Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fast Cars and Beautiful Women is how the town has been descibed to me?

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Okay-now that I have your attention....does anyone have any tips for my 21 year old son who is going to live in Turin/Torino Italy for his "junior year abroad"? (He will be living in an apartment with a couple other exchange students.)Where to bank...type of clothes he will need...prices...where to shop...etc.? Any type of information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about the spelling in the title-still early and I need some more coffee!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Intrepid

With the VERY greatest of respect I am sure you are trying to be helpful as your son matures and begins to elude the parental grasp. And I hope you get lots of suggestions you can pass on. In all honesty though I think any 21 year old who will be bunking with a couple of other students will have all the answers to these questions and some of the ones you're probably hoping he wouldn't ask in less than 24 hours after arrival! Be careful, though...he may very well come home singing the praises of slow cars and beautiful men!

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:46 AM

I agree with Intrepid--most of the concerns you mention can be figured out once there. Clothing? He should bring what he wears at home, which will be the same styles in general that the students in Torino will be wearing. Note that Torino can be very cold in the winter, so bring a warm coat. Shopping and banking are best discovered once he sees what's in the neighborhood of his apartment.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:41 AM
ira

Hi dutyfree,

So, your son chose Italy. Good idea.

As a former professor person, I assure you that you have been given good advice.

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 10:48 AM

Here are some thoughts:

- Clothes. bring them from the US. Clothing is much more expensive in Europe. Try them on - returns are rarely accepted.
- Expect no AC. Buy a fan ASAP.
- washers. He probably will share one with everyone else in the apt building. probably have a sign up sheet for when he can use it. Euro washers take a looong time. shortest cycle about 1 hour.
- Use low heat (30 C or less) to wash - or else everything will shrink. Bring extra underware as the elastic will be shot quickly.
- remember that he must pay duty $$ on care packages from home.
- Plan ahead for shopping. Most stores are closed on Sundays
- Cell phones are called Natel, handys or Bambini
- Brush up on soccer. The move of football Gott Beckham to REAL Madrid was major news.
- begin to follow Euro news. Biggest story today was expanding German/Italian rift: Shroeder cancelled Italian vaca plans due to Stefani/Berlusconi remarks

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Queenie-thanks for the information on washing situation,etc. I had heard that there were no dryers in Italy (as we know them)so was wondering if he should be switching over to more of the "micro fiber" stuff for ease of washing.
As far as soccer-he is presently working for a pro USA team for summer so is very excited about seeing all the teams overseas in person.I was just wondering if there were stores that were like a Target/Walmart over there. (I know that Paris has Monoprix?)Some place that was reasonable for toiletries or cheap apartment items.Any other info such as what is the main bank over there and what is the most popular cell phone company would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:26 PM

Dutyfree: It seems to me that the best person to be asking these questions is your 21 year old son. If he is unable or unwilling to explore these issues for himself, I would be concerned about his travel plans. You can try to help as much as you want, but if he isn't thinking about or exploring these issues for himself, he is not going to be prepared for his travels (despite your best efforts).
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:29 PM

I agree you are trying to micromanage this experience too much. He's an adult, 21 years old. If he can't figure out how to look around and find a store to buy toiletries in or other things, he shouldn't be going because he is incapable of travel or living on his own.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:42 PM

As a girl that studied abroad 4 out of her 8 semesters in college, I can assure you that he'll be just fine. Just use your common sense...I've studied in Spain (Madrid and Barcelona) Rome and Cairo
some things that I never thought to buy that I needed were: outlet converter, a raincoat, a journal, film (it can get really expensive), good backpack and an open mind...

Just make sure he leaves w suffient amounts of money and a good budget in mind...
Banking, grocery shopping and other activities common to a 21 year olds life will come in due time...that's the best part of studying abroad, discovering life on your own.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:53 PM

dutyfree, I agree with the others that your son should be asking these questions. That said...

There are clothes dryers in Italy, but not everyone has them. I suppose this will depend upon the particular facilities of his apartment. electricity is very expensive there.

The stores Standa and Upim are similar to Walmart and Target, but not the same and certainly not as large. They also have Ikea for inexpensive apartment items.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 02:12 PM
dln

Aw, c'mon everyone! Cut this poor mother a break! She's only doing what every mother in the world does: worry about her baby. It's a natural thing to do, to want to smooth the way for her Italy-bound son. She's only asking for tips! So does anyone know Turin?

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 02:48 PM

dln: The "baby" is 21 and is looking to travel interntionally. Expecting him to take care of his own planning is the least that should be expected of him. That said, I don't fault the parent for wanting to help. However, this is one of those situations where the parent probably needs to back off and let the kid demonstrate their responsibility. By trying to do the son's work, the parent is likely doing the son a disservice, because the son really needs to know (some of) these things himself. If he isn't able or willing to do the investigation himself, he is not likely going to bother to absorb or understand what his parent finds out, not unlike the travel companion we have all had that dosen't do their own research before the trip and is at a loss upon arrival.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Now come on guys. I usually don't like to be contraversial on any of these posts but give dutyfree a break. Just because she is investigating these things doesn't mean that her son isn't, or that he is incapable of doing these things on his own. Mothers like to know things not only to help out with packing and traveling, etc, but also just for general knowledge.

