Family Restaurants in the Reykjavik and Keflavik Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that I will get at least one hotdog while I am in Reykjavik and that I have no intention of trying the rotten shark.

Other than that I have no idea what we will do for food, although I have no doubt we will find some.

I am hoping that some in this community can direct me to family restaurants were we can have good meals with our young daughters.

Cost is not the primary factor. Quality of food and a family friendly atmosphere are what matters most.

I look forward to your replies.
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:33 AM

We had a lovely lunch at Humarhusid (The Lobster House) on Amtmannsstíg 1. It is a very elegant restaurant, the dishes are delicious, the service is impeccable and the waiters know very well their job. The walls are nice decorated with a lot of pictures. The menu is diverse including seafood, vegetarian and meat courses.
The restaurant is located in an old, historic building which was once home of a famous poet and Iceland's first prime minister. It is very central located, but on a small alley parallel with a main street. We had to ask how to reach it.

http://www.humarhusid.is/Default.asp?Page=169
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:13 AM

I would suggest Rossopomodoro for Italian. And the Bistro in the Hilton Hotel. There is also an exceptional restaurant in the Hilton, Vox, but it might be a little too formal for kids.
I didn't eat in it but there is a restaurant at the Perlan which would be a fun place because of the location and views.
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:15 AM

I forgot to mention that if you visit the Museum of Natural History there is a very nice little cafe in it.
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:58 AM

A couple of other options you might like to try which are definitely family friendly (I think pretty much everywhere is in Reykjavik) are Vegamot and Cafe Paris.

Both very different, Vegamot is more burgers and sandwiches and Cafe Paris a bit more of a 'proper' restaurant, but there should be something on the menus at both places for all the family.

I also enjoyed the restaurant at Hotel 101, both from a design and people watching perspective and as it's in a hotel, they'll have absolutely no problem with kids.

I'm just waiting for my youngest to be old enough that we won't have to worry about bottles/sterilisers etc. so we can head back to Iceland.