.fr, or a driver
Follow the <font color="red">dd</font> route on this map: http://www.busverts.fr/_ete/images/carte1_ete.gif
Have fresh seafood lunch at Port-en-Bessin
Return to Bayeux, maybe see the Tapestery
Take last train to Paris
Ride M&eacute;tro Ligne 14 straight from Gare St-Lazare to Bercy
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 09:50 AM

thanks, my train is a 7pm from Paris Bercy, there is a 9:08 departure from Paris and then a 3:02 return to Paris St Lazare. Would that give me enough time in Normandy (4 hours) and then enough time from Gare St-Lazare to Bercy? Thanks for your help
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 10:05 AM

That's pretty tight. How about the 8h10 - 10h19 from St-Lazare, to give you one more hour in Normandy?

I don't think the 15h01 - 17h06 return can be improved upon - but at least you'll have a couple of hours in Paris to play with.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:11 AM

thanks, you have been very helpful
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Well I am back in Mumbai. My planned fast trip to normandy fell through, death in family and had to head straight back home.
But I am going to try again.
Can someone tell me for sure that I need a International Drivers License to rent a car in France. I have seen yes you have to, to a NO and even well not really but good to have in case you get stopped by police.

So, do I have to have one?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It isn't a &quot;license&quot;. It is an International Drivers Permit - and is simply a translation of your own license. You don't &quot;need&quot; one to rent a car. But if stopped by police, etc they are a big help. One is required in Italy - but in France I believe, no.

They cost so little - I'd personally get one. But if it is a big hassle to get one in Mumbai - dunno??
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
oh - to clarify -- I meant to say they are required in some counntries like Italy, but as far as I know not required in France. (I'd personally still get one)
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks..
I will try to get one here if I can.
But ANYTHING is a hassle in Mumbai..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -