Family New Year's Eve in Paris

Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family New Year's Eve in Paris

My wife, two teen age daughters and I will be in Paris on New Year's Eve. What are the best things to do? What are the Paris New Year's Eve traditions? Where are fireworks?
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 05:00 AM

Be sure to go to Hediard near the Madeleine Church and buy some of their "house" Champagne for your NYE celebration. Their brut Champagne is excellent for the price, much better than brut Veuve Clicquot.

And then get some macaroons from Laduree.

Dreaful Defarge
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:25 AM

there are no fireworks.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:39 AM

Second that query: we'll be there with our 10 and 12 year old same time. I had read that there are fireworks at the Eiffel Tower on New Year's Eve. I figured we'd check out Pariscope once we got there for ideas, but would love to read any ideas Fodorites have.
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM

we will also be there with our 11, 15, 18 and 18 year old's friend...
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 05:20 AM

http://goparis.about.com/od/events/a/Paris_NewYear.htm

http://www.destination360.com/travel...ears-paris.php

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/444473

madero - above are some web sites with some suggestions. We will be in Paris for New Years (without children) and opted for one of the restaurants which offers over priced meals and entertainment.

The bridges, Champs Elysees, Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coeur seem to be major gathering spots. Yes, you will see some fireworks.
Perhaps one of the boat tours without the meal?
There is usually a concert at Eglise Saint Eustache, if you are into that sort of thing.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There are no fireworks. There have been fireworks twice in the last 10 years -- once for the Millennium and once to support the dismal 2012 Paris Olympic campaign. You can forget the fireworks.

The Champs Elysées is the main gathering point. It used to be a place to avoid due to the gigantic rowdy crowd, but it has been very calm for the past several years and probably gives the best New Year's experience if you want to be part of a festive crowd -- it also has far more variety for walking around between the Arc de Triomphe and Place de la Concorde instead of just standing around the Eiffel Tower or something.

Naturally, the weather will make a big difference. Nobody likes standing around for a completely symbolic event in sleet, for example.