Family trip to Switzerland and Lake Como

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is planning a trip to Switzerland and Lake Como next summer. Travel dates are set 4 July to 18 July. Ideally we'd like to split the time more or less equally between the two. We'd like to home base in each place, so we aren't moving around a lot. We'd like a relaxed pace, but would also be interested in day-trips. We are not planning on renting a car, so easy access to trains is key. We are five adults and three children. Ideally we'd love to rent a house/villa in each place that would accommodate all of us together.

*Where in Switzerland would you advise? We'd like to stay in a pretty town with easy transport access, that might also allow us to see southern Germany (is that too much?).
*We were thinking Lake Como, and from research so far Varenna and Bellagio look great. Where do you suggest? We're open to other ideas, but there again looking for a town with good transport access and a town with good restaurants, etc.
*I've done some online shopping for a place, in both locations. I'm having trouble finding much in the way of house/villa rentals. We need something that's four or so bedrooms that sleeps 8. I've shopped at the usual (vrbo, holiday-lettings, vacation rentals, etc.). Any other suggestions I might not have seen on my Google search? Something clean, charming and well located is the goal, and we're not high rollers, so high end mega-villas are not feasible.

Thanks for any tips!
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
In Switzerland, I would recommend Grindelwald as yur base. Ther is so much to do in the area. Look at www.drawbridgetoeurope.com for rentals. They were very responsive and easy to work with-and yo pay them in US$.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Hi samtraveler,

Yes, the mountain villages of the Berner Oberland are a great option for first-time visitors to Switzerland -- because they offer stunning scenery along with easy transport in & around, lots of hotels and restaurants, and lots of folks who speak English. However, as nice as Grindelwald is, I really prefer the car-free villages of Wengen or Mürren to get the whole special Swiss experience. These villages are a little higher than Grindelwald, and they have a lot fewer tourists than Grindelwald does (you'll see the big tour busses stop in Grindelwald and offload their passengers).

But unfortunately, Germany is just too far for such a short trip. It will take you about six-eight hours for the trip in each direction. I do think that two countries in two weeks would be just fine.

You can get all the train schedules and fares at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

You can very easily find apartments at the town's own website. Just look for "accommodations" and then of course "apartments." Most Swiss towns have a tourist site that's easy to find, usually something like www.townname.ch. For instance, you can start at these:

www.wengen.ch
www.wengen.com
www.muerren.ch

You can also find apartments at the central Swiss tourist site,

www.myswitzerland.com

Just go to the Accommodations pages and do a search for your dates in the towns/areas you'd like. You should find lots of options.

Let us know as your plans develop and your questions pop up!

s
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 02:41 PM

ps,

I just played with a search for 11-18 July in Wengen. Here's a link to a 5-bedroom, 10-bed, 2-bathroom apartment in Wengen:

http://fewo.myswitzerland.com/Bernes...ent/056519.htm

Have fun!

s
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies on the Swiss end of our trip. Staying down in Gimmewald or Wengen is an appealing option. I wonder about accessibility to other areas of Switzerland. I'm unclear on just how invovled it would be to get around other areas of Switzerland from this area. I guess I thought we might stay somewhere like Lucerne or something, central, good rail service, etc. Thanks for the web links. Wengen and environs does look nice. Would there be enough in town there for a week's worth of restaurants, etc.? Charming and quaint are appealing, but not so small that a week will feel too long. We're also mulling over the possibility of adding a third destination, maybe a few days in southern Germany, then Switzerland, then Lake Como, especially if day-trips to anywhere in southern Germany is out of the question from Switzerland.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 09:33 AM

If you are looking to rent a house/villa, you are limiting yourself if you look only in Varenna and Bellagio.
There are so many towns on Lake Como, many of which you may have never heard of and where there are villas to rent. As long as there is ferry service to that particular place, you are set...

Take a look here:

http://www.bellacomo.com/properties/...s.aspx?type=vp
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

We are certainly open to other suggestions for Lake Como. Varenna and Bellagio came to mind as I've read so much about how ideal they both are in terms of accesibility, setting and amenities (restaurants, etc.). What other towns might you suggest? Some of these villas you sent me to look great!
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 12:15 PM

You know what--I only spent four days on the Lake so might not be the best person to ask. But when I was planning my trip, I considered only 3 towns--those two and Menaggio. After visiting the area, I realize that there are many more towns that no one here talks about. Those three are the most famous, and they have the most tourists.

But I think if I were renting a place, I would consider Tremezzo because there are several very good restaurants there and there is good transportation by ferry to all of the other places. Another town that we really liked was Cernobbio. Also Lenno. And, south of Bellagio, the Blevio area..

But there are also many others, including ones with far fewer tourists. Think about choosing a few villas and then maybe come back with your choices and I, and others who know the area even better, will try to help you out..

