Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fare question - Paris this winter (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fare-question-paris-this-winter-646289/)

stellamarina Sep 13th, 2006 11:18 AM

Fare question - Paris this winter

Forgive me if this is a question that's a pain in the butt but you all are very flight fare savvy!

I want to fly from SFO to Philly for Christmas (see the in-laws), fly from PHL to Paris for several days over New Year's and then back to SF.

I found a fare on Orbitz for $809 (of course almost $300 in taxes and fees on top of that). These are not direct flights - SF to Vegas, Vegas to Philly and then Philly to Paris through Toronto. This is the lowest I've seen so far and the layovers don't seem horrible. Should I wait it out or jump on this? Sorry for the length and thanks in advance!

Dana

barbmike Sep 13th, 2006 11:28 AM

Jump on This!!!

Michael Sep 13th, 2006 11:31 AM

Try to see if separating the flights will be cheaper. In other words, look for a one way to PHL (US Airways) and then look for a flight from PHL to Paris and back to SFO.

Michael Sep 13th, 2006 11:32 AM

Correction to my previous post: Southwest might have the cheapest flights to PHL. I got one for $119.30 including taxes.

kayd Sep 13th, 2006 11:39 AM

Have you looked at two separate tickets: a one-way cheapie SFO-PHL and an open jaw PHL-CDG-SFO?

stellamarina Sep 13th, 2006 11:50 AM

I am going to check out the one-way and open jaw options now. Thanks for the tips, hopefully something good comes up!

crefloors Sep 13th, 2006 11:58 AM

Don't know if it's still on their website, but Air France WAS showing some fall/winter specials. I hit one for my SFO/CDG, direct flight on Nov second. Round trip, all taxes etc. was 763.00. The cheapest I had seen a couple months before that was a bit over 800.00 and then it went to almost 1,400.00 for a couple of weeks!!!! So you might chech their website and also I signed up for e-mails..fare sale notices.

tcreath Sep 13th, 2006 12:08 PM

It just goes to show how much airfare went up this year....last year I flew from St. Louis to Paris for under $350 per ticket!

Tracy

ira Sep 13th, 2006 12:20 PM

Hi S,

www.kayak.com has RT SFO/PHL for 244 and RT PHL/CDG for 710. Total $954 including taxes.

You might have to see the in-laws again on the way back, however.

SFO/PHL/CDG/SFO is about $1060.

((I))

Flyboy Sep 13th, 2006 12:25 PM

The holiday period from the weekend prior to Christmas weekend until a bit after New Year's is not likely to be representative of a typical "winter fare". I've sometimes found good deals when a person is willing to fly ON a holiday, such as Christmas. But I fear that the days of sub-$400 fares like Tracy got last year from St. Louis may be a thing of the past.

stellamarina Sep 13th, 2006 12:40 PM

I did find a one-way to Philly for $215 and then an open jaw PHL-CDG-SFO for $696 all including taxes. And the times were good too...as soon as my husband gets the go-ahead from work, we'll book something like this. Thanks all!