Reload this Page >

Family in greece

Search

Family in greece

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 10:22 AM
rodney goldenberg

Family in greece

I am planning to travel to Greece this summer with my wife and 2 teenage daughters. I will be there approx. 8 days. Suggestions on how and what to do the most with my time. We are flying in and out of Athens. Any suggestions will be most helpful.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 11:22 AM
T

Spend as little time as possible in Athens. Museum and Parthenon only things worth seeing. Join an organized tour to see the rest of the country. Having a tour guide is a must. Not as many english speakers as you would find in other parts of europe. Its a wonderful place, with great people, many historic sites and lots of good food. Enjoy

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Sue

Your daughters would probably enjoy the Plaka section in Athens; touristy as it may be, it's still fun for most people; I would recommend 2-3 days in Athens, then do a couple of islands, such as Mykonos and Santorini. Going on a ferry at least one way is an interesting and memorable experience that you shouldn't miss. We've traveled in Greece twice, independently both times, and found it very easy to do without any knowledge of the language. I don't think a tour guide is necessary.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 12:54 PM
SharonG

I agree with the other poster who said to spend only a little time in Athens. I absolutely loved going to Delphi. It is beautiful and mysterious and feels like you've been transported in time. It still has a very "holy" atmosphere.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Grasshopper

I think your daughters would love the Plaka. Also, I recommend a couple of night trip (lots of tours available) to Delphi and Meteora. Meteora is unbelievable. Then go to an island or two. If you want close in islands, Hydra and Aegina are easy hydrofoil rides.<BR><BR>If you want something really different, consider chartering a sailboat. www.gspc.com It's far cheaper than you would think and an unbeatable experience.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Dina

I was in Greece for the first time a few months ago. I disagree with the posters saying to avoid Athens. I'm sure there are hundreds--thousands--- of wonderful sights in Greece, but please see my illustrated travelogue page www.costumegoddess.com/athens.htm <BR>to see my explanation. I am glad we did not skip Athens. But also glad we experienced an island. I also have a Greek island travelogue page,<BR>www.costumegoddess.com/sifnos.htm