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM

We have just returned fronm a trip which included a couple of nights in Lauterbrunnen which we found to be a great base for the Berner oberland but also easy to get to Interlaken and Lucerne for day trips. The hiking trails and views are amazing and there are numerous activities available in the area. The train system in switzerland is incredibly efficient so had no problems getting about.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:17 AM

Have you considered Lago di Garda instead of Lago di Como? It offers a much wider variety of things to do. Neither lake is good for trains (or restuarants), but Garda is marginally better, and the boat connections take you to places that are more distinctly different. You also might find it easier there to find group accommodations. Check out Bardolino and areas in the south of lake for access to the trains.

In general, you might consider a spot in Italy that is more of a contrast to Switzerland and better connected to trains, and with better food possibilities (if you like seafood). In July, Coastal Liguria, with forays into France might work for you (look around Bordighera) or Liguria near Cinque Terre, on the train line.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

I have looked at so many villas the past few days that my head is spinning! So far nothing has popped out as a possibility. Most say something about needing a car, while others don't have the right room configuration, etc. I'm just not finding what will work. We don't want to drive and we want to be in the center of town, so we can walk to dinner, etc. Tremezzo sounds like it's worth another villa search. Now that we're seeing how limited villa offerings are, we'd also be open to apartments, either one large one or a couple medium sized units.

We're pretty set on the Lakes in Italy. For some in our party this is a fifth trip to Italy, and this is the place everyone on board wants to visit most. But I have to admit coast Liguria sounds lovely!

Thanks for the suggestion on Lauterbrunnen. Sounds handy enough, and is it also a place you enjoyed apart from it's location?
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM

On Lake Como and considering the need for transportation, the best options are Bellagio, Varenna and Menaggio.

Here is one possibility in Varenna
http://www.olivedo.it/eng/index.html
has an adjacent house/B&B with 5 bedrooms. La Limonta in Bellagio is a grouping of apartments which might do for you.

For other towns, if you study the boat service schedule, you will see a schedule for 'mid-lake boat service' this runs every hour and is in addition to the boats that run the full length of the lake. This adds Lenno, Tremezzo, Bellano, and the Villa Carlotta stop to the list of possibilities.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM

Look at these 2 apts. we are considering for next Sep.
www.bellagioanticopozzo.eu
www.residencelulvio.it along with the La Limonera units.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM

I am not sure that I agree that those are the best options. If there is a boat every hour to, let's say, Tremezzo/Cadennabia why would a tourist need more than that?

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM

We just returned from five nights in Lake Como (with an additional two nights in the Cinque Terre). We stayed in Bellagio. It is a lovely little town, as is Varenna, but there is not a lot to do in either place. I am normally a Slow Travel advocate, but I think seeing three places in two weeks is not unreasonable when you're going to locales that are more scenic than site-oriented (i.e., if you were comtemplating a week in Rome, I wouldn't dream of telling you to try to fit in another stop). I'm not sure of the ages of your family members or what the goal of your trip is; those factors could affect my advice.

On our last trip it was just my husband and me (we're in our 40's) and we were mainly looking for relaxation in a beautiful place. That is certainly easy to fulfill in Lake Como! But we enjoyed the hiking so much in the Cinque Terre that were I planning the trip again, I'd add another day or two there and take away a night in Lake Como.

I posted my trip report on these boards. If you click on my name, it should take you to my other posts and you can see it there.

Have a wonderful trip and happy planning!
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Bob, thanks for the links. The Pozzo apartments might really work for us. We could rent an entire floor and spread out. Have you heard any more about this place? I think the second place, Ulvio, won't work because it looks like the apartmetns, while large, are more like big studios, without separate bedrooms. Anyway, great suggestions! Thanks!

Flymeaway, you know we had thought about adding a third destination to this trip. We are looking for some relaxation, but seeing something else might be nice too. Some of us have already been to the CT, and while it would be great to return, won't the CT be horribly hot and crowded that time of year? I'm sure the Lakes are at peak season then as well, and maybe I'm in error thinking it won't be as hot as other parts of Italy? Maybe we would shave a day or two off each of Italy and Switzerland and spend that time in southern Germany or maybe even Paris (for one in our group this is a first time Europe trip!). We're beginning the trip in London (where we live). Thanks again for the input!
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

This place http://www.ilpoggiodibellagio.it/principale.php also looks nice, but don't think it's central enough.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:25 AM

I think that is a lovely area of Bellagio, beautiful and out of the tourist fray. There is an excellent restaurant very close to that location.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:37 AM

"Where in Switzerland would you advise? We'd like to stay in a pretty town with easy transport access, that might also allow us to see southern Germany (is that too much?). "

You can try Appenzell, very easy access to southern Germany across Lake Constance (Bodensee). Admittedly villages are not as pretty/picturesque as B.O but there are enough things to do/see. Mostly green pastures, some excellent hiking trails/cable cars/mountain trains, don't miss Mainau island with amazing floral gardens throughout the island. German side has pretty medieval villages, some wineries.

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

How long do you think it would take to walk from the Il Poggio to the heart of Bellagio?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -