Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Family of 4-one room or two at a parador?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The four of us (2 girls aged 8 and 11) will be coming to Madrid and Castile & Leon in early April. We want to visit Segovia and Salamanca for 5 nights before heading into Madrid for a week's stay at our rental apartment. We really want at least one night in a parador. We have combed www.parador.es thoroughly and it appears that no more than 3 people are allowed in a room, regardless of its size. Is it possible (or even realistic) for the 4 of us to stay in one room? We are looking at La Granja, Segovia, Avila, Lerma or Tordesillas as possibilities. We might split into 2 rooms but that will be close to, if not more than, 200 euros/night, which is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

In addition, we would love any info on hotels that are more suite-like and would be better suited for our family. Ideally we're looking for something with some Spanish charm and not anything corporate. Maribel, we have found your Segovia info extremely valuable, and we are hoping to find a way to spend a night at the "stork" hotel in Pedraza. Many thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 03:19 PM

You won't find too many hotels that offer rooms for four and no you cannot have 4 people in a room that is for 3.

I learned this when starting to plan our first European trip in 2006. We ended up renting apts in Lisbon, Paris and a cottage on a working farm in England. Not only was it a wonderful experience to "live more like a local" but it ended up being a lot cheaper than getting two rooms and we had much more room to spread out. In addition we had washer/dryer combos and kitchens which helped save money on eating out. So my advice would definitely be to research some apts. Start with VRBO; that is how I've found mine (including the ones I'm renting this June in Venice, Rome, and Florence.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM

Completely understand the inclination for a Parador stay.

I would STRONGLY recommend you look into the hotel voucher system promoted by bancotel.com. This is a voucher system("talones"; a voucher book is a "talonario&quot geared to weekday stays in 4 and 5 stars hotels and paradores at much reduced rates. You can order the vouchers and then make the reservations from the list of hotels they have, which like I said before, includes outstanding venues all over Spain. When you call the hotel you need to tell them you will be using a voucher and they will make the reservation at the voucher rate. A number of posters have discussed this voucher system on this forum; Maribel has also discussed it quite a bit. This one is worth looking into.

I would also advice to email/call the Parador(s) and ask about shared rooms. I am sure they have encountered this request before.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM

You need to contact them to find out exactly what bed configurations they have. It sounds like one double bed and a roll-away for the third person. Obviously this won;t work for 4 people.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 05:17 PM

alamedadan,
I see that you've done extensive homework at www.parador.es and I'm sure you've combed through the rates for each of the Paradors you have in mind.

But just an update for the archives regarding the voucher system-
I've written quite a bit about these in the past, but in the last year or so, I've not found those great deals on Bancotel, Talonotel, Halcon Vaijes, that I used to find, and particularly for the Paradors.

The Parador system has been very aggressive in its discounts as of late. Its own online pricing in '09 is highly competitive, particularly from Sunday to Thursday, which makes it imuch more advantageous to book the Parador's own Tarifa Unica rate (special, highly discounted web rate) online than to use the bancotel or other coupons.

These Tarifa Unica rates aren't usually available on weekends and not available at the most popular Paradors in high season (Aiguablava, Cangas de Onís, Baiona) and never at the Parador in Granada or Hostal de los Reyes Católicos in Santiago de Compotela but neither are the voucher coupons.

But if a Tarifa Unica rate isn't available there is always the 5 night coupon plan, which is equal in discount to a voucher, and usually more readily available.

In the past year we've had several Parador stays and taken advantage of some incredible off season rates, from 60 to 90 euros, booked at www.parador.es, We have another coming up shortly in Lerma.
More and more Spain hotels are giving these very advantageous online rates rather than going through the hassle of the coupon system, whether it be Bancotel, Talonotel, Halcón Viajes,etc.

Now, about your 4 to a room question-

The only way to answer that question accurately is for you to email each Parador and ask.
Each parador has its own policy regarding extra beds (camas supletorias) and the age limit for their use. Policies differ because room/bed configurations differ. Some paradors have that extra space in their very spacious superior rooms and some have suites with separate living room that will, indeed, accommodate 4, but you have to inquire directly to know for sure.

I actually wouldn't recommend La Granja over Pedraza, because you just won't find the Parador there as charming as the Hospedería de Santo Domingo in Pedraza. The new la Granja Parador has a more corporate feel and was built in part to be a convention, congress type Parador.

In Segovia, there's the new and quite charming property mentioned in my guide, the Palacio de San Facundo, tucked away but within steps of the Plaza Mayor (a haven-I liked it a lot) or the more economical Infanta Isabel with balconied rooms overlooking the square. But again, you'd need to email them directly to ask about a suite or connecting rooms for 4.

In Lerma, the only inn to recommend is the Parador, which from Sun-Thurs has quite good rates. But the rooms to book there are the very large ones on the "noble floor", the 3rd floor rather than the 4th floor dormer rooms.
We're frequent guests here on the first night of our trips north from Madrid, coming directly from Barajas airport (a 2 hr. drive with coffee stop).

Ditto to Tordesillas, which should have those Tarifa Unica online rates available on most dates.

In Avila, I've stayed at the Parador along with the Palacio de la Velada, which isn't as intimate, but may have a well priced suite for 4, since it's much larger and does take groups (stayed there on an orchestra tour).

If you would consider inns in other Castilla y León towns, you may want to look at the Posadas Reales, (Royal Guest Houses) really charming properties, government inspected, that have lots of atmospher but are located in small towns.
http://tinyurl.com/akttry

Also check the listings of
www.innsofspain.com

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Maribel for your amazing contributions to this forum. We will definitely be getting in touch with the paradors individually to find out which ones are suited for our family. As far as Segovia, we found the Hotel La Casa Mudejar Hospederia, in a very central location which has a quad room for less than 120 euros mid-week. Do you have any info on this hotel?

We think we will spend 2 nights in Segovia (Wed and Thurs), 2 nights in Salamanca on Saturday and Sunday, with the middle night somewhere in between, hopefully in a parador. We'll head into Madrid on Monday after Palm Sunday. Anything to share on your favorite Salamanca hotels, or a great spot for that in-between night?
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 10:16 PM

Yes, I do know La Casa Mudéjar in Segovia, which has a nice, very central location off the main street leading from the aqueduct up to the Plaza Mayor. Its restaurant is also interesting, offering a Sephardic menu.

For Salamanca, I like the boutique hotel El Rector, which is family run and has lots of charm.
www.hotelrector.com

It's represented by Inns of Spain, Secret Places and JP Moser.

Since you said you would prefer non-corporate lodgings, I mentioned it first rather than the special boutique properties in Salamanca run by the NH and AC chains, but you can look at them too to compare and to compare rates.

5 star AC Palacio de San Esteban
www.ac-hotels.com

NH Palacio de Castellanos and its newer sister,
NH Puerta de la Catedral
www.nh-hotels.com