Fashionista

Jul 27th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Fashionista

I know some of you may think I'm being ridiculous, however.... I hate standing out and like to fit in as much as possible (I know -- a camera can be a dead giveaway) but it's my first time to Prague and I was wondering what the fashion is there. I know there are lots of cobblestone streets and high heels would be an out, but what else? I'm going in the middle of August and I think the weather is like high 60's. Any help would be appreciated.
Jul 27th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Are they still doing the 'maroon' hair there ?? That was big for a while.
Jul 27th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Because of it Communist past, the people of Prague are not as fashionable as their big-city counterparts in New York, London, Paris, Munich (everybody's got pop music). You will see lots of poorly cut clothes made of cheap material, and shoddy sandal-like shoes.

Prague really isn't a place where you have to dress up. I have seen diners in some of Pragues best restaurants in shorts and trainers, even baseball caps.

If you really want to fit in, try to look as proletarian as possible. I am not joking.

You will see some very well-dressed people on Pariska Street, which is kind of like the Madison Ave. of Prague. Here you will find shops such as Louis Vuitton and Armani. Trendy fashionistas seem to dine at Pravda, which is located here.

Don't look too rich whilst riding the Metro. You will feel very self-conscious.

Kevin Mitford
Jul 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM

I recently returned from a three week trip to Denmark, Berlin, Munich, Krakow, Budapest, Prague and Vienna and a month-long stay in Germany. I dress like a slightly chubby, frumpy 70-year-old retired English teacher. Ultra-comfortable black SAS shoes, mostly black pants with colorful tops, big ole bag which holds all my goodies.

The result is that I am frequently asked for directions--perhaps twice a month on this trip. Apparently I look like a fairly approachable local.
Jul 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Peg- *love* your style! you are a breath of fresh air!!
Jul 27th, 2006, 11:33 AM

< I think the weather is like high 60' >

Try nearer a hundred (ie above blood temperature). Even the nighttime temps are in the mid-seventies
Jul 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

I just checked the weather forecast for the month ahead and the high is in the low 70's.
Jul 27th, 2006, 12:43 PM

SAnParis,

Do you know how funny your remark was? I like your humor!
Jul 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Sorry, but there are far more French women with maroon hair--maroon hair, a Gitane, and a orange shoes.
Jul 27th, 2006, 05:31 PM

If all the women in Prague are dressed shoddily I'm not so sure it has to do with their Communist past.

I have seen many stunningly beautiful and fashionably dressed women in Kiev and Moscow.
Jul 27th, 2006, 06:42 PM

How many is "many?" Would you say that over 50% of the women in Moscow and Kiev are fashionablly dressed enough to snag a table at Per Se?

I can just see Anna Wintour leaving her post to become editor-in-chief of Kiev Vogue.

Somebody call Suzy Menkes about Kiev. LOL!

Kevin St. Just Mountbaggage Charity Bonham-Carter Mitford.
Jul 27th, 2006, 08:17 PM

Who was talking about snagging a table at Per Se? And who said it was time for Vogue to set up shop in Kiev?

The point is that there exist many (no, I didn't count them) beautiful and fashionably dressed people in Moscow, Kiev and Prague, despite the former Communism in these countries.

Walking the streets of New York, London, or Paris you're likely to see as many not-so-fashionable people as fashionable ones. Last time I checked, neither three of these cities have been under Communist rule.

So what does Communism have to do with it?

Jul 31st, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

I've actually heard some of the most beautiful women reside / visit Prague. From several different sources. Thanks for all of your help everyone in trying to figure out what to pack.....
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:45 AM

Prague is no fashion capital and there is no special Prague style or fashion. It's not like Paris or Milan or anything, just wear what you want and that you think is appropriate and you like.
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:29 PM

Thank you, Christina, for your input. Since you are one of the leading experts on Prague on Fodor's, I hope Jenn will heed your advice.

Yes, Jenn, there are very beautiful women in Praha. But, one can be young and beautiful and get away with wearing a Hefty bag.