No where in any of her messages does she express worries that her son won't be ok or that she is terribly afraid of letting him go off to another country. She is merely asking for tips to help.

This isn't a parent counseling site, come on.

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

GEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ! I have been on this forum for many years and did not realize how much it has changed lately. Thank you to all who supported me asking some basic questions about living so he would know what he should pack.I am sorry if I came across as "running his life" but if you have ever had a college student living in your world you would know why I was asking-that and being a guy? My son has traveled extensively overseas but it has always been with our family so he is familiar with other cultures,etc.He has finished two years living outside of the USA at a university so he is self-sufficient but it was concern for only being allowed 2 pieces of luggage for 1 year that got me to ask those questions. My questions were primarily in knowing about Turin (from those who have been there) and from possibly other exchange students who have gone before.Landing in a foreign country without knowing the language and knowing that one really cannot receive "care packages" changes the "wing it attitude" in this picture.I am a great believer in networking on travel and hope that through the years I have helped others on this forum(possibly under my previous name?).I apologize to all and hope that you realize that it was the old Girl Scout in me that wanted him to "BE PREPARED"!
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:57 AM

Dutyfree,

If I had a son who was living in Turin (which has some amazing food) and I were in the US, he would be sending ME the "care packages"!

Regarding the bank thing: in the first instance he just needs his (US) ATM card. He can then open an account at the nearest bank.

Prices are high - think big city US prices. Climate is somewhat similar to NY - very hot in the summer, cold in the winter (although not as bad as NY).

Re: washing - if his apartment building doesn't have a drier, there will probably be a laundromat in the neighbourhood and anyway, he might fand a "lavanderia" where they will do it for him at an acceptable price. You don't see that much laundry drying outside in Turin because as mentioned this doesn't work well in the cold months!

Another thing: if the apartment has a phone, he should shop around for the phone company with the best rates to the US. Here in Switzerland I use Tele2 which is not the best quality but has unbeatable rates to the US. Checked there italian site (www.tele2.it) and was not that impressed: 12.5 EUR cents per minute... He can probably find something cheaper.

Also, he will most probably want to purchase a cell phone. The easiest is a pay-as-you go model, but perhaps a subscription is a better deal, especially if the apartment doesn't have a phone. The 3 mobile networks are:
TIM (www.tim.it)
Vodafone (www.vodafone.it)
WIND (www.wind.it)
Figuring out mobile phone price plans is an interesting way to learn italian...

Hope this helps,

Andre
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Andre-thank you for taking the time to answer some questions for me. Your imput is most helpful.Anyone else?
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:36 AM

Your son is going to study at the University of Torino but he doesn't speak Italian??? This doesn't make any sense. Are the classes at this university in English?? My sister studied at the University of Bologna and she had to speak fluent Italian to be accepted. Have things changed in 15 years that now all the foreign universities are offering classes in English?? Just wondering.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 11:37 AM

dutyfree,

I'm not sure about what questions in particular you are still wondering. Do you need a general overview of Torino? Any more specifics?

It's been about six years since I visited Torino. An American friend lived there for 14 years and I made yearly visits. The main streets of Torino aree quite grand since the king of Italy once lived there. The streets are on a grid which is a bit unusual in Italy. Most visitors are impressed with the portici, a series of wide porticos that cover the sidewalks on the main vias. A system of trams and buses makes it easy to get around for someone without a car. As someone mentioned, the weather is similar to NYC with one exception. The city is surrounded by mountains, so often whatever kind of weather they are having continues for a number of days. The mountains keep the weather from blowing away. My friend spoke often of haze or fog staying too long. The post office has two sections, one for sending mail and another for paying bills. The bill-paying side often has the longer line since postage stamps are available at any corner tabacchi. Most university students will have some English so your son should be able to communicate with fellow students and find out the local information. With the Olympics coming in 2006, the city must be sprucing up, so he will be involved in some of the pre-Olympic hoopla.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 12:31 PM

ThinGorjus, things have changed in the past 15 years in higher education - certainly in the European Union. Most universities are now implementing a Bachelors/Masters program with at least the Masters phase being offered in English since this is the second language that most university students share. Perhaps dutyfree's son is going under the auspices of a US exchange program, but nowadays it's entirely possible to attend an English-speaking division of a foreign university. The
possibilities vary from university to university, and there are growing pains, but a course of study in another country is becoming a viable, feasible
and attractive alternative to a predictable and expensive university study in one's home country.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO