family trip to venice, lake como - need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to arrive in Milan and have about 12 days. We are a family of five, youngest girl is 7 and oldest is 15. We definitely want to take the kids to Venice and we are also thinking of going to Lake Como. Would it be worthwhile to also spend a few days in Milan? My 13 and 15 year olds are great travellers and my 7 year old is getting better but she is still just 7. WE have travelled all over with them and we will actually be in Turkey prior to Italy. Any suggestions for an itinery, places to stay that are kid friendly and reasonably priced? <BR><BR>I used this board to plan our trip last year to Australia and it was such a success. I got so much wonderful advise so I'm looking forward to hearing all your thoughts!!! Thanks, Sandy
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:44 PM

Having been to Italy twice, here are my suggestions for travel in the area you cited. (I have a 13 yr old daughter who has been overseas but not to Italy yet.) I don't believe Milan is an overly interesting city for kids or adults, for that matter. I'd give it one day - tops. You may be able to find some type of modeling show. Re: Venice,I think they'd love it! The Grand Canal, various boat rides, walks along the canals, open markets, etc. are must-sees! I'd plan for a 3-day/2 nite trip. Also, consider Verona (between Milan and Venice) for an overniter - it has small scale, ancient coliseum, open market square, old churches, etc.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:33 PM

I'd skip Milan and head straight to the Cinque Terre with chilren that age. They would love the area and all the hiking opportunities it has to offer. You could easily spend 2-3 days in the Cinque Terre. Lucca and Pisa are near the Cinque Terre and worth a stop. Venice is such an exciting city to visit and the children would love it too. As for Lake Como, it could be a nice place to end your trip before flying home from Milan. It is both relaxing and beautiful.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:08 AM

I'd also recommend skipping Milan, and heading straight for Venice. You don't say when you're going, but we were there last summer, and opted to stay out in the Lido at a lovely small hotel called Albergo Quattro Fontane. Two very good-sized rooms ran just under $500 with breakfast. The hotel is a fifteen minute walk from the vaporetto stop for St. Marks Square in Venice, and only a few minutes walk from the beach on the Lido, which we availed ourselves of at the end of each sightseeing day. From Venice, we headed to the Lake district, and stayed in Stresa, but from what I've heard Maggiore and Orta or Garda are more spectacular.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:48 AM

When are you going to be there? The Lido might well be a good option if the kids like a beach resort atmosphere. They would probably enjoy a daily break from museums, churches, shops, exploring neat narrow streets, etc.--stuff that adults go for more. Otherwise, I highly recommend staying in historical Venice if at all possible.<BR><BR>We're well beyond the child-rearing stage, but you should be able to find a couple of rooms in a very nice place for $300 or so. Much less than that if you don't mind a basic, clean place to sleep. Just keep in mind that the less expensive places sell out quickly.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:01 AM

Rootcher, I went with my sister's family who had 3 daughters right in your range. Their favorite destination was Sirmione, at Garda, and their second favorite was Venice. <BR><BR>I wouldn't spend 3 days in Milan but I would go there. The Duomo is spectacular and I think your kids would enjoy seeing Italian city life at it's best. I think people assume kids need Disney type entertainment but they are capable of so much more.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your responses. Grasshopper, we don't do the disney type vacations in Europe. In Australia, we spent a week in Tasmania and did tons of hiking with the kids. They were great.<BR><BR>I am looking into the Cinque Terre area. I'll keep you posted about what I decide. Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Okay, now I am confused. Cinque Terre sounds beautiful but we definitely want to do Lake Como and Venice. Verona is right in the middle so would be a good place to stop for an afternoon or day. However, Cinque Terre seems further out of the way from Venice. If I did Cinque Terre when I arrive, then head to Venice, Verona and end with Lake Como (we have an afternoon flight home so we could go the airport from there)do you think it will be too much??? Or, does it sound realistic. Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:39 AM

Any thoughts about driving up into the Swiss Alps? We did a family trip that went like this---into Milan, then up to Lake Como, from there we went to Pontresina in Switzerland--not a bad drive, and lots to do for an active family--hiking, biking, rafting, etc. Down from Switzerland to Lake Garda--Riva Del Garda in particular. I htink Lake Garda is better for a family trip than Lake Como, IMHO, especially of one likes to do sporty, active stuff. The northern end of Lake Garda is very scenic, and has a lot of activity going on! From there, we went to Venice--what kid could not love that??<BR>From Venice, back to Milan--- we skipped Milan totally besides the airport!!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Rootcher, I hope you didn't think I was implying that you do Disney type vacations. It sounds like you take great family trips.<BR><BR>I would agree that Garda would be a better family place. And it has the wonderful ruins of the Baths of Catullus. It's a fun place to take a boat trip to see some of the other towns on the lake also.<BR><BR>Cinque Terre is beautiful but I'm not sure it would be worth the trek all the way from Venice when the lakes have so much to offer.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:52 AM

Do come to Milano. Despite what several other superficial (I must day it) travellers to Milano said, Milano has lots to offer to kids of that age. In particular you shoudl check out Muweso della Scienza (science museum) where your kids will be able tto play and experiment with machines that illustrate the laws of pshysics and working models of Leonardo Da Vinci mahcines.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:22 AM

Go to www.gardaland.it
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Cinque Terre sounds so wonderful. Would it be crazy to try to squeeze it in. We would do something like, arrive in Milan, head to Cinque Terre, spend a few days there and then do a long drive to Venice. Three days there, stop in Verona and head to Lake Como maybe stopping at Lak3e Garda for a boat trip and to see Sirmione. Leave Lake Como for Milan to head home. Sound too adventurous? Thanks, Sandy
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I think your most recently stated itinerary is too much, especially after however-many-days in Turkey. I'd limit it to three or four cities in 12 days. Cinque Terre takes time to get to and from, so I'd leave it for another trip. <BR><BR>Milan (it's worth a full day), Verona, Venice and one of the lakes will have you moving around quite enough.