Farmhouse in Provence

Search

Farmhouse in Provence

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farmhouse in Provence

Hi, I am contemplating booking this farmhouse in Provence and would like some opinions on the location. There is a little map at the bottom of the page. StuDudley if you read this I would value your opinion of the town as a base for 3 days. We will then head to the Dordogne to meet friends. thanks everyone!!
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Sorry everyone, I'm such a dope! Forgot to put the link in.

http://www.buissonniere-provence.com/

thanks again.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:48 AM

We stayed 5 nights there and very much enjoyed it. The owners (they speak English) took this abandoned, run down farmhouse and, with their own hands over many years, transformed it into something very tasteful and charming.

As to the location, as a farmhouse, it's not in town of course. It's a quick 10 minutes from Vaison. We daytripped from there into the Dentelles, the Haut-Vaulcuse and the Drôme. Lavender fields, perched villages, markets, et al - just beautiful!
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi TuckH, thanks for your lovely response. We will be there in early June, so unless we are very lucky the lavender probably won't be out. Is it too far to daytrip to Aix and Avignon from this location?
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:08 PM

cathies, I have twice stayed in the Nyons area, which is not far from Buisson. As TuckH says, it's a lovely part of France.

I drove from Nyons to Avignon in about an hour and 10 minutes, so I would think you could easily make a day trip from Buisson to Avignon. Aix-en-Provence would be a couple of hours, perhaps less if you zoomed along the autoroute.

If you're thinking about day trips, you could equally go to Pont-du-Gard and Uzès.

Anselm
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM

We went to the market in Nyons - very nice.

With only 3 days, I'd suggest you not drive that far. If your purpose is to visit Aix and/or Avignon, I'd find a spot much further south.

I think you'll see some lavender but not at its peak. Maybe some poppy fields.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the suggestions, I think I will book the farmhouse and probably leave exploring further south for another trip. We will be in Cinque Terra and I'm really stuck about how to get to that part of Provence.Is the best way to catch a train from Genoa to Nice and then hire a car. We will definitely hire a car, I just can't figure out where to pick it up. Thanks in advance for any help, Cathie
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 04:03 AM

As others said, it is a beautiful area.

You are very close to Vaison-la-Romaine and Orange, both places with gorgeous Roman ruins.

I would also recommend a daytrip to Avignon, St. Remy (Les Antiques), Les Beaux and Arles. No problem from Buisson.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 04:28 AM

I think from the CT you should board a train in La Spezia. I also think you should arrive in Avignon (so you can visit that city) and then rent your car. It's a long drive from Nice.

Day trips from L’Ecole Buissonnière could include, amongst my favs, such gems as Séguret, Crestet, Brantes, Le Pöet Laval, Dieulefit. There are many others nearby and there's no need IMO to go as far as St-Rémy altho Les Baux is fantastic.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,thanks for the info. I think we will take that advice and catch the train to Avignon and collect a car there.My husband teaches Ancient History and will love the Roman Ruins, he's leaving this part of the holiday to me to organise, so I think I'll surprise him with that info!We went to Greece a few years ago and he had the best time. Plus I then have my own personal tour guide as he is so knowledgeable. I'm anticipating that we will spend most of that day travelling by the time we get out of Cinque Terre and into Buisson, but not regarding it as a "lost day" as we don't have to rush and can enjoy the countryside on the way. Please tell me if I'm wrong.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Cathy,

as your DH is a roman fan, you should check out the roman theatre in orange. many years ago i was in a choir that performed there and it was really beautiful and the town is also very nice.

unfortunately the orange festival [carmen this year] takes place in July, but the town is stil worth a visit.

regards, ann

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

HI Annhig, what a wonderful experience. When we were in San Gimignano we came across a choir performing an impromptu concert on the steps of the town hall (I think). It is one of my lovliest memories of that trip. We will go and see the theatre for sure.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:23 AM

Hello! For discovering France and the Provence we offer thousand of walks with the Gps datas. Our website is available in English through www.tracegps.com/en/ Make your choice within more than 2300 trails.