Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Family of 5 - Anyone with Hotel/B&B/Rental Recommendations?

Old Dec 26th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) and my most challenging aspect in coordinating this upcoming trip (June 19th) is finding accommodations. I'm sure some of you have tackled this problem and am hopeful you can share suggested places. Our goal is to find either a hotel offering a family room that can accommodate. We also love B&B's so finding one that can fit us would be a top solution too. Rentals through VRBO, Airbnb, and others are fine but lower on our desired list unless it's a top location or property. As far as the budget is concerned trying to be in the $150-$400 per night range and know that some locations will be more and some less. We are open to beach, country, or city locations depending on city/area--if country, would love agriturism as the kids would get a kick out of animals on a farm (ie in Basque region). Really, I'm just hoping anyone reading this might know some special places they've experienced in the past that can have room for a family of 5.

Places that we're considering are listed below and we'll probably manipulate our trip based on what we can find:
1. Basque Region
2. Andalucia Region
3. Madrid
4. Toledo

Thanks!
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 06:31 AM
twk

I'm not sure if I would want to go to Andalusia in June, but if that's definitely on your itinerary, check out the apartment we rented in Sevilla: Apartment at Plaza Alfaro

I've rented apartments and houses in a variety of places, but this was probably my all time favorite. I posted some pictures of the building and neighborhood on my trip report--the web site pictures of the apartment interior are accurate. The location is excellent, and the apartment is top notch. We didn't have to use the sofa bed in the living room, but if you're trying to find accommodations for five on a budget, you're probably going to have to rely on sofa beds or cots for the 3rd kid in most places.
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 08:22 AM

I agree with twk, are you aware what the average high temp in Andalucia is in mid-June? Probably about 90. Now I know many people live that way, but I wouldn't choose to do that.

Madrid is hot in summer, also, but not quite as bad as Seville in June, so should be okay, more like maybe 85 high. Same for Toledo, of course.
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! Your rental in Sevilla looks great and would be ideal. Based on all the feedback we're going to try to plan another trip over an upcoming winter or spring break to visit Andalucia. Anyone else with any 5-person family suggestions in Madrid and the Basque region? Thanks.
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 10:41 PM

Jeremy--there's a reason I'm 5 Alive. It's hard to find lodgings for a family of 5. I recommend you rethink both Airbnb and booking.com for apartments. They really range in quality. Also consider Homeaway. But in some cases, the housecleaning and other fees can really increase the price.
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 09:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at Travel Planning for the Sophisticated Traveler for lots of information around Spain with especially good focus on the Basque region.