Train from Paris to Chartres

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plan to be in Paris in September. Would like to go to Chartres for a day trip. Hoping to stay near the louvre and see that the train to Chartres leaves from Gare Montparnasse. Saw info that taxi took about 20+ minutes. Suppose the metro would be about the same? Are there frequent trains connecting Paris and Chartres? Any info appreciated. Would also consider day tour. Also hotel suggestions near Tulleries on or near rue de rivoli? Willing to pay up to 350 us dollars per night.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 12:05 PM

Have a look at these threads for info about getting from Paris to Chartres:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...de_France.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic....html#41163691

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic....html#41155299

Learn about the Paris métro system by visiting the official site www.ratp.fr

http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php?lang=uk
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM

<<Saw info that taxi took about 20+ minutes.>>

Do you mean in a taxi from Paris to Chartres? If so, that information is totally bogus. It's 55 miles.

Train information is at www.voyages-sncf.com. You can't take the métro to Chartres.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

No hotel to train station
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

FrenchM
Thank you so much for this info. I am also planning a day trip to Reims and think there is a fast train there leaving from another station. Again thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 02:24 PM

There are fast trains (TGV) frequently between Paris Est and Reims. The tickets go on sale 90 days in advance and the least expensive tickets are called PREMS. The closer to the date of travel, the more expensive the tickets are.

Tickets to Chartres are a set price with no advantage from buying in advance. If you are age 60+, though, some trains are offered at a discount. Ask for a Découverte Senior fare.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

MaineGG. Thanks for this helpful info. Not sure how far in advance I would want to buy as plans can change but I will keep this in mind.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Just an update. Have recently returned and took the train from Paris Montparnasse to Chartres . Just. bought tickets the day of travel and it was very easy Took tour van to Reims which was very good. It went to cathedral, two champagne houses and included a great lunch in Epernay. Well worth it.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:53 PM

I did this day trip two years ago almost to the day and guess not much has changed. It was a fabulous experience, Chartres is lovely, especially the old area and the square near the cathedral. There was a flower market the day I was there. I remember also a great pastry shop a few steps off the square, mouthwatering. There's a little train that takes you around the town, saves a lot of walking, it's open air and a lot of fun. It leaves from opposite the cathedral at regular intervals.
The walk from the metro station to Gare Montparnasse was quite a hike so I'd allow plenty of time to get there. I also bought a ticket at the station just before taking the train. The trip through the countryside is very pleasant and relaxing. I don't think there's any need to do a day tour from Paris to Chartres, I'd prefer to do my own thing anyway.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:55 PM

Forgot to mention, there's a very good information centre right next to the Chartres cathedral.