family ski trip

Sep 8th, 2001, 01:17 AM
Pat

family ski trip

I'm looking for a spot in Europe for a family ski trip some time between Dec. 15 and Jan. 8. We are two intermediate adult skiiers, one 7 year old beginner, and an 11 year old intermediate snowboarder. So, don't really need those expert slopes, but a family-friend town with some options for activities besides skiing would be great. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sep 8th, 2001, 11:22 AM
s

Pat,
I'm mainly topping for others to make suggestions. I can only propose Grindelwald in Switzerland, but I don't think the snow will be great that early (if only you could move the trip one month later . . . ). Grindelwald offers sledding & alpine walks as well as convenient excursions to Interlaken and Lucerne as family outings. I also recommend Grindelwald because it's better if you decide to rent a car (Muerren and Wengen are car-free villages), which would probably be cheaper versus four folks taking the train.

Skiing at Grindelwald is great for intermediates! The area around First is almost heaven, but you can also get to the Kleine Scheidegg and Mannlichen areas easily from Grindelwald. There is also a children's ski area called "Bodmi" for your little beginner. Check ou the village's web site at www.grindelwald.ch. E-mail me if you have more questions.

s

Sep 8th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Allison

Hi...we're planning on going to LECH, AUstria January 18...we did some research and found that the snow there is plentiful, more than Kitzbuhel, Austria, where we were last year and the snow wasn't that great...ANd if you're intermediate skiers in the states, you're going to be very happy on the beginner/ and some intermediate runs in Europe...they're MUCH harder slopes than we have. The kids will have fun in the classes..they're not too expensive and espcially in Austria, you have a lot of people from England, so their classes would probably be mostly filled with English speaking kids..Make sure whatever ski resort you go to, they allow boarders. I would also try and put your trip in the later part of those dates, not in December...too risky for not enough snow.

Sep 9th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Ann

Pat, the others who posted are giving you good advice - snow in the Alps in December is a toss-up unless you go to a glacier. So you will want to find a place with lots to do in case the skiing doesn't pan out. Try Garmisch, which has glacier skiing and plenty of other activities as well. It's a family-friendly town and would come in second only to the Tyrol for good, family-trip intermediate skiing for Americans. Good luck!

Search this Thread