Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Family trip in July..which arondissement ?

Old Oct 6th, 2020, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi !

we are planing a july trip in France. 6 nights in Paris is our plan. What would be an ideal arondissment for a family ? We want to walk, visit the obvious Paris stuff (first time there for the kids, 9 ans 13 years old).

Hotel or AIrbnb (looking to get AC) ?

Budget of 200 euro max per night.

Thanks !
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 07:01 AM

Received 47 Likes on 8 Posts
I would usually recommend :
  • the 3rd / 4th in the "Marais", it is very centrally located and close to the Louvre, Notre Dame, Place des Vosges, Hotel de Ville and other very nice areas. The Marais has a lot of nice little restaurants and boutiques which are very nice to explore, it is however very busy and touristy.
  • the 5th / 6th in the Latin Quarter, also very central and close to Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Pantheon and more. It is a very clean a quite posh area, also relatively lively like the Marais, however there are less tourists and lots of students due to the many famous universities and schools.
  • the 9th, personnally my favorite arrondissements, you can find the Opera Garnier, Madeleine, lots of big department stores such as the Galeries Lafayettes and to the North the red light district "Pigalle". It is however further from the big tourists attractions and thus a lot quieter (except for the area around Opera and the Galeries), but has many nice restaurants and boutiques.
Those are my personal favourites, but all arrodissements in Paris have their own charm
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 07:53 AM

I would also recommend the 5th, 6th and the Marais for convenience to attractions. With 6 nights and a family, I'd be inclined to rent an apartment especially one with a balcony for enjoying the views over Paris rooftops. I now use only VRBO for all my apartment rentals as I prefer not to live among owner's personal items. The VRBO search filters are excellent too. I have never had a problem with any VRBO rental.
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 12:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I posted a link yesterday to this post but can't see it now. It was a link to an Airbnb apartment that was legal and 204.00 a night. Just look for the registration number and put Aircon in filters with number of beds you need.
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks for those answers, we made a reservation for an appartment with air con (2 splits in the appartment, it should work ok), The airbnb (and yes it does have a registration number) is on Mandar street in the 2nd arrondissement, hope it will be ok....

Last edited by tostaky; Oct 11th, 2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 03:41 PM

That sounds wonderful, I love Rue Monterguiel and our last apartment there was on Rue Marie Stuart with a nice passageway with shops. A nice laundromat on Rue Marie Stuart if you want to wash and dry quickly. We had a washing machine but limited on hours we were allowed to use due to noise. Have fun planning.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 03:31 AM

Does that apartment have a little sleeping loft? I like it and a great location. You are very close to E. Dehillerin, my fav cooking shop.