Family of 5 - Hotel Accomodations

Jan 16th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Family of 5 - Hotel Accomodations

Hi,
As a family, we have never travelled to Venice together as one group. My question, does anyone know of a very nice, mid-range hotel that would accomodate our entire family - college and high school age kids - in one room or suite. Many of the places I have checked out will require two rooms to accomodate us. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jan 16th, 2009, 07:31 AM

I don't have a hotel to suggest, but have you considered an apartment instead of a hotel? An apartment would provide more room for hanging out and relaxing as well as enough bathrooms.
How many nights will you be in Venice?
Jan 16th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately not many, just 4.
Jan 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Six of us (DH and I, grown daughter and son, 2 pre-teen grandsons) went to London and Paris together 2 years ago (one week each place). We had a hotel in London and an apartment in Paris.

I would really, strongly recommend that, if you really want to use a hotel, you rent two rooms. European hotel rooms are small to begin with (although we did have a nice size room in Venice) and 5 of you--including teenagers--using one bathroom could cost you a lot of prep time each day and night,not to mention wet towels, soap, using one blow dryer...

We rented two hotel rooms in London and it worked out beautifully--about the cost of one suite (which you would need for 5), double the bathrooms, double the beds, double the TVs, double the space--and we weren't "on top" of each other all the time.
Jan 16th, 2009, 08:34 AM

We rented an apartment for our family of 4 in Venice. It was fantastic. In addition to having a kitchen, two bedrooms and a large living room, we had a washing machine. We were only there for a few nights also. Not all apartment agencies require a 7-day stay.
Jan 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM

I can recommend two very nice, simple one-star hotels which might be able to accomodate you: The Hotel Riva and the Casa Rezzonico.
Jan 16th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Ten years ago, we stayed in a lovely hotel down a side street off the Grand Canal. It's called (or was) the Best Western Bisanzio. We didn't stay in the main part of the hotel, though....they actually had some "apartments" around the corner (not really apartments...no cooking facilities). In the one we had, you entered on the ground floor, which had a sofa and table, and I think bunk beds (a little fuzzy on that), and a bathroom. Upstairs there was a loft with a queen size bed, and another bathroom. Very Italian design. Close to everything. We were 4....not sure if they have accommodations for 5.
Jan 16th, 2009, 08:45 AM

We have had good luck with this agnecy and they do have properties you can get for 3 or 4 nights.

www.veniceapartments.org

this one also gets good reviews:

www.viewsonvenice.com

Let me strongly suggest you try an apartment especially with the number of people you have. We have always enjoyed the experience much more than a hotel. You'll have a kitchen, usually a table for gatherings and most of the time a washer for laundry.

We have found the prices to be eithere a bit cheaper or about the same as two small hotel rooms.

We stayed in this apartment in Dorsaduro in Sept 2007. there were five of us as well. two couple and my dad and had a lowly experience.

http://www.veniceapartments.org/html/partecipazio.html
Jan 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM
mjs

You will need two rooms or an apartment for what will be considered 5 adults. It is not easy to find a room in a hotel in Europe to hold 4. Have never seen one room for
5 although someone may know of some odd room in a hotel somewhere in Venice that will do just that.
Jan 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM

We just stayed at the Palazzo Guardi and can highly recommend it. They have an apartment in the same building as the hotel. The location at the Academia Museum is excellent and prices are surprisingly low, at least off season.
Jan 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM

There's no way in heck I would ever stay in ONE hotel room with that many people! And one bathroom?? EEEEKKKK - even in a large American sized room, I'd never do it.

Like others here, get at least two rooms or an apartment. I've never been to Venice so cannot help there, but do yourselves a favor and get more space.

PS: I am looking at 3 BR 2 Bath apartments when my husband and I join our daughter in England - we want to make sure we still love each other at the end of the trip!
Jan 16th, 2009, 03:11 PM

I'm with the majority. When we traveled with our tween/teen daughters we always got 2 rooms. No way we were sharing one bath with the 2 of them - it would have taken forever to get going in the morning. Plus - you do need some time apart if you want to be still speaking at the end of the trip.