Family freindly destinations in Germany

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 04:18 PM
anne Sherrod

Family freindly destinations in Germany

I am going to Germany this summer w/husband and 3 children. We want to stay <BR>mostly in southern Germany in various towns. <BR>any suggestions for family freindly hotels/resorts and if a car would be better than taking trains for 5 people. I am <BR>nervous & excited and need some tips. <BR>Thankyou.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Russ

<BR>Hi, Anne. I'd be pleased to try to help you with some suggestions. Have you chosen your airport(s) yet? What are your travel dates, or approximate dates? Are you planning on biking/swimming/hiking type stuff in addition to general tourism? Lemme know and I'll do my best. <BR> <BR>Russ

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Lee Lybarger

I cannot answer your query as I have a closely related one. My wife and I are planning a trip to Germany 15-29 May and want to stay in mom and pop B&Bs. But where so find directories of such? Barnes and Noble lists over 900 titles of B&B directories including for various European countries but not Germany. We will be traveling by train and do not want to have to arrive early in the day in each town just to be sure of reserving a place to stay, hence we hope to make most reservations from here. Please advise. My phone is 740-369-9093

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Anne

russ, <BR>Thankyou for your response. We do want to do biking a little hiking & swim, <BR>maybe in Lake Constance. - Landau? <BR>Our youngest will have just turned 6!!! <BR>Are we crazy? <BR>TWA is our carrier and It is a mess <BR>Frankfurt or Paris is our airport.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:53 PM
Anne

Lee, <BR>I do not have B&B info, but I do have a great little book called Charming small hotel guides - Germany. I guess some of them may be what I consider a B&B It has pictures descriptions prices some areconverted castles others are homes <BR>purchased at Barnes& Noble

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Darrell

Anne & Lee <BR>Try this website for accomodations. You can choose the location and the price.http://www.reisen-mit-preisen.de/rmp...sh/framee.html <BR>Darrell

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 01:21 AM
Nancy

My sister & I went to Germany in 1999 and spent 3 weeks there. We drove everywhere & used Rick Steves books. His Europe through the Back Door books/approach were wonderful. He suggests the pensions/zimmers and we found that if we went by his book we were never disappointed. <BR> <BR>His web site is http://ricksteves.com/ <BR> <BR>He even has travel videos out & talks about traveling with children.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 01:23 AM
Zoe

Hi Anne <BR> <BR>The Black Forest is great for children. There's loads to do - sailing and watersports in the Titisee area, enchanting nature walks (the Triberg waterfall walk is great) and the Vogtsbauernhof outdoor museum at Gutach - which has reconstructions of traditional Black Forest dwellings that you can explore - is really good fun. <BR> <BR>A lovely and inexpensive hotel in the area is the historic Gasthof Hirschen. Very family friendly and in a lovely location. Also recommended by Karen Brown. The food is great too! Here's a link: <BR> <BR>http://www.landidyll.de/Hirschen/ <BR> <BR>The castles of southern Germany are also great for children. Meersburg is a lovely town on the Bodensee (Lake Constance) with a fascinating castle. We stayed at the wonderful Gasthof Zum Baren: <BR> <BR>http://www.meersburg.de/baeren/seite1.htm <BR> <BR>Nearby is the Zeppelin Museum and I'm sure you could take a boat ride out on the lake. <BR> <BR> <BR>You also mustn't miss Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau, the two fairytale castles of King Ludwig. You could spend a few nights in the Alps (Garmisch or Oberammergau) and take the train or cable car to the top of the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain. It's a great trip! <BR> <BR>Finally, I must recommend Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber. The Nightwatchman's walk is fantastic, as is the Kriminalmuseum (of medieval torture!) and your children will love Kathe Wohlfahrt's magical shop, filled with Christmas decorations: <BR> <BR>http://www.wohlfahrt.de/mainframe.html <BR> <BR>I would definitely recommend hiring a car. The German road system is excellent and you will have better access to some of the more rural locations. <BR> <BR>Anne, if you do a search for my name here, you'll find the two trip reports I posted after my trip in October 99. Every single place we visited was perfect for families! <BR> <BR>Happy planning! <BR> <BR>Zoe

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 03:33 AM
mark

the Black Forest is definetely worth a trip with children. I recommend to rent a car for the whole time. In the Black Forest there are exceptional resorts who also have kids-program (look in Fodors Hotellist for Hotel Bareiss and Hotel Traube Tonbach both in the charming Town called Baiersbronn). For Lake Constance you have to book as soon as possible because it is also very popular for germans to spend holidays there!! Dont miss the Bavarian Alps (Stay in Fussen where the historic castles are) <BR>

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Russ

Hi, Anne. I had trouble posting by message to you -- probably too long. I'll e-mail it instead, but if it doesn't show up, just e-mail directly (note: 3 s's together!). In a nutshell, I agree that Lake Constance is a great place for a family vacation and suggested the Mosel River Valley as well.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Paige

There's a really nice, little lake called Spitzingsee that would be a great place for a day or 2 with kids (and adults!). The lake is surrounded by foothills and is gorgeous. You can walk around the lake, rent peddle boats or canoes, swim if it's warm enough, hike and take cable cars up the mountains. It's next to Schliersee which is much bigger and more popular. I like Spitzingsee because even in the height of summer, it's not crowded. It's about 2 hours south of Munich by train and bus.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 02:53 PM
wes fowler

Anne, <BR>Southern Germany, that is Upper Bavaria, offers a wealth of family friendly destinations. Many of the Alpine lakes offer swimming, boat and canoe rentals, ferry rides. <BR> <BR>Drive to Kochel and follow the signs to the Freilichtmuseum von Glentleiten. This is an open air museum with over 40 Bavarian farmhouses dating back to the 16th century. There are regular displays of traditional craftsmanship. It is, in many ways, a Bavarian counterpart of America’s Williamsburg, Virginia. <BR> <BR>In Garmisch-Partenkirchen at the train station, there’s a cog-wheel railroad that will take you to the Schneefernerhaus Hotel, 8700 feet up the Zugspitze. From there a cable car will take you to the summit. <BR> <BR>The rural inns are extremely reasonable in price; since many of them cater to German skiers in winter you'll find some inns with apartment like facilities. I stayed in an inn in Hohenfurch on the Romantic Road in a huge room with modern bath, two burner stove, refrigerator, sink and two sets of tables and chairs, one in the room, one on the patio. The room, which could easily accommodate five, with breakfast cost 100DM. <BR> <BR>If you'd like some suggestions for what to see, where to go, I've got a number of itineraries that might be of interest. Feel free to Email me directly.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Anne

All of these tips are great and appreciated. I love reading them all. <BR>I have already booke a inn w/ some of theinfo/links i rec'd!!!