Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   FAO all foodies visiting London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fao-all-foodies-visiting-london-904548/)

loncall Aug 31st, 2011 04:09 AM

FAO all foodies visiting London

Interesting article in today's Guardian signposting foodies to some great eating opportunities in central London

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...od-marble-arch

Viajero2 Aug 31st, 2011 04:28 AM

London and great food is an oxymoron.

If I was Traveler Foodie London would be at the bottom of my travel list....:-?

jamikins Aug 31st, 2011 04:51 AM

I disagree Viajero2 - that used to be true, but in recent years many fabulous restaurants have opened. You will likely pay a bit more for them, but good food can definitely be had in London!

nona1 Aug 31st, 2011 04:55 AM

Why is that, Viajero? When were you last in London? We have many great restaurants.

Where we do fall down, I admit, is in not having any street-food culture. That's something I enjoy when I travel.

G_Hopper Aug 31st, 2011 05:09 AM

@ Viajero2 - How was London when you visited it in 1955? ;-)

London has some of the best food & dining experiences in the world. In fact on a recent trip to London & Paris I was much happier & Impressed with the food in London than Paris.

DeborahAnn Aug 31st, 2011 06:42 AM

Thanks for the link, I'm saving it for my next trip to London. Can't wait to visit some of the shops noted on the walk. We had many exceptional food experiences in London during the Christmas holiday last year. Deborah

tuscanlifeedit Aug 31st, 2011 07:18 AM

August 09 we had a fabulous eating trip to London. Thanks for the link; I am saving it for London '12.

latedaytraveler Aug 31st, 2011 07:25 AM

Loncall, thanks for the link – very interesting. I am not a “foodie” but I enjoy rummaging around Selfridge’s food hall. Such a variety of offerings. I have not been to Harrod’s (not a shopper either), but I assume Selfridge’s is similar and probably larger. No doubt, London is an epicurean destination of late years, albeit, a bit rich for my blood.

In the piece LOCANDA LOCATELLI rang a bell. Then I remembered that a recent obit of the painter Lucien Freud (1922-2011, yes the son of Sigmund), mentioned that this was one of his favorite restaurants. Small world.

I also learned a new word “entrecote” – an excellent cut of beef served at RELAIS DE VENISE with “chips” also called French fries in certain parts of the world.

God save the queen….

janisj Aug 31st, 2011 08:50 AM

viajero likes to wind folks up.

Knows nothing about food in London or the UK but does know how to get a rise out of people ;)

"<i>that used to be true, . . . </i>" MANY years ago.

Viajero probably doesn't realize there are more than 50 michelin starred restaurants in London.

Viajero2 Aug 31st, 2011 09:40 AM

London and great food is an oxymoron.

If I was Traveler Foodie London would be at the bottom of my travel list.... :-D

Last time in London: Feb 2004--- STILL so true IMHO!! Love, love, love that I seem to have followers on this forum!! Nice!!!

nola77382 Sep 1st, 2011 11:33 AM

Thanks for the link; saved it for our trip in September!

lincasanova Sep 1st, 2011 12:45 PM

thanks for the link.

SimonX Sep 1st, 2011 01:35 PM

Michelin starred French chef declares London food capital of the world:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...french-chef.do

janisj Sep 1st, 2011 05:02 PM

Joel Robuchon probably isn't enough of an expert to convince viajero ;)

"<i>Michelin starred French chef declares London food capital of the world:</i>"

He isn't <i>just</i> a Michelin starred French chef. He has amassed more stars than anyone else.

(I had no idea he was 65 yo)

alane Sep 1st, 2011 05:51 PM

we just came home from 11 days in london. we found the food very good. we did not make reservations or get many recommendations. many nights we walked into a restaurant in the west end, soho, mayfair, shepards market, regent street....and had very good food....only 1 bad meal.... steak and ale pies are great.... we had a tasting menu at an indian tapas restaurant.... turkish food, fish and chips, pasta, .... general rule for me ....if the restaurant has lots of people ....it cant be bad ......
enjoy

avalon Sep 1st, 2011 11:49 PM

Lsteday traveler, if you like Selridges food hall try Partridges even better and always a stop on London trips. there is one at Duke of York Square on King's rd. The only food i have ever found disappointing is in pubs. there are so many relly good to great restaurants in London it is hard to chose sometimes.

Kate Sep 2nd, 2011 12:23 AM

latedaytraveler , Selfridges Food Hall actually isn't that great (my partner works there), Harrods Food Hall would blow your mind in comparison.

Nona1 mentioned a lack of street food. There has been a huge rise in great street food recently, mostly centred on weekly food markets such as Greenwich, Brick Lane (Sundays) and Broadway Market (Saturdays). I think they pass many tourists by as they are off the usual trails, but are certainly worth seeking out. And there's always Borough Market, of course.

SimonX Sep 2nd, 2011 01:01 AM

Not forgetting Camden market. They're definitely keen that no-one goes hungry.

As a bit of an old fuddy-duddy I'm not that keen on the street food concept. These days it seems as though every other person is walking along eating something and often chucking down packaging, chicken legs etc.

And don't get me started on people eating on the underground. That can be really unpleasant. I wish Boris (our wonderful Mayor) had proscribed food on the underground rather than booze. Unless of course it's done like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywLhNwSBizE

latedaytraveler Sep 2nd, 2011 01:57 AM

Avalon & Kate, thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely try Partidges and Harrods if (hopefully when) I return to London. So much to see and do. SimonX, loved that video of a dinner party on the Tube, especially the expressions of passersby….

MushroomMom Sep 2nd, 2011 04:58 AM

Your post could not be more timely. Thanks