Fare Sale: $505 r/t total, ORD-Istanbul

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a heads up there's a great sale on Turkish Air -- October-April. $505 for non-stop, r/t air from Chicago, includes all taxes. Doesn't look as good from other cities but you may want to hunt around. Is 9 nights enough to include a trip to Greece? Is there a discount carrier that goes IST-ATH?
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:14 AM

Wow - great fare!!

If you are interested, I would go ahead and book. You can decide later if it's possible/cost effective (or if even you want to) include a detour to Greece in the middle of your trip.
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a discount carrier, Pegasus which goes Izmir-Athens.
Consider visiting Ephesus, very close to izmir airport and then flying to Athens, after spending a few days in istanbul. Otherwise check Aegean and Sunexpress in addition to THY again.

This is a terrific deal. If you have a miles and smiles or a Lufthansa or any "Alliance" network card (am not sure if US partner is United or American), you can also check the THY website for promotions on using mile points for local flights. If you do not have a card, get one because one transatlantic return flight may give you enough miles for a local flight.

We are using up 76,000 mile points each for IST-ORD in September. Although delaying the visit to October would have meant colder weather, it could have been worth it.

Also, THY has excellent in flight service, food and drinks as well as individual screens with movies and games, etc, although leg space is not much better than other carriers.

Have some Melatonin pills handy to fight jet-lag when you get to istanbul.
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:30 AM

That is unbelievable. I thought that you were mistaken, but I checked and it is not for every day, but is for a substantial # of days.
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Fare is $199 and taxes are $306 = $505. Great deal! Thanks for the heads up.
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

I'm in for October! Now to get to Santorini...

Turkish is doing IST-ATH for $311 R/T. Is that a high price? I was hoping to find something half that price although I guess that might be a tad unrealistic....
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Otherchelebi - thx for the great info. So I could possibly use my *A miles to get to Santorini on Turkish Air?

Also, if flights to Greece are too expensive, I ought to stay in Turkey and visit at least one other city - Ephesus or perhaps Cappadocia. What is your opinion on either destination and any ideas on the most affordable yet reasonable means of travel to either?
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:01 AM

fishee,

Staying in Turkey is recommended if you can see yourself visiting Greece also in the future.

Turkey has some very unique places and a non-touristy hospitality which needs to be experienced.

Cappadocia is definitely a one of a kind place, and October is a good month for it.

All our Fodors friends loved it. there are many recent and not so recent trip reports on the region, from Aduchamp to Ellen and many others, and not one had anything but laudotory posts.

If you like antiquity very much, you can combine Cappadocia with the over 3000 year old Hittite and other sites like Hattusas-Yazilikaya and Alacahoyuk, the empire which fought the Pharoahs of Egypt and signed the famous Kadesh Peace Treaty which appear translated on stone tablets in the Istanbul archeological museum (i think)

Ephesus and the neighboring sites, on the other hand are well preserved classical greek, Karian, Lydian, Byzantine and Roman ruins, which are also well-worth visiting. there are also two major national parks in the area which have large bird and plant (i.e. 60 orchids) varieties including some endemic ones.

They are both (kayseri or Nevsehir airports for Cappadocia, and Izmir airport for Ephesus)vey cheaply reached by local flights. reserving soon will get you possibly less than $100 return flights on pegasus, Sunexpress, Sky, Onur or Atlas airlines, in addition to the no frills arm of THY, Anadolu jet, and THY itself.

Flying to athens and then santorini will be easier from Izmir, however you may lose too much unnecessary time at airports and in the air.

October may not be the best time for Santorini if you are looking for fun and night life. I am not sure if your miles will extend to santorini on local airlines from Athens.

You also have the option of taking a short day cruise from Kusadasi near Ephesus, to Samos island, which is just off the Turkish coast.
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:13 AM

I agree about TA: legroom is as poor as any other carrier - but the amenities can't be beat. Fabulous service. Absolutely friendly. Loads of free movies and games.

Stay in Turkey! I just returned from a two week stay in Istanbul and along the Aegean to Ephesus and then inland to Pamukkale. I hope to get back to Cappadocia in the very near future! I realize that it is worthwhile to make that effort.

The people, the food, the sights, the immense trove of historic effects....what a country! And their efforts to modernize are admirable. Everyone was friendly seemed very happy.
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM

Cabovacation, good to hear that you enjoyed your vacation despite the trepidation about the weather which unfortunately was as bad as you feared.
Old May 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

celebi - yes, I only have santorini on the brain because i'd planned on a trip with miles but I realize that with the cost of flying to ATH and then again to Santorini, this is not an effective use of this great fare.

I've been to IST just briefly five yrs ago and it was wonderful and this is my bf's first visit so we look forward to exploring the area. We are very much into great food, beautiful locales, and also scuba diving but i'm guessing we'll stay out of the water this trip. (We're less interested in nightlife but love good restaurants.)

I took your advice and found great fares IST-IZMIR and IST-Keyseri on Sky and Pegasus. Is it unreasonable to visit both areas and also see Istanbul in just 9 nights? Also, is it more or less safe to take these discount airlines to fly back to IST on day of our flight back to the States? I'd rather avoid the additional back/forth air transfers and fly back into IST the same day if possible. thanks again for the great details, it's been really helpful
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:48 PM

You can actually visit both cappadocia and ephesus by flyng from one to other rather than coming back to istanbul.

Your problem may be the unceratinty about october flight schedules between Kayseri and Izmir. If pegasus and Sky do not give any flights between these two cities, check Sunexpress.

the problem of same day local flight into istanbul and the THY fly out to JFK is two fold:

1. The JFK flight is early in the morning and there may not be a flight to give you the 2.5 hours you will need.

2. Most of the cut-rate airlines usually fly into SAW airport which is at the other end of the city and will mean up to 2 hours transfer time between the two airports and can be very costly by taxi.

3. If you must do a same day connection, you probably should check THY into Istanbul that day, which should allow you to check your luggage through to JFK, saving a great deal of time and put the burden of making sure that you make the connecting flight on the airline. this may be easier if you fly in from Izmir, because there should be early bird flights between these two major cities.

Regarding food, there is a long running thread on istanbul restaurants at trip Advisor. Most of the recommended restaurants are tourist restaurants, however, i and a few others like me have given our recommendation also. You can check there and ask further questions when your trip gets closer.