Family of 5

Old Feb 1st, 2010, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family of 5

I purchased tickets this weekend now I'm ready to start scheduling. Please tell me what things to consider while searching for flat in Paris. Will rent in Paris and try to use points in London like suggested. So, what should I consider, what should be off limits, can one negotiate the listed price? thank you
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM

No one can keep you from trying to negotiate the listed price, but i would be very surprised if any agency or individual owner would lower the price on Feb. 1 for a June rental in Paris. Many places book up months ahead, and June is high season.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 02:09 PM

For a apartment rental in Paris, I would start by 1st consuming as much info as you can from the various online rental agencies, such as www.parisattitude.com, www.vbro.com, and /www.homeaway.com (just to name a few). Regarding price, I would be shocked if any gave ground on the advertised price, but it never hurts to ask. Another option might be to have some flexibility regarding location. But, start by digging into those sites (and others) to find out what the market has to offer. My one suggestion - look for a rental that has a laundry machine.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 02:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Rates are seldom negotiable -- except sometimes when one is renting for an extended period.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM

Another suggestion: be aware that the French number their floors differently from the way we in US do; eg, first floor is one flight up, so if you're in a building w/o an elevator, think about how many flights of stairs you'd be willing to climb.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 03:33 PM
cw

You should take a look at the Paris apartment thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ent-thread.cfm

June is a busy time so I wouldn't delay. We rented an apartment in September for a June occupancy one year.

Also the link above should be www.vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owners). Also look at apartment reviews on www.slowtrav.com.

When you know your budget and have some possibilities you can search or ask if anyone has any experience with them or the agency.