Fashion-challenged and going to Italy

Apr 14th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Fashion-challenged and going to Italy

Iím going to Italy for 3 weeks in August (I know, bad time, but have no choice). I want to travel light, and need help planning a color schemeóin the khaki/beige/brown family maybe (slacks, and maybe 1 skirt, 1 pair capris). Iíve read that black is a popular color in Italy, but I hope not in August in the daytime. Thanks!

Apr 14th, 2006, 05:59 AM

At that time of year what you will need above all is clothes that you can rinse out in the sink and let dry overnight. It will be very hot, and you will need fresh blouses.

I would recommend "broomstick" skirts" and gauzy blouses you can wear over a camisole. As for pants, the lighter in weight the better (drawstring is fine).

Black won't feel hot if it's gauzy or crinkle cotton. It will show fewer wrinkles and stains. One spilled glass of wine or drip of pasta sauce or gelato can put a pair of light-colored plain clothing out of commission for the entire three weeks. Very lightweight dark pants matched with patterned blouses hides most mishaps.
Apr 14th, 2006, 06:50 AM

The trick is to have every top go with every bottom. If black isn't 'your' color, use something that is--like khaki and brown. You'll want tops that match and tops that contrast. Right now, Target has short-sleeved t-shirts in lots of colors that work with browns and below $10 too. Take a couple of accessories, cheap necklace or scarf, to give additional variety and dress things up.

No one is paying much attention to what you wear despite the conversations on this board.
Apr 14th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Hi Maire,

In Sept I took summer weight clothes and many in the neutral/beige/khaki colors combined with brights.

My biggest thing was wrinkles! I had planned to ask the hotels to borrow an iron which has not been a problem in the past. It seems there is a law against irons in hotel rooms now. I ended up having to pay for hotel laundry services 2 or 3 times just for the ironing.

Oh, well. An inconvenience, but small cost compared to the whole trip!

Buon viaggio!
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:22 AM

With all of these fashionable flowing skirts that are in the stores i would get a few of those in light colors as well of course as some capris.
Someone mentioned the T.shirts from Target.They are a really good t.shirt with so many colors to choose from.
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Apr 14th, 2006, 09:36 AM

khaki/beige/tan and black is a great combo -- agree about drawstring pants, lightweight pants, loosefitting pants/tops. I have to say even tshirts can feel glued to the body in high heat so personally recommend linen-look blend looser fitting top like a campshirt.
Consider - tan or black skirt, tan/khaki lightweight slacks, black lightweight slacks, camp shirt that could go over a cami or solo, light and preferably not too tight short sleeve top (the current fashionable color, a white, a black), very lightweight card or soft jacket, black strap sandals, black walking shoes, socks, washable undies, very lightweight rain jacket (i.e. land's end $29.95 version that packs into nothing). Have a blast.
Apr 14th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all suggestions so far. I'm almost looking forward to shopping now! Annw, I can picture the outfits you suggested; now I just hope I can find what I need. I checked out the Land's End jacket--very good idea. Thank you.
Apr 14th, 2006, 02:20 PM

go to www.travelsmith.com and take a look. you don't have to buy from them (a tad expensive) but you will get some ideas for styles and fabrics that travel well. lots of crinkly lightweight or wrinkle resisting, pieces that would work beautifully in hot weather.

as far as color i use olive green as my "black".
Apr 14th, 2006, 05:09 PM

I keep getting the cataloga from Boston Proper, they have some cute things you could wear for travel.

www.bostonproper.com
Apr 14th, 2006, 05:22 PM

When I was in Madrid last August for a couple days, I wore some lightweight navy print dresses. I also wore comfortable walking sandals to facilitate touring. I felt very comfortable considering it was approaching or surpassing 100F.
Apr 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Nothing so exotic as a cataloga! how about a catalog.
Apr 14th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Suze, if youíre wearing olive green, what color shoes do you wear--black? I looked at Travelsmith; youíre right, there are some good ideas there. I also enjoyed the Boston Proper catalog, SeaUrchin. If itís that hot in Italy, WillTravel, I may have to find some good air conditioning!
Apr 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Black is a bad choice in the Mediterranian as the black draws the sun to the color. I travel and wear all summer with clothes I live with which means, cotton gauze. linen in simple shapes that you wash and simply dry by shaking out and hang and press the seams by hand when on the hanger. light silk undies dry faster than my favorite cotton. I do the white/beige/cream/khaki/browns in my own life as as wll as summer travel. Color comes from my accessories.
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Maire, in Italy tourists complain about both the heat and humidity in the summer. At least when I was in Madrid, humidity wasn't an issue. I would definitely plan your accommodations so that you can have air conditioning. There's been many posts here about how people found A/C to be near-essential in August in Italy, especially in major cities. On the plus side, I've noticed even budget accommodations often offer A/C, for a few extra Euros per night.
Apr 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM

Buongiorno Maire. Before you get too nuts about this, Barbara in Ct is right. No one else will remember what you wear from one day to the next. Summer in Italy is HOT and the Vatican won't let you in with a mini! But a midi is still too hot. Remember that cotton knit is not really lightweight; gauzy clothes don't need ironing. Italian women wear dresses and believe me they are MUCH cooler than slacks. Two or three khaki skirts and an assortment of tops will serve you well, along with a black dress for those nighttime occasions along with accessory scarves which double as head covering in church. Camis are good under something to take off when you're in the sun. Wear whatever you want but wear a smile on your face and you'll be fine. Have a wonderful trip - oh, I wish I was going along!! Dang - I gotta get back to Italy this year!!
Apr 15th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you WillTravel and Shanna. Yes, air conditioning in the hotel is a must for me. I'm not concerned what other people think; but I do want to be dressed appropriately for the area, and Iíd like to dress somewhat more stylishly than I do at home (jeans, jeans, jeansÖand yes, white tennies-ugh!). And I want to be comfortable (always my first priority). I don't wear dresses/skirts very often, but I bet they are cooler, so Iím going to look for some when I shop. Thanks
Apr 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM

You should note that some churches do not allow bare shoulders do not allow women in in shorts (and possibly pants?). Sometimes they'll have a shawl at the door to lend to cover the shoulders, but I've also seen people turned away because of inappropriate dress.
Apr 16th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Maire,

I currently have a pair of olive green slide sandals that are very comfortable. In the past I've worn tan suede sandals or slip-ons mocs (which I find more neutral than black shoes).
Apr 16th, 2006, 10:45 AM

p.s. I don't wear dresses or skirts either, never! And actually I really hate them in weather that's really hot... sweaty thighs (i'll say no more).

My coolest travel outfit that looks nice is very lightweight capris, worn with a sleeveless blouse with collar and buttons down the front, and sandals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO