Reload this Page >

Farmhouse/B&B in Tuscany - suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 09:26 PM
RC

My wife and I will be spending 4 nights in Tuscany after 3 nights in Florence in October. <BR> <BR>Can anybody recommend a farmhouse/B&B in Tuscany for around $100/night that is accesible for day-driving trips to Umbria (Assisi, Perugia) as well as around Tuscany (Chianti, Sienna, SG, Montepulciano)? <BR>Thank you. <BR>

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 11:56 PM
RC

Allright, allright, I did a search on this board and saw all those posts regarding farmhouses/agriturismo. <BR>It's just that, there's so many individual recommendations - OVERWHELMING! <BR>It's our first time in Tuscany and we just need a good B&B that can serve as a base for our driving daytrips. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:38 AM
Ian

I cannot recommend more highly Fattoria Pagnana ( www.fattoria-pagnana.com ) which is about 10 miles South East of Florence. I have stayed there countless times (my business VERY fortunately brings me to Tuscany often) and the place is wonderful. Large, clean and well equipped Apartments, extremely helpful and competent staff (they answer my e-mails qickly and thoroughly and this has often been confirmed to me by other guests I have met, superb views, well kept gardens etc etc. <BR>An additional plus is that they are very close to the factory outlets of Gucci, Prada, Dolce & Gabbana and the recently opened one Fendi. <BR>Finally they arrange cookery courses around that period linked to the wine harvest.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:54 AM
christina

ciao <BR> <BR>try www.fagiolari.it, a hidden gem. she's in karen browns b&b guide. i have been there as a guest (from giulietta herself) and in this 4 hours i was there, i relaxed better then a day off. <BR> <BR>tanti saluti <BR> <BR>christina <BR> <BR>p.s. fagiolari is at panzano near to greve in chianti.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Diane

We loved CastelBigozzi in Strove, near Monteriggioni. We had a gorgeous double room with a jacuzzi for 200,000 lira/night (off-season internet deal--I don't know what they consider off-season in the autumn). Breakfast is extra at 15,000 lira each. It is well located for daytrips. <BR>Venere.it has it listed under Monteriggioni, we found it through www.chiantiturismo.it (although that might not be the right spelling on the webpage.)

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Diane

Another wonderful find was the Residenza re Porsenna in Chiusi. It is easy to get to (a wonderful place to lose your jeglag) and you can daytrip to Orvieto, Perugia, Montepulciano, Montalcino, Pienza from there. Don't know why I didn't think of it first. 180,000 lira for double with large bath, fluffy towels and robes. (She has larger rooms which go a bit higher.)Includes breakfast. No parking of its own, but this tiny town has several good safe public lots and everything is within walking distance. Call over the phone instead of emailing. Esmeralda Serpilla is the proprietress and she is a delightful lady.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Carol

Try La Sovana at www.karenbrown.com's website. We stopped by to check it out last week, and it's pristine, with a beautiful pool, tennis courts, off the main road (quiet) with efficiencies/apartments in renovated stone farmhouses. Bonus - it's 5 minutes from the autostrada at Chiusi - no getting lost, and great access to both Tuscany and Umbria. <BR>Also, Chiusi has a handy train station.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:50 PM
RC

I just want to thank everybody that responded and sent in their suggestions. We have narrowed it down to the ones in Chiusi and the one in Monteriggioni. <BR>Whatever our final choice becomes, I'll be sure to post the outcome.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Maureen

I know you have mentioned on your last post that you have all the replies that you need regarding your stay in Tuscany however I hope that you will look at one more. We are just back from Italy where we spent the last 2 nights at a wonderful tuscan B&B. It is called Il Colombaio, www.toscanaholiday.com and we had the most delightful stay of a lifetime. I had never been to Italy before and this was always what I had imagined a Tuscan farmhouse to be. For approimately $110.00 (Can) a night we had a wonderful room complete witha stocked minifridge, private bath, great breakfast. This place is an easy drive from Siena and San G as well as all the other Tuscan hill towns we discovered.